Tick over adjustment

SuperTed

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My F800GS has started to tick over what I think is rather high. The handbook says it should be 1250 + / - 50 rpm. Mine is around 1400. Can I adjust the tick over myself (and if ‘Yes’, how?) or do I have to take it to a BMW technician?
All answers gratefully received.

I posted the question here and on the BMW Club forum, and thanks for the reply Squibb, but it is all above my skills, knowledge, and tool set. I then found that the bike was in need of a new chain & sprocket set. So a phone call to that really nice Russ at Bemer Bikes and a trip over to them on Thursday. The bike now ticks over at a far more reasonable point and has a nice new & shiny chain set. Which I count as a result.

So following from the software reset done in September the tick over on the trusty 800GS had slowly gone back to its previous high point, and just as a bonus had got rather variable and on a few occasions was somewhere around 16,000 rpm.
The bike went into Bemer Bikes for the 118,000 mile service and Russ was able to have a more in-depth look for the problem. Turns out that the rubber balance pipe between the throttle bodies had perished and split at one end and was no longer attached to the right hand throttle body. Which explains quite a lot. There was enough slack for the perished pipe end to be trimmed back and reattached to the throttle body. The bike runs much better and smoother now, and the tick over is where it should be. So it’s all set for the next 6,000 miles plus…

Back
Top Bottom