Ohlins or Wilbers units wanted for 1150gs

simondippenhall

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Decided after a good chat with Jonnyboxer in Leenane that it would be good to upgrade my suspension so have posted in the Wanted section.

Decided after a good chat with Jonnyboxer in Leenane that it would be good to upgrade my suspension so have posted in the Wanted section.

You will have a ‘magic carpet’ ride

Great improvement for sure

Nice to ride with you all yesterday-good roads and just the right pace to explore and the weather made it excellent

a61ebaff0038b8fb1927176213153cde.jpg

Thread hijack.

I want the same for 1200 Hexhead so if a bod is digging out suspension bits…..

Have you thought about having your shocks serviced? I had mine serviced and the correct springs fitted to my weight and it has transformed how the bike feels now.
I used Denz0 at t-tech suspension. If you call Lucasz and explain what you what you are trying to achieve I'm sure he will be able to offer some great advice and the upgrade could be a fraction of the cost of Ohlins etc....
Secondhand shocks are fine but will still need to be serviced and set up properly to get the full benefit.

Have you thought about having your shocks serviced? I had mine serviced and the correct springs fitted to my weight and it has transformed how the bike feels now.
I used Denz0 at t-tech suspension. If you call Lucasz and explain what you what you are trying to achieve I'm sure he will be able to offer some great advice and the upgrade could be a fraction of the cost of Ohlins etc....
Secondhand shocks are fine but will still need to be serviced and set up properly to get the full benefit.

Interesting thought - thanks!

Hi Simon, I have Ohlins on my 1150GS, they do indeed give a "magic carpet " ride, however be prepared to get them serviced, I have had mine done twice now, small leaks seem to occur if bike not used for a while, I was advised to take bike off stands and bounce it up and down at least monthly:D Ohlins servicing is expensive too:eek:Cheers:beerjug: John B

Thanks John; my budget leads me to the magic skills of Denzo who will service my existing rear suspension when I get around to removing it.

Any tips or advice on the removal process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simon,
firstly soak the bolt in plus gas or similar, especially on the swing arm side.
When ready to remove put some heat into the swing arm especially round the bolt location and pray that the bolt comes out easily.

On my Hexhead the bottom bolt on the rear needed a nice bit of heat, I used an adjustable heat gun (turned up to 160º I think) and an electric ratchet gun. Nice feeling, dugga dugga dugga and then it slowly starts to turn :)) and when you get it out you can see there was a thread locker applied and I guess you are warming this until it releases.

Just collected the GS this morning from Lukascz (Denz0). He replaced the front suspension unit with a new YSS unit and serviced the rear unit, replacing the rear spring at the same time.

What a difference it has made! Loving the ride now, and all done for a very reasonable price (IMHO).

The bike has done over 100,000 miles and the old units were (unsurprisingly) somewhat corroded.

Just collected the GS this morning from Lukascz (Denz0). He replaced the front suspension unit with a new YSS unit and serviced the rear unit, replacing the rear spring at the same time.

What a difference it has made! Loving the ride now, and all done for a very reasonable price (IMHO).

The bike has done over 100,000 miles and the old units were (unsurprisingly) somewhat corroded.

Exactly what I did to mine, the perfect upgrade and a massive saving against new Ohlins. Denz0 really knows his stuff.

I did the same thing, YSS front and rebuild with new spring on the back. Just under £600. Everything came undone pretty easily, the hose for the HPA is a bit tricky but you don't have to dismantle anything to remove / install it.

Smug git here got hold of new front and rear Hyperpros from eBay.de for €220 delivered, still boxed…

That was somewhere like 14yrs ago and it cost me more to get them refurb’d last year than they cost new. Denz0 did an awesome job and was excellent value (not his fault I virtually stole them from their former owner)

What a lot of folk don't realise is sometimes how quickly shocks reach a point where they are well past there best despite not showing any outward sign of failure.
I seem to remember shock manufacturers recomending car units be replaced at around 50K miles. As the damping performance degrades slowly over time most folks simply don't notice the loss of damping performance.
That obviously doesn't take into account the fact that on a motorbike, the rider weight forms a greater percentage of the dynamic mass the suspension is trying to control so it's of significantly greater benefit on a moto compared to a car to get spring weights and valving tuned specifically for you and the type of riding you do.

The telelever front on a GS is a superb platform but correctly tuned shocks in good condition take a great platform to the sublime. Forget exhausts, tuning chips or any other 'performance' upgrade, suspension tuning is where it's at to get the best bang for your buck :)

I have a Maxton on the rear of my 1150, custom built. I've also just put one on my 1250 after not getting on with the ESA. Have used them for years and would not use anything else now.
They never leak and Richard Maxton is extremely knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom