Zumo 550: touch screen not sensitive enough.

Nick V

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all!

I've had a Zumo 500 for years. A few days ago, I bought a used Zumo 550 (it was going so cheap, I couldn't refuse), thinking I might use it as a backup unit.

There is a HUGE difference in touchscreen sensitivity between the two units, which I'd like to rectify if I can.
My 500 responds to light finger touches without being overly sensitive. By contrast, my 550 doesn't repsond unless you touch the screen with a LOT of force - not quite enough to poke a hole through the screen, although I feel like I'm about to!

Screen re-calibration (holding down the power button for a minute of so until the device enters Calibration mode) made no difference, and I can't find any software controls that allow me to adjust the screen sensitivity. :nenau

Can anyone help?

is there a screen cover/protector on it?

The internet is alive with reports of slow or inactive 550 screens, along with nearly as many suggestions as to the cause and cures. Good luck.

At a guess the screen has a matrix overlay for the touch screen which is capacitive or resistive, the circuitry sensing local changes when touched. With age perhaps the circuitry resistance changes enough to alter sensitivity ?

Perhaps over time the resistance values of the materials used to make the touch layer change which reduce its sensitivity ?

Can you replace the display like you could on the early TomTom Rider units ?(I fixed mine when its touch screen died by replacing it).

Hi Adam!

The screen on these units can be replaced, but I won't bother. To me, this is more of an annoyance than a major problem.

I actually have two 500s and a 550 now. When my original 500's powered mount died due to a faulty ribbon cable - and I then lost it when I moved house - I went searching for a replacement.
I could have shopped on eBay, but it wasn't a realistic option; the value of the Rand relative to the Pound, Euro and Dollar meant I'd be paying twice what stuff was worth in local currency, and shipping things here is a nightmare.

During my search, I found a 550 with its carry case, but nothing else, for R800 (UKP 40) on Gumtree. I figured if nothing else, it would be useful for parts, so I bought it.
A day later, I found a complete Zumo 500 kit in its original box, with all accessories, for R3 500 (UKP 173).

Sooner or later, I'm going to need a second powered mount for the special I'm building, so I'm still on the lookout for another one...

Back
Top Bottom