Time to travel again...

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Tuesday 30th August 2022

It has been three years since I flew across the Atlantic.

Let’s put that right, eh?

After consigning my English Pointer Marnie to the care of my housekeeper’s daughter yesterday evening, I attacked the task of packing. To do so with Marnie in the house would have led to numerous trip hazards as she tried to stow away in my checked bag. I’m finished by about 2200, with my only screwup being forgetting to charge the half dozen spare camera batteries I’m taking. I’m also taking five spare cameras (best not to ask).

I decide to have quiet beer to celebrate finishing packing - and three celebrations later get to bed.

Regular readers will be aware I have a tendency to get work done on the house whilst I’m away - and this trip is no exception. Darren, my landscaper/paving chap is going to pave three areas of the garden, two in the rear and one in front. I park my car right over the far side of the drive so it won’t get in his way.

I don’t sleep well, but this has the benefit of being able to swap camera batteries onto charge as required, leaving me with the all at 100% :)

I get up at 0700, ablute and get dressed, manhandling my massive new orange suitcase to the bottom of the stairs with some difficulty, then empty the bins, switch things off and generally try to ensure the house will still be here when I get back.

My good mate Adrian collects me at just after 0800 and we head for our first stop…

IMG_4666-X4.jpg

The pub for a spot of light breakfast.

More later…

We set off for Heathrow at about 0905, and make good progress until we reach the M25, which is always a crap shoot. Or a shit show. Today it was a shit shoot, and we lose about 20 minutes to congestion. Soon we’re turning off the M25 towards Terminal Five, where the British Airports Authority have found a new way to milk the poor air traveller - it now costs five pounds to drop a passenger off…

LHR%20One-X3.jpg

What next - bear traps inside the Terminal that cost £10 to remove?

I give my effusive thanks to Adrian and wheel my bags into the Terminal. I checked in online yesterday afternoon, so scan my boarding pass and passport, attach the label printed out by the automatic luggage eating machine, then watch it trundle off through the rubber flaps into the magic kingdom of luggage routing.

LHR%20Two-X3.jpg

OK, that’s the easy bit done - time for the mosh-pit that is security. It is very warm and humid - and the hundreds of stressed people in interminable queues do not make for the most relaxing environment. I’m soon sweating like Prince Andrew reading news headlines and feeling very uncomfortable.

IMG_4680-X4.jpg

Some light relief is provided by some participants in yesterday’s Notting Hill Carnival returning to the USA…

I eventually get to the TSA (equivalent) and chat brightly with the lady who’s unhappy lot it is to check me. I ended up getting the weird tubular X-ray thing, when the titanium in my right leg made the machine raise an electronic eyebrow. I’m soon through, trying to fit the stuff that was so well packed when I left home, back into the bag.

I get the lift down to the floor below, and home like a sidewinder on the duty free shop, where I have reserved a little something for Jorge. I wait, literally dripping in sweat, as the single girl serving at the concierge counter takes a full fifteen minutes to gift wrap a box for the customer before me. Eventually I pick up my purchase, manage to jam it into my carry-on bag, and wheel and sweat my way out of the shop area and find a seat and try to think cool thoughts. My tee shirt is soaked through, as is my hair. It’s about 23°C, but there’s no ventilation and the Terminal is completely rammed.

LHR%20Three-X4.jpg

I seek out a departure board, that tells me that the gate for my flight won’t be announced for an hour or so, about 10 minutes before boarding commences. Perfect - some of the gates are a fair hike - hope it won’t be one of them.
Eventually I manage to reach a reasonable body temperature, and open up a flight checking app, which tells me that my gate will be A10. This is a bit odd, since this gate, which has five sub-gates, is on the ground floor and passengers are bussed to aircraft and board via stairs.

Well, if it’s good enough for Air Force One, I suppose it’s good enough for me.

IMG_4682-X3.jpg

I make my way to the gate and spend some time sketching out the first post of my ride report on ADVrider (I’ll cross post onto UKGSer when I get to Portland).

Terminal Five is Heathrow's newest Terminal. It's architecture is modern and massive...

IMG_4684-X4.jpg

In no time it seems, I’m boarding a bus for our Boeing 787, then climbing the stairs. There’s a slight delay at the top of the steps as the cabin crew help disabled passengers who have just arrived on a lift thing at the opposite door. Soon, though they are open for business, and I show my boarding pass.

The flight attendant says “Ah, Mr Oughton, we’ve had to change your seat number” and he leads me into First Class.

IMG_4687-X4.jpg

Awesome :bounce1

My BA Pilot benefactor from UKGSer has dropped the captain of my flight a message and asked if I could be reseated at the pointy end, if there’s space. Today’s flight is only about half full, so apparently there was. I’m blown away by this - what a great way to start a holiday.:)

IMG_4688-X4.jpg

Rob, one of the flight attendants, brings me my complimentary wash kit, duvet and explains how to turn the seat into a bed. He’s also brought me a chilled glass of champagne “That’ll get you settled in” :thumb2

I stretch out and luxuriate in my unexpected good fortune, as we taxi out and get airborne exactly on time. We’ll be arriving at Portland International about 15 minutes early.

I darken the windows once airborne (nothing as crude as sliding blinds on the 787) and, once the seatbelt sign has gone out, familiarise myself with the in flight entertainment system.

I watch Dog, with Channing Tatum, which was worth watching (particularly the scenes set in Portland :lol3), and Belfast, with an unrecognisable Judy Dench, which is quite possibly the best film I’ve seen in a couple of years. Written and directed by Kenneth Branagh, I can’t recommend it highly enough.

I stretch my legs for a bit and grab a bottle of water (we’ve already been served a meal. As I wasn’t on the manifest as a First Class passenger, I have the same as those in the rear of the aircraft. It was hot and very tasty).

I watch some David Attenborough (The Green Planet) and listen to a podcast history of the codebreakers at Bletchley Park, whilst drafting this part of the ride report. The in flight Wi-Fi isn’t available today, so I just plod away in Notes on my iPad for now.

IMG_4691-X3.jpg

Rob asks me if I’d like a meal before top of descent - clearly some First passengers don’t, so he’s able to bring me a super meal and a G&T (Tanqueray or Aviation? - oh, Aviation please :) ). Metal cutlery, porcelain dishes, and a crystal glass for the G&T. How the other half live.
Sorry to sound daftly impressed, but this upgrade was a very kind gesture, and I’m still really stoked about it. Rob presses another G&T on me, promising to bring me a coffee afterwards…

We start our descent into Portland...

IMG_4693-X4.jpg

The engines are massive - allegedly bigger than the diameter of a 737's fuselage...

IMG_4697-X4.jpg

Mount Hood - generally a ski resort all year round - is looking denuded of snow. It has been a hot summer in Oregon, and the air temperature at PDX is 36C (89F).

We land fifteen minutes early and I am through Homeland Security (after getting my prints taken) and, after a short wait for the baggage to spit out of the carousel, through Customs in record time. I then follow the crowd to a bus, which takes us to the main terminal and the exit - where Jorge is waiting for me.

He quickly whisks me away through Portland's traffic and we're soon at his beautiful house. I get a lot of growling and hackles from Aster, but once Jorge explains I have come bearing gifts...

Rum%20One-X4.jpg

...she relaxes and welcomes me in ;)

I drag my luggage up to Jorge's spare room, then have a shower that was like a religious experience, before coming down and finishing this update to the ride report.

Good day. :)

Wednesday 31st August 2022

I turned in last night at around 2200, and slept remarkably well until I got up to use the bathroom at about 0700 - to be greeted by Aster in full berserker mode, clearly having forgotten a guest was staying :p

I get up and ablute at about 0730. I have deliberately been staying up late at home for the past week or so, and sleeping in, to get myself ready for the jet lag (this timezone is eight hours later than the UK).

Riverside%20One-X4.jpg

It's a beautiful cool morning, so Jorge, Aster and I sit out on the deck for some breakfast (just two coffees for me - still don't feel hungry)...

IMG_4700-X4.jpg

Aster, the world's most camera-aware dog, jumps on Jorge's lap for her close up, then goes back inside, to do important Aster stuff.

I go online and do something I have been unable to do in the UK, despite my best efforts - book a Covid booster shot. I really wanted to get one before travelling, as I've never had Covid, and my last booster was in Nov 21. Unfortunately, even though I will be due a booster in the UK in two weeks - and they were throwing unused vaccines out at the end of the day, the protocol would not let me get an early booster.
This meant I went through yesterday's mosh-pit at Heathrow masked, but nervous. When I arrived at my departure gate, I gave my face, hands and arms a good wash and applied anti-bacterial gel liberally.
As good fortune would have it, my upgrade meant I spent the flight fully isolated, so didn't feel the need to wear a mask, but I am determined to get a booster as soon as possible.
Ten minutes online gets me an appointment at the local Walgreen's drug store at 1230. :)

Riverside%20Three-X4.jpg

This gadget releases a vapour that keeps mosquitoes away :)

Jorge goes off to work, leaving me in the hands (paws) of Aster.

As regular readers will be aware, my normal strategy is to be on the road today, stopping when I get tired for the first couple of days, as a method of coping with jet-lag. For a number of reasons (primarily because I haven't seen Jorge for three years), I'm going to stay here until the weekend and then set off - probably towards the Pacific Coast Highway - on Sunday.

As I sit typing this, I watch the humming birds flitting around the feeders than Jorge has up on his deck. I try and fail miserably to get a pic of them as they're very wary - perhaps later...

Life is good. :)

I’m in too!
Been trying for years to get a first class upgrade on Ryanair but no luck yet!

It’s been a while, I’m in. Still using the Canon S series cameras?

So, Walgreen's texted us to say that they're not doing any more Pfizer vaccinations until a new version is delivered - due next month. This timing is not good for my purposes, so I rebook an appointment with Rite-Aid at 1620.

Jorge returns from work and we drive to the local BMW Dealer - Cascade Moto, to buy a set of brake pads for the front of Jorge's Adv.

Lunch%20Two-X4.jpg

This 1800cc behemoth was parked in front of the shop...
icon10.gif

Lunch%20Three-X4.jpg

Since I am going to benefit most from the use of the Adv's brakes, I buy them
icon10.gif
- at $100 a side...
eek7.gif

Hey-ho, time for lunch...

Lunch%20Four-X3.jpg

We spot a likely venue, near Lake Oswego - a very expensive part of town...

Lunch%20Five-X3.jpg

It's pleasant and cool - but the prices are very steep. Never mind - I'm on holiday...

Lunch%20Six-X3.jpg

Despite being admonished not to, I order lemonade...

Lunch%20Eight-L.jpg

...which is delicious, and arrives with a turtle-friendly stainless steel straw...

Lunch%20Nine-X3.jpg

Next up - Nachos! Brought by the charming Chantelle...

Lunch%20Seven-X4.jpg

Never had shrimp nachos before - brilliant...
DukeGirl.gif

Lunch%20Ten-X4.jpg

Jorge has a burger - the bill came to just over $50, including the obligatory 20% tip...
cool_shades.gif

We stop off at an Ace Hardware store and buy some brake cleaner and wire brushes, so we can clean up the calipers and fittings when we change the pads.

IMG_4732-XL.jpg

We're back at Jorge's house for about 1430...

Lunch%20One-X3.jpg

Welcome back....its been awhile :thumb.. looking forward to this...

So, time for my jab.

Unfortunately, the Rite-Aid pharmacy we selected for this job was apparently staffed by trainees - and the AC was out (it's 90F and humid). We arrive with stacks of time to go before my 1620 appointment - and still manage to be kept waiting until 1645 before being seen.

Pharm%20Six-X4.jpg

I bought a Halloween card whilst I waited.

Eventually I got my booster, although the pharmacist seemed very confused as to why I hadn't got one in the UK before I travelled (me too mate, me too...). I don't know what patients he's been used to vaccinating, but giving me a three second countdown and advising me to take a deep breath suggests that, frankly, they must be a bunch of big girls' blouses...

Eventually we're out into the cool of 90F sunshine...
cool_shades.gif

Pharm%20Five-X4.jpg

...and driving over to New Seasons supermarket, where it is "Silver Tsunami" day - Jorge's phrase for Wednesdays, when seniors get a 10% discount on their shopping. Jorge will be saving 10% because I'm there
lol8.gif

Pharm%20Four-X4.jpg

It has all life's essentials...

Pharm%20Three-X4.jpg

...like nut butter mills. Because buying a jar of peanut butter is so last year...

IMG_4750-X3.jpg

We go to the checkout - unfortunately staffed by personnel who failed Rite-Aid training...
fpalm.gif

But you can buy Cannabis gummies here - not the type that gets you high, but the type that sends you to sleep...

Back
Top Bottom