Pushrod Tube Seals

Joe Bar

Too old to die young.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The left hand exhaust pushrod tube seal was leaking on my '79 R100S, I've just replaced the seals on that side and it's still leaking, probably worse than before. Everything looked clean and tidy when I took it apart and it has stainless pushrod tubes fitted, everything went back together quite smoothly and it fired straight up and ran sweetly, apart from dripping oil on the floor.

Any suggestions on where I might of gone wrong before I strip it again, or what the problem may be if I've managed do do everything ok?

That's pretty much as per the Haynes manual that I read through first.

Have you checked that the pushrod tube are assembles into the barrels to the correct depth ? this gives the correct compression of the seal to the crank case ?

Firstly,,try to identify that the oil is coming from the tube seals,
I’ve had a few instances where the tubes thru the heads have corroded.
If your satisfied the oil is coming from the tube seals to the crankcase it could be a few possibilities,
The push rod tubes are pushed too far into the cylinder barrel,
Or the flanges on the tubes have shifted ,both of which would not compress the seals sufficiently.
In any case,I always use a high quality RTV on both the tubes and the crankcase

It's only the exhaust tube on the left side. The tubes themselves look pristine, definitely no corrosion, I don't know when they were. The oil is definitely coming from the crankcase past the seal.

I didn't use any sealant, but the inlet is bone dry. So, it may be that the tube has been installed too far into the barrel and not getting enough compression.

Is there an easy way to rectify / check this without a full strip again?

It's only the exhaust tube on the left side. The tubes themselves look pristine, definitely no corrosion, I don't know when they were. The oil is definitely coming from the crankcase past the seal.

I didn't use any sealant, but the inlet is bone dry. So, it may be that the tube has been installed too far into the barrel and not getting enough compression.

Is there an easy way to rectify / check this without a full strip again?

Use a brass drift on the flange and try to push it down towards the block,mark the tube so you can see if it’s moving,nice and gentle,keep it square so the tube isn’t distorted or damaged

Edit,this will only work if the flange is a separate part from the tube,( most are)
Obv if the tube and flange are machined together it will not move.

Thanks, I'll take a closer look tomorrow when I'm back in at work.

Use a brass drift on the flange and try to push it down towards the block, mark the tube so you can see if it’s moving, nice and gentle, keep it square so the tube isn’t distorted or damaged.

I made some time to take another look this afternoon, got my hammer out, tapped the collar down by about 3mm and this appears to have sorted it. :thumb2

You can see in the photo how far I went. Many thanks for your input and advice gents, it's much apprciated.

vg7PpQ.jpg

Back
Top Bottom