Misinformation surrounding the Hex ezCAN.

Nick V

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all! :)

I notice that there's a lot of misinformation floating around regarding the ezCAN.
The first two misconceptions I'd like to bust is that "ezCAN X can fit any bike", and "There are only two / three / whatever different ezCANs on the market".

As I pointed out in a different thread, the following dedicated ezCANs are currently available:

BMW:
- R1200 LC (these ONLY work with K5x LCs).
- R1200 Hexhead (these ONLY work with K2x Hexheads).
- K1600 (these work with six-cylinder K1600s, S1000XR, and F750s, F850s and F900s).
- F800 (these work with all F800 models, and with K1300S and K1300GT).

KTM:
- All 790 models (partial support)
- All 890 models (partial support)
- All 1050 models (full support)
- All 1090 models (full support)
- All 1190 models (full support)
- All 1290 models (full support)

Harley-Davidson: All CANBUS-equipped models, including:
- Softail
- Cruiser
- Sportster
- Dyna
- Trike
- Touring
- Pan America

Honda:
CRF1100 Africa Twin

In total, there are currently nine different iterations of the ezCAN.
No ezCAN will work on any bike it wasn't specifically designed for. This is because ezCANs are designed to accomodate different CANBUS requirements between bike manufacturers - and also different CANBUS requirements within a bike manufacturer's product lineup.

Okay... I said in my earlier post that there are currently nine different iterations of the ezCAN.
That IS true - but the information I posted above is misleading, and the 'Edit' button seems to have been removed. So let me clarify:

There are currently nine different iterations of the ezCAN:

BMW:
- R1200 LC (these ONLY work with K5x LC boxers).
- R1200 Hexhead (these ONLY work with K2x Hexhead boxers).
- K1600 (these work with six-cylinder K1600s, S1000XR, and F750s, F850s and F900s).
- F800 (these work with all twin-cylinder F650GS, F700GS and F800 models, and with K1300S and K1300GT).

KTM:
Two different ezCANs are available: the ezCAN II and ezCAN II Gobi. Between the two, all the following models are covered:
- All 790 and 890 models, all years (partial support)
- All 1050, 1090, 1190 and 1290 models, all years (full support)

Harley-Davidson: All CANBUS-equipped models.
The ezCAN Daytona covers the following models:
- Softail
- Cruiser
- Sportster
- Dyna
- Trike
- Touring
The ezCAN Laconia covers:
- Pan America 1250

Honda:
The ezCAN Sahara covers the CRF1100 Africa Twin.

As a final point, the number of makes and models for which ezCANs are being made is increasing all the time. Watch this space. ;)

And to the layman where does the R1250GSA sit in that list?

I've been looking at getting one of these but if I'm honest I'm not entirely certain what I need to be looking for.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

And to the layman where does the R1250GSA sit in that list?

You'll need an ezCAN for R1200/R1250 LC. :) Both series use the same ezCAN.

Sorry... I've been thinking of BMWs by their BMW model designations for too long:
R5x are the liquid-cooled R1200/R1250 LCs.
R2x are the air/oil-cooled R1200s.

Every day is a school day. Thanks for that. Really useful.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Okay... I said in my earlier post that there are currently nine different iterations of the ezCAN.
That IS true - but the information I posted above is misleading, and the 'Edit' button seems to have been removed. So let me clarify:

There are currently nine different iterations of the ezCAN:

BMW:
- R1200 LC (these ONLY work with K5x LC boxers).
- R1200 Hexhead (these ONLY work with K2x Hexhead boxers).
- F800 (these work with all twin-cylinder F650GS, F700GS and F800 models, and with K1300S and K1300GT).

KTM:
Two different ezCANs are available: the ezCAN II and ezCAN II Gobi. Between the two, all the following models are covered:
- All 790 and 890 models, all years (partial support)
- All 1050, 1090, 1190 and 1290 models, all years (full support)

Harley-Davidson: All CANBUS-equipped models.
The ezCAN Daytona covers the following models:
- Softail
- Cruiser
- Sportster
- Dyna
- Trike
- Touring
The ezCAN Laconia covers:
- Pan America 1250

Honda:
The ezCAN Sahara covers the CRF1100 Africa Twin.

As a final point, the number of makes and models for which ezCANs are being made is increasing all the time. Watch this space. ;)

Just to add to this, for KTM and BMW bikes, we are able to determine which ezCAN is supported by your bike using the VIN, simply enter your full 17 digit VIN on our VIN decoder below:
https://www.hexinnovate.com/vin-decoder/

This will display the supported ezCAN and GS-911 (for BMW) devices, which you can order on our online shop or from a registered distributor near you.

For the RnineT bikes, these (with the exception of the following 2 TSNs: 0A06; 0A16) are now confirmed fully supported with the K1600 ezCAN as well. The 2 bikes mentioned are the first iterations of the RnineT which does not have the required CAN bus information to operate as expected. Our VIN decoder was updated to include the supported ezCAN for the other TSNs.

Fitted one to my 2011 GSA for camera. Simple to fit, easy to configure on a PC. excellent bit of kit.

Back
Top Bottom