Zumo XT to SD Card?

47steve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have had a brief search into some of the threads but cannot find the answer.

I am looking at transferring my routes, which are on the XT to the SD card which is installed, to free up some space on the unit. Does anyone know if this is possible to do it from the unit or do I need to load them from the PC to the card and then delete them from the unit?

TA: beerjug:

Home Screen > Apps > Share Route > Memory Card > Chose route(s) you want to copy > Done

The route(s) will then be copied to the memory card.

To delete the routes from the device, you’ll probably still need to connect the device to your home computer and clear them separately.

Home Screen > Apps > Share Route > Memory Card > Chose route(s) you want to copy > Done

The route(s) will then be copied to the memory card.

To delete the routes from the device, you’ll probably still need to connect the device to your home computer and clear them separately.

Thanks very much for your wealth of knowledge ........

TA Steve

The good thing about having your routes on the SD card is that you can keep on importing them into the XT and then amending them as many times as you want.

The good thing about having your routes on the SD card is that you can keep on importing them into the XT and then amending them as many times as you want.

With the XT and other models, you can summon a route from the device’s internal (non-SD card) memory, then amend or even delete it. The original version will still remain and can be summoned up again.

With the XT and other models, you can summon a route from the device’s internal (non-SD card) memory, then amend or even delete it. The original version will still remain and can be summoned up again.

If you delete it how would I be able to summon it up again? Please excuse the ignorance as I'm still at the infancy stage?

TA Steve

If you delete it how would I be able to summon it up again? Please excuse the ignorance as I'm still at the infancy stage?

TA Steve

When you delete a route in the 'Trip' part of the device, it does not delete it from the device's internal memory. You can re-import it from there.

This is a safety net Garmin put into their devices a few years ago to:

a. Rescue people who deleted a route accidentally.

b. Allow bods to amend routes, without changing the original.

To fully delete routes on the XT (and some other devices) you have to connect them to a home computer and do it from there. It's maybe a bit of overkill; I would prefer that the device flashed up a warning saying: "Oy! Feckwit, are you sure you want to delete this route 'cos if you do it ain't coming back, mate?"

TA Steve

The thing about the XT is any imported routes to the internal memory, even if you delete them, they are still there in the gpx folder, so it doesn't free up memory. The only way to actually free up memory is to (a) put routes on the sd card in the first place (b) physically go onto the device via a computer as an external drive and delete them from the gpx folder. This by the way is very difficult from a Mac, as the Mac will not recognise the drive, but that is another story :)

Good job I scrolled down a bit as my next question of the day was going to be “SD Card, Why?”

I’ve never needed an SD card before and thought I’d play with one.

This solves my query about carrying a spare copy of my Routes for when an automatic recalculation rips up the Route when things go wrong along the way.

I have already loaded my Routes from Basecamp into XT SD card and Internal Memory.

Every day a school day.

Back
Top Bottom