Which model is preferred out of the middleweights

Captain jack

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking seriously at getting a middleweight gs and am especially pleased that they all appear to be under 200kg. Am not one for excessive technology so am thinking pre throttle by wire. Interested to hear views from long term owners. Tia

Love my 750. It's got lots of tech, but all of it useful - gearshift assist, cruise control, heated grips, keyless. I fiddled with the riding modes until I found a setup I liked, never touched it since. I dithered about the TFT, it was an option and I could easily live without it, but it came as one of the 'packs'. It's nice to have. Once you get moving none of that matters, and it's just a great middleweight bike that feels exactly what it is - the GS's little brother.

On my 4th F8GS (keep selling them then realising my mistake and buying another :nenau) and I've had a F650GS Twin as well.

Only ever had the pre- electric throttle versions, so cannot comment on that type except to say that I'm more than happy with a throttle cable, thank you very much :D

Fantastic, do-it-all machines IMHO that have very, very few foibles (un-like their horizontal pitoned relatives). Early machines had chocolate chains, slightly under cooled stators and head race bearings that you had to check and keep checking until you put your own ones in.

The 650 twin version felt smoother than any of my F8 bikes. Don't know why, but they have less power and are geared higher, so maybe those differences help it feel smoother. It might be that the 700 version released 2013 onwards feels similar, but I've not tried one. I adjusted the gearing on my F8GSs after having the 650 twin version by fitting the bigger front sprocket from the 650 version. Drops the revs by just under 500 in top but still pulls well in the lower gears when riding off road.

For me, the post 2012/13 bikes (700 & 800 version) have improvements that make them better than the 1st versions - no floppy front brake master cyclinder, re-positioned rear brake master cyclinder and the reg/rec was also moved to make it more crash safe. They also got a better center stand - proper legs and not those bent tube things the 1st versions came with.

If you want a pure road bike then the 650/700 versions are great. If you want more ground clearance or you have overly long legs, then the 800 versions would work. For me it's the ground clearance of the 800 for dirt work and (pathetically) I think they look reet cool (not that the 650/700 versions are hipahogapigs).

Go try the one that you feel will make you smile the most when you open the garage/shed door. If it does the same when you ride it, your onto a winner.

I've ridden bothe the latest 750/850 versions and thay did nowt for me, hence my 2014 F8GS still gets abused on the trails in the Dales when I'm down that way :thumb2

All of the above is just my blethering opinions :D

SteveT

:dragon

PS - And it only has switchable ABS, that doesn't really go wrong, unlike those later versions with electronic rear suspension and the newest 750/850 versions with all the fuel upstairs and more electronics than the space shuttle had (more to fail IMHO)

How do folk rate the F 900 XR? There isn't a forum for them yet, and they don't seem to get mentioned a lot.

I've got a 1250GS at the moment but was thinking of down-sizing for a little less weight, but after 20+ years of shaft drive, I'm not too sure if I want to go back to a chain.

I tried the 900XR before I bought my 750 (weirdly they both have the same 853cc engine albeit tuned differently). I really liked it for short journeys, but I found the 750 more comfortable for trundling about lanes looking at pretty scenery, and whole day / multi day trips. I’d love to have one, but not as my only bike

I love my 650 Twin, not ridden the 800's though.

Main purpose is commuting & road touring - I have a smaller bike for lanes - & the 650 is great for it!

D

I have a 800GS bought from this parish back in February this year. I had big plans to go summer adventures but I’ve actually been nowhere on it or my other bikes for that matter. Life just gets in the way sometimes. The total distance I’ve covered equates to 20 miles which was to the garage for its MOT last week and that’s been it. I can say though that for those 20 miles it felt a fantastic bike but it should be getting used so if you’re interested @Captain jack I can give you more details as I’ll advertise it soon. 2017 F800GS Trophy 18k miles Full Year’s MOT as of last week.

Got a 750GS sport as a loaner at the moment. Really like it, would buy one.

I've had my F800GS, 2010, since new. It's been basically a daily commuter since then, as well as trips every now and then. It's the most brilliant bike I've ever had - I often think about changing, but can never justify it. It's never had anything go wrong (touch wood), just needed service items (plus the head bearings). Its comfortable, powerful, and just keeps going (touch wood again). It would be my round-the-world-bike if I ever get to that dream. Stock headlight however is complete rubbish, just upgraded to an aftermarket LED headlight unit together with a couple of Denali spots and lighting is now brilliant. Even thinking about buying another later model one, as they are getting slowly scarcer...

Definitely less for sale than the 1150/1200/1250

Attachments

• CD66A3B7-7D9A-4397-9DE5-BE09AC205A36.jpg
    CD66A3B7-7D9A-4397-9DE5-BE09AC205A36.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 248
I have 5 BM's and I've said many times to friends if I had to pare them down to one I would keep my F800GS as it's the one that does most things I need from a bike :D

Having said that, when I took out a demo originally I tried the f700GS first and have to admit the slighty softer tune and taller gearing make for a more pleasant road bike.

Thanks for the opinions. I am heading toward the 700 but possibly the 650 (800)

Back
Top Bottom