Is the S10 the best value ADV bike out there?

Sgt Bilco

Dream Maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Is the S10 the best value big ADV bike out there? Well, after a year of ownership I think it probably is.

I've just got back from a weekend on the West Coast of Ireland with the Irish tossers and the bike just does everything with no fuss or drama.

It took me a while to get the ergonomics, fuelling and suspension right but once that is done it's an almost perfect bike.

Over that last 3 days, I've done 892 miles on everything from the twisty A5 through Wales, the arrow straight N6 in Ireland and the nadgery and gravelly boreens beloved by tossers on the sceptred Isle.

As a mile muncher on motorways, there is little better as it just sits there on cruise control perfectly happy at whatever speed is set and the weight of the bike keeps is rock steady in the blustery conditions.

In the twisties, it's sure footed and solid as long as the tyre pressures are right. I've noticed that any drop in pressure on the front really unsettles it so you have to keep a regular check on it.

On the gravelly boreens and rough back roads, the suspensions soaks it up and with bar risers, standing up on the pegs is perfect and it just deals with it.

The whole weekend returned an excellent 54.4 mpg and I definitely don't hang around. I know it isn't high on the list of important things but with price of stuff, every little helps.

All the other ADV bikes out there have their plus points and will trounce the S10 in certain departments but overall and in the real world, the S10 can live with them and given the price of it (if you can get one), it has to be the best value on the market.

I refer to it as an R1150GS on steroids brought bang up to date and in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with that.

Attachments

• IMG_2692.jpg
    IMG_2692.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 775
  • IMG_2714.jpg
    IMG_2714.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 778
  • IMG_2722.jpg
    IMG_2722.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 771
  • IMG_2743.jpg
    IMG_2743.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 770
I couldn't disagree with that. I hadt a serious case of sellers remorse when I sold mine. It was a case of having to as the size and weight was getting a bit too much for my knackered hip and knees.

It's a great bike, a shame that it's discontinued, it leaves an obvious hole in Yamaha's range.

Am I right in thinking that 2020 was the last year for these?

I'm looking at a new 1250RT to supplement my R1150GS but do wonder if I'd be happier on a s/h S10.

It's a great bike, a shame that it's discontinued, it leaves an obvious hole in Yamaha's range.

Am I right in thinking that 2020 was the last year for these?

I'm looking at a new 1250RT to supplement my R1150GS but do wonder if I'd be happier on a s/h S10.

2020 is the last year and I believe mine is the last one registered.

It's worth getting a test ride to see what you think.

are they really tall though? Thats an issue for mwa..

not really tall. I had one and I am only 5'8" but have 31" inside leg. As Gyp said, "you can flat foot that both sides, you cúnt," as we pulled up to some traffic lights. He's 5'10 but has stumpy legs. Traded mine in for a lighter bike when quite poorly, as they do carry the weight high up, but nowhere as bad as a 1200 Tiger.

A perfect description by Sgt. Bilko of the most under rated, exclusive Adventure bike you can buy. If you can find one in nice condition, then buy it! You will not be disappointed!

indeed brilliant bikes and my choice if I were to "go large". also worth considering and probably better valve is the DL 1000 vstrom available at £8500 brand new with a 3 year warranty .

I agree with all of the above,
However,
As good as the S10 is in its build quality,reliability,etc,etc.
It doesn’t have this,
Which is what sets the GS above the competition.

Attachments

• F560D41F-158F-4CA9-8355-8B49DFF21DB7.jpeg
    F560D41F-158F-4CA9-8355-8B49DFF21DB7.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 601
Ive had my 2014 S10 a couple of weeks now having had 15 boxer engined BMWs since 2005.

The S10 is an impressive bike, more than happy with its abilities. Does it have the low end grunt of the Boxer? No because its a Parallel Twin however saying that it has more than enough to keep you happy even two up.

It gives me security knowing it will always start, the electronic suspension works without issue or complaint, its biult like a tank and doesn't dissolve.

It has the electronic plush suspension, posh screen, excellent wing protection with touring screen in fact I havent had my visor down for days!! Comfort is good but always a personal choice. Its not an 1150 and its not a1200LC it sits nicely between the two with the good. bis of both. A modern version of the 1150? maybe.

The engine on the S10 sounds noisy in comparison to a Boxer, some one described it a like throwing a tool chest down a flight of stairs! It has character and it makes different noises but it goes really well, takes you everywhere reliably and is economical. Whats not to like.

Yes it has those fork things at the front and will never be a precise as the Boxers but it gives them a good run for their money and to top it off all this performance, economy, comfort, reliability all comes £1000's cheaper than a Boxer!

I know I could go in to the garage right now and ride the thing to Greece and back without a second thought. On my Boxers of all descriptions I would. be considering batteries, clutches, hall sensors, clutch slaves, spokes, fuel pumps, coils, before I opened the garage door!

I for one wont be changing for a while. I found the secret unicorn.

I've had my 2016 from new and considered putting it in against a 1250 GSA, the GSA was much smoother and quicker but when I got back on the S10 it felt far more planted and comfortable. I've spent time getting it right and it's nearly perfect now.

At first the throttle in S mode is a bit snatchy but you can learn to live with it or have it flashed.

Its let me down once but it was my fault, as I knew the battery was knackered.

If you are thinking of one get a long test ride as it's never going to set your pants on fire at first but it's a real grower.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

As for the weight "high up"? I found mine to carry its weight low down..hence the reason i bought it...Now a Crosstourer..thats high up weight!

Just got to 24,000 miles on mine, it's taken a while, more working from home since lockdown has kept the mileage down since I got it in 2020. Reliability is not all it's cracked up to be. I have replaced a headlight bulb already!

I agree with all of the above,
However,
As good as the S10 is in its build quality,reliability,etc,etc.
It doesn’t have this,
Which is what sets the GS above the competition.

Very true, the telelever front end is brilliant, but that on its own is useless if it doesn’t have build quality, reliability, etc, etc :blast

Now on my 4th S10......1ST was an ex demonstrator traded for a World Crosser. Got knocked off that so traded for a 2ND gen with auto sussies. Only traded that after 50K miles last year to get one of the last pre reg in the country whilst they were still available.

Done close to 100k on them and the only problems I have had have been self inflicted or after market accessories.

Also ride a 1250GSA which is a marginally better bike to ride ( better power delivery, brakes, suspension, TFT etc IMHO) but the S10's are bullet proof. I hope to keep and be able to ride the S10 for many years to come but I would not own a 1250 without warranty

The S10 is like the wife.....trust worthy and reliable whilst the GSA is the girlfriend around the corner........very exciting in the short term but needs swapping every couple of years

Mike

Just got to 24,000 miles on mine, it's taken a while, more working from home since lockdown has kept the mileage down since I got it in 2020. Reliability is not all it's cracked up to be. I have replaced a headlight bulb already!

My H7 lamps needed replacing in 6yrs of ownership,

Brilliant bike...so my 04' 1150ADV will be getting sold in the Spring ! I was going to hang onto the GSA but after 2 years and 18k miles I really don't see much point in keeping it..as the S10 does everything I need.
I've changed the springs , both front and rear, raised the rear by 20mm, altered the footpegs bar seat and screen..and now it's as comfortable and planted as I'd like it.
I'm just home from a 9 week 6k mile trip and unfortunately she let me down....failed Air Intake Pressure sensor, first generation problem..no big deal.

Other than that :D

Brilliant bike...so my 04' 1150ADV will be getting sold in the Spring ! I was going to hang onto the GSA but after 2 years and 18k miles I really don't see much point in keeping it..as the S10 does everything I need.
I've changed the springs , both front and rear, raised the rear by 20mm, altered the footpegs bar seat and screen..and now it's as comfortable and planted as I'd like it.
I'm just home from a 9 week 6k mile trip and unfortunately she let me down....failed Air Intake Pressure sensor, first generation problem..no big deal.

Other than that :D

A breakdown don't count unless you are recovered by breakdown recovery truck, anything else is an inconvenience. I had a fuse blow due to me plugging in a 12v compressor into the Aux socket plus a battery died on the day I sold it after 5 years (£50). My 2008 1200 GSA had 3 in 4 years (£100+ea) only 1 under warranty plus lots of other bits.

Back
Top Bottom