drive noise

scarf100gs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Any help appreciated in identifying possible drive problem with my 100rt. Wheeling out of the garage and noticed a "clicking" sound. Nothing noticable when running but worrying all the same. Using a long screwdriver as a stethoscope it appears to be coming from the gearbox end rather than the final drive, no problems with gear change, etc. Any thoughts?

I had something similar on my R90s it was the front UJ on the driveshaft.
You could move the bearings from side to side so as it rotated it just droped and made a click,click noise.
Be worthwhile checking it out.

That was my first thought also. Universal joint.
Then I noticed the very clean parts like the bike was apart recently? Loose UJ bolts or missing driveshaft oil? Pulling back the rubber at the gearbox end and turning again should reveal it.

Drain the oil from the shaft first that should indicate if the U/joints have failed.

Thanks, for all the ideas, the swing arm was replaced by the previous owner so can't believe he didn't check the uj but you never know! The bike has stood in my garage for a year so recently changed all oils and although I have put 500miles on her have never noticed the noise before, it seems okay when riding with no excess vibes, etc. Think the only real solution is to strip it down and investigate but will pull back the gaiter for a look first as suggested. Cheers

Not had much time to look into this and booked in for a run to Spain so opinions please. Will I make the trip or will it fail and end in misery, possibly worse!...
Let's guess the odds.....Cheers

If the UV joint is making that noise up on the stand and sounds iffy, imagine what could happen when it's revolving thousands of times an hour, under load.

The joint is obviously notchy. If it were my bike, I'd be making a beeline to Mikeyboy for a professional opinion and possibly a fix. If you do this as soon as possible, it may be fixed before your trip. Dither and you could be in trouble. What I would say, is that you'd have to be lucky to find the right mechanic/engineer whilst in Spain to get a fix on the road. Also, peace of mind is important. You know it's not right before you set off. It's going to be a constant worry as to whether it lets go whilst you're riding.

Good luck whatever you do. Hope you get it sorted. :thumb2

If the UV joint is making that noise up on the stand and sounds iffy, imagine what could happen when it's revolving thousands of times an hour, under load.

The joint is obviously notchy. If it were my bike, I'd be making a beeline to Mikeyboy for a professional opinion and possibly a fix. If you do this as soon as possible, it may be fixed before your trip. Dither and you could be in trouble. What I would say, is that you'd have to be lucky to find the right mechanic/engineer whilst in Spain to get a fix on the road. Also, peace of mind is important. You know it's not right before you set off. It's going to be a constant worry as to whether it lets go whilst you're riding.

Good luck whatever you do. Hope you get it sorted. :thumb2

Very sound advice - listen to tufty and seek out Mikeyboy pronto!

Not had much time to look into this and booked in for a run to Spain so opinions please. Will I make the trip or will it fail and end in misery, possibly worse!...
Let's guess the odds.....Cheers

Have you got AA recovery ?? To Home

I would likely slip the boot back and wiggle in a 10mm ringer with a small wall thickness and double check the bolts and do your best to observe the uj for movement If it is 2mm its buggered and get it changed

If its a very slight wiggle it should be serviceable

Also drop out the Speedo cable and see if it still makes the noise

Didn't Rainbows mechanic set up on his own a year or so back ? That would be a closer run for a check I remember Sean favoured the old bikes

Have you got AA recovery ?? To Home

I would likely slip the boot back and wiggle in a 10mm ringer with a small wall thickness and double check the bolts and do your best to observe the uj for movement If it is 2mm its buggered and get it changed

If its a very slight wiggle it should be serviceable

Also drop out the Speedo cable and see if it still makes the noise

Didn't Rainbows mechanic set up on his own a year or so back ? That would be a closer run for a check I remember Sean favoured the old bikes

Steve aka Rainbow workshop is now at Brigg, near Scunthorpe, Mikeyboy is near Melton Mowbray.

Steve aka Rainbow workshop is now at Brigg, near Scunthorpe, Mikeyboy is near Melton Mowbray.

ask me about a place in Ireland and I know how to get there and fairly accurately how long

Melton Mowbray sounds like a wee pork pie in a supermarket :aidan

Scunthorpe sounds like some kind of rash!! :eek

Thanks for all the advice lads, decided to have a look today and the problem was what Steve said, the UJ bearing is shot and moving from side to side! So, obviously going nowhere soon on this bike and a v.good job I took all your advice. Shaft off when I get back and a trip to motorworks. Any thoughts on the rebuildable shaft, is it worth twice the price of a re-con?
Thanks again :thumb

How often do you need to change the driveshaft ?

Will the next one do you 10 years ?

If I recall the Rebuildable ones are quite tight fit in the tunnel getting them in first time is a pain

Let me know what you are doing with the old one :thumb

If I recall the Rebuildable ones are quite tight fit in the tunnel getting them in first time is a pain

You're right, not sure I've got 10 years! :rob
Think the old shaft goes to Motorworks as part exchange, presume all they do for the recon is th UJ bearings.

Glad you found it.

Why did the person who made such a clean job of the swing arm not check it? Particularly if it was as rattly as that. I did run a 2 stroke a couple of miles before realising I'd forgotten gear oil. I got away with it as it was a running in job for new pistons, so 30mph and dawn of realisation before anything happened! I'd assembled it with plenty of oil as well. Stop at local garage and put whatever they had in the box.

I wonder if the same happenend here - no oil in shaft tunnel for a while?

Glad you found it.

Why did the person who made such a clean job of the swing arm not check it? Particularly if it was as rattly as that. I did run a 2 stroke a couple of miles before realising I'd forgotten gear oil. I got away with it as it was a running in job for new pistons, so 30mph and dawn of realisation before anything happened! I'd assembled it with plenty of oil as well. Stop at local garage and put whatever they had in the box.

I wonder if the same happenend here - no oil in shaft tunnel for a while?

Bought the bike from a friend of a friend, both into Airheads for many years.
The bike was very clean and much work had been done over the years, all the frame including swing arm had been stripped and powder coated, everything cleaned and reassembled with stainless, looked a v.good job. Several thou has been put on since the major work and 30,000 before so it was probably fine when the work was done, I didn't notice it either and because of the overall condition didn't expect it! Came with good history and all oils looked fine when I first changed them. Not a big job, just bad timing.

Think they are supposed to last around 40K miles , but a bit less for the GS as it transmits the power through a greater angle , so it has to work harder. I was told that the ones that are oil filled last longer then the newer sealed one's.

Back
Top Bottom