Relocation

shugie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Might be heading back north, wife's work have an office on the Stirling uni campus, youngest sprog is still being educated, best local school appears to be Dunblane, but house prices are not cheap there. Anyone fairly local to the area and care to comment on schools, good places, places to avoid etc.

I stayed in Falkirk for a while, so know that area a bit, Falkirk is a good bit cheaper, and commutable from Stirling, but not too sure what the schools are like. Ideally somewhere within staggering distance of a station to allow nights out in Embra and Glasgow.

I live in a Falkirk post code.

School-wise, the Braes High School has achieved one of the highest scores for what had been regarded as a mediocre school.

Larbert High was/is well regarded, as is Linlithgow High but you’re into Lothian costs.

I have 2 family members working in education, one in primary and one in secondary.

Shout if you have any queries for this central area.

Recently moved from Bridge of Allen after spending a couple of years looking for the right place. Very little available and very much a sellers market.
If schools are your main driver then I’m not best placed to advise. Otherwise happy to chat.

I live in a Falkirk post code.

School-wise, the Braes High School has achieved one of the highest scores for what had been regarded as a mediocre school.

Larbert High was/is well regarded, as is Linlithgow High but you’re into Lothian costs.

I have 2 family members working in education, one in primary and one in secondary.

Shout if you have any queries for this central area.

Seen that Linlithgow High is good enough that folk in Falkirk try and get their kids in there, and yes Lothian costs are noticeably higher. Will look at Braes, is that Polmont area catchment?

Recently moved from Bridge of Allen after spending a couple of years looking for the right place. Very little available and very much a sellers market.
If schools are your main driver then I’m not best placed to advise. Otherwise happy to chat.

I'd noticed that what is on the market is not that brilliant, and far from cheap. Does that mean the "offers over" really means a hefty offer on top?

Stirling

Hi Shugie,
Tillicoultry is a nice small town/village not far from Stirling Uni, prices reasonable, couple of local pubs and on the fringe of some stunning views and roads, no station though, not far from Stirling Station.

Stirling

I forgot to add, give Polmont a miss to close to the young offenders jail and nothing there a part from that.

I went to Stirling Uni. The Queens Hotel in the Bridge Of Allen was our local. Some chap called Ranauld was the manager at the time but I’m going back to the late 80’s. :D

I forgot to add, give Polmont a miss to close to the young offenders jail and nothing there a part from that.

I grew up in Polmont.

The YOP isn’t in Polmont. It’s a few hundred yards from my current abode. Can hear the inmates hollering out the windows sometimes on a quiet evening when the mood takes them. Many years ago my wife and I endured some serious verbal abuse while strolling along the canal path. We chuckled.

Meanwhile - I don’t think kids from this area attend Linlithgow HS.

Graham HS handles east side of Falkirk - not recommended.

The RC schools are pretty well respected in comparison.

Larbert is spreading like a rash and outgrowing the infrastructure.

What about Alloa? It's been coming-up since the train link was re-established. I have no idea about schools. I lived around the area for 23 years, and still meet up with mates from Alloa area frequently (I do an annual "Euro Trip" with the guys). Having a train connection is key for me, so I can get about without driving, especially for a social visit to Edinburgh or Glasgow...

If I were to move back, it would be on the A9 corridor - Bridge of Allan, Dunblane, or maybe up towards Auchterarder. As said above, good houses are hard to find in these areas - I guess you will need a garage for your awesome steed ;) Lots of properties in Bridge of Allan especially seem not to have garages...

Some friends of ours have moved within West Lothian to get their children in to Linlithgow Acadamy. Housing costs are a lot higher than just outside of the area.

Some friends of ours have moved within West Lothian to get their children in to Linlithgow Acadamy. Housing costs are a lot higher than just outside of the area.

Dunblane HS catchment is much the same.

I've looked at the villages east of Stirling, found some nice houses, but apart from the selective entry and exceedingly expensive Dollar Academy, schools are a bit meh. And for the next couple of years, that will remain the case.

I saw Alloa had got passenger service back, I believe it may get extended further east via Kincardine, Longannet and eventually Dunfermalino. Balfron HS is apparently ok, so something a bit west of Kippen might work if Dunblane does not.

Local estate agent coming round tomorrow to give us an initial valuation, then we will know what we have to spend, although the difference in prices between West Berkshoire and Dunblane, for a 4 bed place at least, is a bit less than I was expecting, a garage is essential, and ideally space for a man cave if there is not already one.

And then I have to work out how to cope with the two rather different ways of selling and buying, with contracts at very different points in the procedure,

And then I have to work out how to cope with the two rather different ways of selling and buying, with contracts at very different points in the procedure,

Your lawyer/estate agent up here will guide you but you may find that market forces make these differences academic. In the past year or so, popular hot spots led to a seller's market in these areas and the old legal strictures re the sanctity of the written offer were effectively abandoned. Recent interest rate hikes and the increasing pressure of inflation may have changed things but I suspect you may find that cash is king.

Sent from my moto e30 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom