Cheap laptop PC

Wapping

Reaction score
I am bored with my XT not talking to my Mac. I know the work around and can do it but I'd rather just plug the XT in and go from there.

As I am otherwise perfectly happy with my Mac's and iPad I don't want to spend a fortune, nor do I want to do much else with the PC.

Can anyone suggest something cheap but reliable that I can use, please.

Thank you.

Richard

Same with me Richard, just bought a windows laptop, just to use with the XT/MyRoute & HEX

What do you use the connection for, transferring routes from MRA only. Or other tasks too?

Dell Factory shop refurbed unit or something from John Lewis made by Lenovo. I have the latter for use with the Garmin and general internet browsing. It rarely leaves the sofa so I bought one with an old fashioned but massive spinning rust hard drive rather than SSD. This cut the cost at the expense of speed. As I don't carry it anywhere, I chose a 15.6" screen which helps with maps.

I take a 10" tablet and my phone on tour and ad hoc routes are plotted directly on the Zumo.

If you want to take the Windows thing on tour get one with an SSD and maybe no larger than 12" screen. The 12" Dell work gave me has been reliable, lobbed in a topbox, the car and carried to meetings around Shire Hall.

You don’t need much piff to run Basecamp and Garmin express. I have a pretty powerful windows/Linux desktop pc. But put a 250gb ssd in one of my kids very old Toshiba circa 2011 laptops (celeron B950 chip)and upgraded it to 8gb of ram. So I could plan routes while watching the tele :). Someone is probably giving away a similar spec machine. Runs Basecamp and office apps well. No good for photo manipulation or video editing. SSD makes it boot pretty quickly too:)

I have a Lenovo x250 I would be happy to sell at a reasonable price. Great robust little laptop

Would a Windows emulator on the Mac not work? Something like Parallels

I am bored with my XT not talking to my Mac. I know the work around and can do it but I'd rather just plug the XT in and go from there.

As I am otherwise perfectly happy with my Mac's and iPad I don't want to spend a fortune, nor do I want to do much else with the PC.

Can anyone suggest something cheap but reliable that I can use, please.

Thank you.

Richard

I bought an HP windows 11 laptop a couple of months ago brand new from Argos for 180 quid. nothing special but works great for Internet/email/updating my Garmin/etc etc

Device name LAPTOP-007PVLHK
Processor AMD 3020e with Radeon Graphics 1.20 GHz
Installed RAM 4.00 GB (3.38 GB usable)
Device ID E82B2254-A529-4F00-AB70-1D6B025927DB
Product ID 00356-02751-80881-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Richard remember with the amount of routes you have on board basecamp it will be slow to open with a lesser powerful device just saying.

Back
Top Bottom