Is the S10 the best value ADV bike out there?

A breakdown don't count unless you are recovered by breakdown recovery truck, anything else is an inconvenience. I had a fuse blow due to me plugging in a 12v compressor into the Aux socket plus a battery died on the day I sold it after 5 years (£50). My 2008 1200 GSA had 3 in 4 years (£100+ea) only 1 under warranty plus lots of other bits.

Yeah, just an inconvenience..
Stuck for 7 days in Greece, had to hire a car for 4 days to get my partner to Athens for her flight home, then several trips to Spata airport customs to try to negotiate early release of the part...which cost 140 Euro for a £155 part...and then there was the £60 that UPS charged me for fast delivery.
It was a breakdown AND it was both highly inconvenient and expensive.....

Sorry to degrade you misfortune it read as not much of a problem.

Not a problem, it was just one of those unexpected things that grew arms and legs !

I love my S10 :D

But I have another negative story...

When I bough it I done my usual, full service and checkover...found a seized spark plug. Spent a week trying to free it off and it eventually...snapped !

So, engine out, head off and sent to the machine shop...so why don't I fit the 2nd generation pistons and rings while I'm waiting for the head to come back :rolleyes:

The machine shop guy told me that the plug / head had fused as one solid substance, and at only 14k miles on a 14' plate ( 2013 ) bike.
Shit happens, but I have taken precautions so that this will never happen again, well not to my bike !

These bike are ace but, do the basic maintenance and make sure that you make up some sort of splash guard to stop water getting fired onto the rocker cover. I now change my plugs annually and nobody will persuade me otherwise..
The Air Intake Pressure Sensor on Gen. 1 bikes are a known problem but not one that you would immediately think of changing out.

Did I say that I love this bike :thumb2

Not a problem, it was just one of those unexpected things that grew arms and legs !

I love my S10 :D

But I have another negative story...

When I bough it I done my usual, full service and checkover...found a seized spark plug. Spent a week trying to free it off and it eventually...snapped !

So, engine out, head off and sent to the machine shop...so why don't I fit the 2nd generation pistons and rings while I'm waiting for the head to come back :rolleyes:

The machine shop guy told me that the plug / head had fused as one solid substance, and at only 14k miles on a 14' plate ( 2013 ) bike.
Shit happens, but I have taken precautions so that this will never happen again, well not to my bike !

These bike are ace but, do the basic maintenance and make sure that you make up some sort of splash guard to stop water getting fired onto the rocker cover. I now change my plugs annually and nobody will persuade me otherwise..
The Air Intake Pressure Sensor on Gen. 1 bikes are a known problem but not one that you would immediately think of changing out.

Did I say that I love this bike :thumb2
Sorry to read that story.

Everyone with a S10 should take something from this story.
The cam cover will never stop water entering the spark plug orifice.
I did silicone sealant the rubber washers on the coil sticks.Covered the washers in silicone grease.
Spark plugs out new (cheap model anyhow)plugs and copper slip on the thread’s.every year yes every year I owned the bike.

Good heavy bike but keep an eye on spoke tension and change the spark plugs,you have been warned

I used dialectric grease on the new coils (it misfired in the wet). Added a pyramid fender extender and will put an old number plate in front of the plugs/coils to further stop water ingress, and oh, fitted iridium plugs.
Ready for the india trip.

I used dialectric grease on the new coils (it misfired in the wet). Added a pyramid fender extender and will put an old number plate in front of the plugs/coils to further stop water ingress, and oh, fitted iridium plugs.
Ready for the india trip.

I have had a Pyramid extender, an old number plate splash guard and loads of Dialectric round the coils but every year I change the plugs after around 9k miles they are still corroded from moisture getting in.

Oh, and remove those tin shrouds from the plug coils as they swell and can seize down there after a while !

India on a S10 sounds amazing, enjoy :thumb2

Even after using my bike in all weathers over the last 15months my plugs came out just fine. 12000miles and they look so good I just gave them a clean and regapped to the min gap. Put them back in with a good wipe of rubber grease around the coil packs. Can’t see any reason to change the plugs for another 12k. But the air filter that’s supposed to last 24k was filthy. Luckily I’d bought one so thats done too. And the final drive oil was filthy, heavily suggesting the dealer didn’t do it at the first service as per the shedule and theyre invoice!!

Even after using my bike in all weathers over the last 15months my plugs came out just fine. 12000miles and they look so good I just gave them a clean and regapped to the min gap. Put them back in with a good wipe of rubber grease around the coil packs. Can’t see any reason to change the plugs for another 12k. But the air filter that’s supposed to last 24k was filthy. Luckily I’d bought one so thats done too. And the final drive oil was filthy, heavily suggesting the dealer didn’t do it at the first service as per the shedule and theyre invoice!!

Had exactly the same at it's 6k service. The drive oil was rank and Nathan reckoned it was factory oil.

I used to have my bike service at Tinklers in Norwich and after the first service they gave me a half full bottle of Yamaha FD oil which I used to take to the next service and they used. So I was fairly certain the FD oil was done.

I've changed the final drive oil myself twice (I'm just up to 26k miles in 2 years) and it was done once at the running in service by the supplying dealer. The oil that comes out stinks even after a short time and mileage so don't assume it wasn't done previously just by the state of it.

I've changed the final drive oil myself twice (I'm just up to 26k miles in 2 years) and it was done once at the running in service by the supplying dealer. The oil that comes out stinks even after a short time and mileage so don't assume it wasn't done previously just by the state of it.

I change the FD oil every year regardless of mileage ( usually around 9k ) and it comes out as clear and golden as new...unlike my 1150GSA :rolleyes:
The swing arm setup on the S10 is spot on.

Gear oil stinks at the best of times but if it's clean that's what matters :thumb2

My mate reckons he’s only done his FD oil 3 times in somewhere near 80k miles, most recently just before a trip to Valencia, but he did say the old oil was totally clean. Is it a case that these FDs need cleaning out early on, but once clean and run in, they run fine for miles without issues?

I bought a 2013 model brand new. Only had 1 issue. I felt it needed a bit more oomph when 2 up fully loaded, so had a PC fitted. Definitely improved things a bit. Got caught in a winter rain/hail storm and the bike virtually died. Managed to get home the last few miles almost on full revs just to keep it going. Bike went back to Yamaha and they couldnt find any faults on their diagnostic systems but still the bike wouldnt run. In the end they disconected the PC and changed the TPS and another sensor, not sure which, and all was well. Cost me £700 though.

I'm just coming up to 32k miles. Booked the bike in for it's first valve check in late October when the nearest mechanics I can walk home from is quieter and I have done my last rally for a while.

Never had an S10 but did have the original when it was first launched in ‘89. I have to say my Crosstourer DCT has been the best touring ADV bike I’ve owned , lacking only cruise control. They too are fantastic value , much better build quality than a GS , 100% reliable , fantastic two up and it goes like stink. 9yrs old , best part of 40k on the clock and look almost new . I would never want to take it offroad though . I’ve bought a Norden to replace it because I wanted something much lighter but can’t bring myself to sell it even though I’ve sorn’d it and not ridden it since I MOT’d it at the beginning of the season.

Never had an S10 but did have the original when it was first launched in ‘89. I have to say my Crosstourer DCT has been the best touring ADV bike I’ve owned , lacking only cruise control. They too are fantastic value , much better build quality than a GS , 100% reliable , fantastic two up and it goes like stink. 9yrs old , best part of 40k on the clock and look almost new . I would never want to take it offroad though . I’ve bought a Norden to replace it because I wanted something much lighter but can’t bring myself to sell it even though I’ve sorn’d it and not ridden it since I MOT’d it at the beginning of the season.
Your CT is fairly special alright

Sent by an Android

Thank you . I bought it off Justin on this site many years ago . Its been main dealer maintained all its life , oil changes pretty much every year by me in between , brakes stripped and cleaned every winter , no expense spared to maintain . Faultless except for blowing 2 headlamp bulbs.

Attachments

• DB282760-037D-4EBB-A050-28B46255E76E.jpeg
    DB282760-037D-4EBB-A050-28B46255E76E.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 690D697E-6718-4959-985E-0983BD0FDEC2.jpeg
    690D697E-6718-4959-985E-0983BD0FDEC2.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 22
Glad to hear you’ve hung onto the CT Rushy, remember it well from the Oswestry Crosstourer meet and still looks a peach.
Must be honest I do miss mine somewhat, the long distance comfort, build quality and that peach of an engine, the only bike I’ve ever had to sell because I had to not because I wanted to.

Thank you . I bought it off Justin on this site many years ago . Its been main dealer maintained all its life , oil changes pretty much every year by me in between , brakes stripped and cleaned every winter , no expense spared to maintain . Faultless except for blowing 2 headlamp bulbs.

A chap brought one on one of my US coast to coast trips some years ago and it ate the job.

I had a go on it and it rode really well.

Back
Top Bottom