Supplier for maintenance parts

ktompkins

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,
I am from Newfoundland, Canada but have an 09' 1200GS in Kinsale. I am looking for a supplier for maintenance parts?
Plugs
Alternator belt
engine oil/filter
Gear oil
I am familiar with JT Motorcycles but wondering if he will have plugs & belt? I will be in Kinsale the end of September and looking forward to riding there again.
Thanks for any suggestions,
Kelly

Hey Kelly hope you enjoy yourself and the Irish hospitality we are known for. I'm sure JT Motorcycles will have no problem sourcing all of the parts you need if you give him enough notice. Any issues feel free to PM me as I can get all of the above requirements from my local motor factors.
Cheers .
Dub 24

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't see an email for JT Motorcycles but will try to call. I have been to his place to purchase items before and he has been great. Yes, I do enjoy the Irish hospitality. The eastern side of Newfoundland was settled by the Irish and the accent is still very strong. This will be my 4th trip to Ireland and I plan to make lots more!

Andy Hourigan just outside Newmarket, Co.Cork (not to be confused with Andrew Hourigan Motorcycles in Newmarket) is ex-BMW mechanic and really helpful guy.
He could likely have the parts in stock - 0872956045 (or +353872956045 from where you are)

Thanks for the heads up on the tariff. I found a used belt that I have here. I just wanted one for a spare as I am not sure about the condition of the belt on the bike. I will drop out to JT's once I am there.
Thanks

Thanks for the heads up on the tariff. I found a used belt that I have here. I just wanted one for a spare as I am not sure about the condition of the belt on the bike. I will drop out to JT's once I am there.
Thanks

I hope you have a fantastic trip.

Hello
Mahle\Knecht filters available at City Motor Factors, Kinsale Road, Cork. Ten mins from airport.
Conti belts or equivalent available from many motor factors too.
Usually overnight delivery for these parts.
Gear oil readily available of course. NGK plugs from local moto shops.
This based on R1150 experience.

Give me a list of part numbers and oil spec and I can pick 'em up for you in the coming week.
Save you faffing' about in the first days of your trip. And you'll have more time to enjoy a pint of *Murphys*.

Spare parts.

As long as you have the BMW part number, any BMW dealer should have to supply these.
I had some trouble with the different BMW franchises in Galway, snooty etc; but when they finally understood, that BMW parts will be shipped 'ex Germany' no matter what, I got the bits I needed.
Mahle, same issue with local suppliers, because they cant find the part numbers in their Mahle car literature, the fuel filters for example.
The other bits as in 'two wheels good'
Cheers and happy motoring.

Is it a non UK or EU thing,?

The amount of posts / YT videos of people with brand spankers

New bikes / cars, who rock up to a mom and pop type backstreet repair shop for a first service / repair on there brand new steed,

And then use pattern parts to carry out said service and repair

Do they not realise that the supplying main dealer does all that, and carrys the required oe spares for that reason ??

To the OP , without wishing to sound negative, any Motoraad dealer , will be able to supply the required service items you need

Hello
Mahle\Knecht filters available at City Motor Factors, Kinsale Road, Cork. Ten mins from airport.
Conti belts or equivalent available from many motor factors too.
Usually overnight delivery for these parts.
Gear oil readily available of course. NGK plugs from local moto shops.
This based on R1150 experience.

Give me a list of part numbers and oil spec and I can pick 'em up for you in the coming week.
Save you faffing' about in the first days of your trip. And you'll have more time to enjoy a pint of *Murphys*.

Thanks Two wheels for your offer but I am happy to take a ride out to JT's when I arrive.
All the best!

Righto. Maybe JT has a bigger range of parts than I imagined. Happy travels.
I had a look today and I thought I had an o-ring/crush washer kit for my hexhead but it is for a camhead.
I would like to change fluids; oil, trans, FD, brakes and put new crush washers/rings.
Two wheels good, is it to late to give you a list? Can I PM you? I am happy to trip around to pick them up but also happy for assistance? Looks like you are in Cork? I arrive Tuesday afternoon to Kinsale
Thanks
Kelly

Hi Kelly
Sure, I'll see what I can do. Lunchtime closing Saturday for motor factors and overnight delivery might make Tuesday deadline difficult.
You can't PM me, my subsciption expired.
I'm on the southside of city, not far from the airport.

Hi,
I did a search again on the crush washer/o-ring kit I have and it does include hexhead and camhead https://www.beemerboneyard.com/fnltrnscws3.html
Beemerboneyard.com is a USA company that I sometimes order from and they are great to deal with. So, items needed for 2009 R1200GS, Hexhead:
Quantity Part # Description
4L Synthetic, 20W-50 or 10W-50 or 5w-40 oil, API-SL, JASO MA rating (Note: I am open to what is used in your area but would like synthetic)
1 Oil filter, (brand can be what’s available)
1L 75W90 Synthetic gear oil (transmission & FD)
4 NGK DCPR8EKC Spark plugs (another brand is ok)
500ml Dot 4 brake fluid
I should have crush washers but if they have them I will get them just in case mine are wrong.
I won't have a sim card for my phone until I get there. How can I contact you? You can look me up on facebook messenger and send me a message? If you want to do that now at least we can connect?
Kelly Tompkins. There is a picture on my profile page of a 2011 R1200RT beside a lake. Message me and I will respond. Thanks

That looks fairly standard.
I'll need a Mahle\Knecht code for the filter. Bboneyard or Motorworks should list it. A motor factors won't have a catalogue listing.
Alu crush washers not likely to be available, just copper. I'll need sizes or I'll just get a selection. Mine are 16mm and 14mm. Realoem should list them.
I'm a FB refusenik. We'll probably have to arrange a dead letter drop in Corky Park. Are you flying to ORK - or sailing into Kinsale?

Edit: What about your alternator belt?

That looks fairly standard.
I'll need a Mahle\Knecht code for the filter. Bboneyard or Motorworks should list it. A motor factors won't have a catalogue listing.
Alu crush washers not likely to be available, just copper. I'll need sizes or I'll just get a selection. Mine are 16mm and 14mm. Realoem should list them.
I'm a FB refusenik. We'll probably have to arrange a dead letter drop in Corky Park. Are you flying to ORK - or sailing into Kinsale?

Edit: What about your alternator belt?

Mahle oil filter OC306
Oil drain 16mm
Gearbox drain 14mm
Gearbox fill 18mm
Plugs seem to be NGK DCPR8EKC as per motoworks
Gear oil can also be 75w90 or 80W90
I have an old alternator belt as a spare so I shouldn't need one.
Can you give me your mobile number and I can contact you when I get a sim card for my phone? I should arrive in Kinsale in the afternoon on Tuesday. I plan to do my maintenance on Wednesday if all goes well.
On a side note, check out our weather for tonight & tomorrow! 170kms/hr wind. https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/nl-18_metric_e.html

Back
Top Bottom