Shaft drive water drain done but?

Am submission that the flexible correlated seals at either end of the,cardan shaft may act as ' bellows' under suspension
compression/extension and dispel any moisture but they need an area of escape, thus the reason for the one way valve I guess

Am submission that the flexible correlated seals at either end of the,cardan shaft may act as ' bellows' under suspension
compression/extension and dispel any moisture but they need an area of escape, thus the reason for the one way valve I guess

Not arguing with you YT, but if it acts like a bellows and expels air, then that air needs replacing so it’s going to suck in whatever is outside. The use of a one way valve is thus perculiar…

Haven't considered that but fully agree..
Guess there's sufficient leakage around the shaft seals but if that's the case why need a valve? New valve location appears to be at the lowest point thus gravity fed and gravity fed drainage?

Talked to mechanic that installed the rubber valve. He said the hole is 10mm. I'll now search for better rubber valve that has double lip so the valve can't fall into the driveshaft housing. The mechanic said the water draining, in his opinion, doesn't get solved completely with this recall because the valve is not installed in the lowest spot on the housing so it can still collect some water that will stay there. As I have very good relation with him, he told me to open, regrease and check everything every 7000 miles. He does it on his own GS.

I'm late to this while story, so apologies if this has already been raised.

But if they're drilling through the powder coating/paint on the shaft tunnel, how are they dealing with the raw metal they expose? Surely this will become a dead ringer for corrosion, therefore paint/powder coating will become damaged around that area and spread?! No?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I've seen that one and commented on it. I still don't know the hole size.

Had mine done with mot and service yesterday. After a chat with service manager, he went and asked the tech who said it is a 10mm hole that is drilled.
Hope that helps
Dan

Yep - clermont Ferrand

They said they ar3 waiting for batteries for the “tool”….
Sounds a bit BS-ish though

Today and after reading all the threads on this my bike was due a service and they were going to the do the rectification. I politely voiced my concerns re the previous damage caused to the housing and other items mentioned. To my delight the service desk and technicians, knew what had been discussed on forums and issues caused and we chatted it through. I left happy that it would be done to my satisfaction.

On my return all completed and exemplary service, well done Bowker BMW Motorrad Preston. Thanks Alistair

Had the shaft drive drilled and valve fitted today took about 2 hours so not to bad all fine.. but just asking a question to anyone who as had the this service recall done.. as you know they drill a hole test for any water if all ok fit a rubber valve to let any water drain.. read a few reports that the rubber valve as gone missing most likely ended up inside the shaft drive.. did ask about this was told it quite secure with a lip on the valve to prevent it pulling out and a lip to prevent it from pushing inside.. just check mine there seems to be a lip to prevent the valve from pulling out but seems there is no lip to prevent it being pushed in..

can anyone who as had this valve fitted test theirs.. just keep hold of the tip of the valve and test if it can be pushed up and check if there is a lip on the valve to prevent it from moving up inside off the shaft drive.. at least then I know if all the valve fitted are the same if not will ask the dealer to make sure it fitted correctly..

The main part of this is to check the drive shaft linkage. If seized a new one is installed, as is everything from Gearbox to final drive. If the drive shaft is fine, but you're over 36k miles they'll replace it anyway. The valve is installed regardless to try and prevent water build up.
The daft thing is that lubricating the splines on the shaft is not on any service schedule. if they had that on the big service year they'd not be in this mess in the first instance...... Its something i'll be doing to mine moving forward.

Today and after reading all the threads on this my bike was due a service and they were going to the do the rectification. I politely voiced my concerns re the previous damage caused to the housing and other items mentioned. To my delight the service desk and technicians, knew what had been discussed on forums and issues caused and we chatted it through. I left happy that it would be done to my satisfaction.

On my return all completed and exemplary service, well done Bowker BMW Motorrad Preston. Thanks Alistair

Similar with BMW Wollaston, who told me they used tape under the tool guides.

On checking my service invoice. I have just realised that I have been charged for this cardan shaft check and valve retrofit. As item line cost for this has been added to my invoice. my bike is 2017, so out of warranty. I thought that this was part of a service campaign for which the dealers would charge to BMW? Has anyone else been charged for this check / valve retro fit

On checking my service invoice. I have just realised that I have been charged for this cardan shaft check and valve retrofit. As item line cost for this has been added to my invoice. my bike is 2017, so out of warranty. I thought that this was part of a service campaign for which the dealers would charge to BMW? Has anyone else been charged for this check / valve retro fit

If your bike is part of the Service Action number 0033130000, then you have been scammed. It doesn't metter if the bike is still on warranty or not.
"If you own a 2013 to 2021 model year BMW R1200GS, R1250GS or GSA variant you’ll want to know about the service campaign BMW will be implementing via its worldwide dealer network."

I would call Service Manager and make the complaint.

If your bike is part of the Service Action number 0033130000, then you have been scammed. It doesn't metter if the bike is still on warranty or not.
"If you own a 2013 to 2021 model year BMW R1200GS, R1250GS or GSA variant you’ll want to know about the service campaign BMW will be implementing via its worldwide dealer network."

I would call Service Manager and make the complaint.

And what happens to those of us who paid for a strip & grease of said parts less than 6 months prior to the campaign?

Who also had a seized shaft, but was eventually freed lubed and rebuilt ??

And what happens to those of us who paid for a strip & grease of said parts less than 6 months prior to the campaign?

Who also had a seized shaft, but was eventually freed lubed and rebuilt ??

I did pay for it 8 months ago. My bike is 2021 but I still did all the service of lubrification to avoid future problems. I talked to mechanic that did Service Action on my GS and he said to keep doing lubrification service once a year. His own GS had Service Action and he said he will be doing it once a year on his bike.

And what happens to owners of RT1200 and 1250 models that also suffer with seized shafts and BMW have chosen to exclude?

And what happens to owners of RT1200 and 1250 models that also suffer with seized shafts and BMW have chosen to exclude?

Thy havn't

It covers 2014> RT1200 & 1250 models, 2013 - 2021 R1200 / 1250 GS & GSA

If you have a model earlier than that, its unlikely to have the problem.

No it doesnt. It only covers the police issue RTs.

No it doesnt. It only covers the police issue RTs.
Did you check at your deler? If you did, maybe try another dealer. A friend of mine just had his RT 1200 2017 done as a part of the campain.
The dealers are not always honest. Have you seen, few posts back, the member who's been charged for the cost of the campain? There is always main BMW dealer/importer you can talk to and solve the issue.

Back
Top Bottom