Seeing Waypoints on the XT screen

Andy B

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am another convert to MRA having recently bought the Gold package! Lots of experimenting going on and good progress being made. I love the flexibility of MRA and the fact that it is so easy to create routes on Mac/iPad/iphone and it all syncs!

I need help with one feature though. Having come from Nav 5 to XT (and before that 660 and 550 Zumos) I rather like to see the waypoints on the satnav screen and I used to having my Nav 5 set up so I could cancel a waypoint if I decided I didn't want to ride through it.

Am I missing something in the way I create/save my routes which means they don't come up? I always use HERE maps and lock the waypoints before I export the gpx.

In every other respect the transfer from Mac/iPad to XT works perfectly.

My XT shows a "skip waypoint" button top right by default, a quick tap and it skips to the next one. Enough taps and it skips to the final destination, which came in handy last week when a rider in our group felt unwell and we needed to route straight to the hotel.

If you set the waypoints to Via points (the little hand icon), they will show up. Shaping points will not. It's a good idea to name the Via points with something helpful as well, "Coffee Stop" rather than just "A281" for example. By default, the start and end points of your route will be Via points, but all the rest will be shaping points unless you specifically change them.

You can also set the distance shown at the bottom right of the XT screen to show distance to next (Via) waypoint rather than distance to destination, which can be helpful.

Finally, you can skip the next Via point if you wish to. Shaping points will not be available to be skipped. Oh - and when starting a route, you can tell it the next destination is any of the Via points you have along the route.

(By the way....the "Lock Waypoints" button doesn't affect the GPX output, it simply stops you from adding additional accidental waypoints when viewing a route)

adm1’s advice and suggestions are spot on.

It’s all down to changing the attributes of the points from the ‘teardrop’ (shaping point only) to a ‘hand’ (via point).

You can, if you want to, change the colour of these, so they display differently in MyRoute on your computer or iPad’s screen. More usefully still, you can change their name and other details, and include stop-over times.

PS Pukmeister is also right about the skip function, too.

So, a supplimental question.

When creating a route, is there a way of making every waypoint a viapoint without creating a route of waypoints and then going back and changing them to viapoints?

Thanks in advance.

So, a supplimental question.

When creating a route, is there a way of making every waypoint a viapoint without creating a route of waypoints and then going back and changing them to viapoints?

Thanks in advance.

MyRoute, at least in the Gold version, creates intermediate shaping points automatically. Though I think we might be muddling up what we are calling the points.

When creating a route in MyRoute, the first and last points are always waypoints (a hand).

dbfe97545002d220977ad64492f6d1e3.png

The picture above is the first point, so it’s a hand.

Then create a route by tapping on the map. By default, the second point becomes the end point, so that is a hand, too:

e48875168ea622617fda8fb57204aebb.png

Extend the route by tapping again. By default, the end of the extension now becomes the end point (a hand) and what was previously the end point, becomes a simple intermediate shaping point (teardrop) and so on:

1ab34962fe26d391b0dcc225888c0822.png

You can then change the attributes of all or any of the intermediate shaping points, changing them into waypoints. If you then change your mind, you can change them back, too.

8bd97cc30fe64414c6fc630a74a8398c.png

130f466f86e238c1c97efcc61b469bc8.png

If I have understood adm1's post, I need to convert each of the teardrops to hands which I do by clicking on them and converting them to a hand.

There's not a way to make each point you create to automatically become a hand rather than just first and last?

If I have understood adm1's post, I need to convert each of the teardrops to hands which I do by clicking on them and converting them to a hand.

There's not a way to make each point you create to automatically become a hand rather than just first and last?

That’s right.

I don’t think there is any way to have MyRoute create intermediate waypoints automatically. By default, they are always shaping points, which have to be converted manually.

You can of course also convert them within a modern Garmin device, too.

Not as far as I know.

But, if you click on a waypoint (or the waypoint name in the waypoint sidebar) to bring up the waypoint editing box, you can just select the hand icon, then click on the left or right arrows to move to the next waypoint, click hand again etc...

Just for the sake of clarity, the Via points (hand) are points the Garmin MUST take you to. The Shaping points (oval) are not as hard coded and the XT will try to take you that way, but may reroute you away from these in case of road closures, traffic etc.

Surely for the sake of simplicity it would be easier to use as few mandatory Via points as possible and just choose Shaping points, unless of course you must visit places during your journey?

I am always quite happy to see the route of my GPS acting dynamically to go a slightly different way, obviously an element of common sense is needed to interpret the real-life around you and not blindly follow the GPS, sometimes it pays to ignore its advice and let it recalculate.

Surely for the sake of simplicity it would be easier to use as few mandatory Via points as possible and just choose Shaping points, unless of course you must visit places during your journey?

I am always quite happy to see the route of my GPS acting dynamically to go a slightly different way, obviously an element of common sense is needed to interpret the real-life around you and not blindly follow the GPS, sometimes it pays to ignore its advice and let it recalculate.

Some bods like to use set viapoints (points they MUST go through) as opposed to shaping points, possibly because they rely on them to keep them ‘on route’ should a recalculation take place. Or it might be because they really do have to go through those fixed points on their journey. That is just two possible reasons; there are of course others, too.

There is no cast in stone, right or wrong way to do it. Bods will do what works for them on any particular day.

Back
Top Bottom