Cannot delete items from internal memory

Fatboydel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
When I connect to a PC and view the internal memory, there are a number of items in there I don’t need, but it won’t let me delete them? Is there some form of write protection in place?

Also, I have a copy of the latest map on the internal memory and on the SD card, is that normal?

Question two: Yes

Question one: Are you sure they will not delete, from within BaseCamp? If they won’t delete, find the file called ‘GPX’ or something like that and delete them from within there.

Are you looking at RAM or ROM

RAM Random Access Memory, can be written to and deleted from

ROM Read Only Memory - Cannot be written to and deleted ( it's not strictly true, but you need to reflash the ROM to do any rewriting etc)

You can write to Ram and lock the erase flag, so it cant be erased, but its usually via a ROM command

It could also be non volatile flash ram, which is again is a protected RAM

They usually need developer or specific tools or editors to reset / remove protection flags

I inherited a used Nav5 last week and had something similar when I wanted to clear out some old routes and tracks form the previous owner via Basecamp and file manager.

Managed most of what I wanted to do but there were a number of track history files that wouldn't delete from Basecamp.

Finally managed to cut a number of files from an "Archive" folder in the main memory within a "GPX" folder using windows file manager and that finally cleared the old files from view in Basecamp.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Guys, as you say, they won’t delete in basecamp so I will try deleting files from that location in windows.

Back
Top Bottom