Shaft drive water drain done but?

kwackless

Reaction score
Had the shaft drive drilled and valve fitted today took about 2 hours so not to bad all fine.. but just asking a question to anyone who as had the this service recall done.. as you know they drill a hole test for any water if all ok fit a rubber valve to let any water drain.. read a few reports that the rubber valve as gone missing most likely ended up inside the shaft drive.. did ask about this was told it quite secure with a lip on the valve to prevent it pulling out and a lip to prevent it from pushing inside.. just check mine there seems to be a lip to prevent the valve from pulling out but seems there is no lip to prevent it being pushed in..

can anyone who as had this valve fitted test theirs.. just keep hold of the tip of the valve and test if it can be pushed up and check if there is a lip on the valve to prevent it from moving up inside off the shaft drive.. at least then I know if all the valve fitted are the same if not will ask the dealer to make sure it fitted correctly..

Mine is the same. I asked mechanic at the dealer about it and he said if you lose it, they have to install you another one. The mechanic said he has done the recall on his own GS and glued the valve with superglue but he is not authorized by BMW to glue the valve on customer's bike. He said he is well aware of the problem.

No lip on the outside of the valve, only inside
Mine was done in manufacture but not being aware of it I possibly pushed it back up when cleaning
BM dealer had to drop the FD and remove valve and fitted another. Technician asked if I wanted it glued in as he had done his....said he's had a few replacement valves to do already
I said yup....see how long it lasts but I am more aware of it now

I hope somebody will discover some aftermarket valve with double lip. Does anybody know the size of the hole? I wouldn't mind to start looking for aftermarket valve.

Hi all, Park Lane/Battersea are doing this recall to my 1200 GSA as we speak. They have been at t for 3 days now. I will mention all this to them. No doubt the standard reply will pertain.

And it's good noght from him.

Shaftdrive

Can't believe that BMW have came up this this piss poor fix.. will be having words with dealer.. this is my 3 rd gsa and for a top end bike and all the tech brains at bmw and come up with a mickeymouse fix like this is a joke.. come on bmw get your finger out.. plenty of strong competition out there with adventure bikes now which as got adventure riders considering other options... the gsa may be the best selling adventure bike but can see that changing sooner or later if bmw come out with any more Mickey mouse ideas..

Last edited:
Honda had a problem with leaking topboxes on the Crosstourer, the fix?
Drill a hole in the bottom to let the water out.

Can't believe that BMW have came up this this piss poor fix.. will be having words with dealer.. this is my 3 rd gsa and for a top end bike and all the tech brains at bmw and come up with a mickeymouse fix like this is a joke.. come on bmw get your finger out.. plenty of strong competition out there with adventure bikes now which as got adventure riders considering other options... the gsa may be the best selling adventure bike but can see that changing sooner or later if bmw come out with any more Mickey mouse ideas..

Come on then smartarse,

Define the problem, detail the root cause, containment, immediate countermeasure, and long term permanent solution ?

I'm sure a lot of people will love to hear you words of wisdom

You are right re competition. Lots of new adventure bikes next year. Seriously thinking of the new honda transalp 750 vtwin with 90 bhp...

Shaftdrive

Santa-2512..
Don't need to be a smart arse to design a rubber valve that's stays in place.. it not cutting edge ya know..

Last edited:
The issue really can’t be a major one otherwise we’d have shaft drives falling left right and centre and they don’t. Issues like this only arise because the vast numbers of GS’s in use bring the odd few to light, compared to all the other manufacturers.

The issue really can’t be a major one otherwise we’d have shaft drives falling left right and centre and they don’t. Issues like this only arise because the vast numbers of GS’s in use bring the odd few to light, compared to all the other manufacturers.

Maybe the warranty claims are increasing - or someone in the states has filed legal papers? So they have decided to take action. if not a problem - why are they doing it?

TBH might not take my bike in, I pull apart the final drive every winter and grease the splines. Ideal opportunity to check/clean the other areas.
Appreciate some on here will not like getting their hands dirty :D

Maybe the warranty claims are increasing - or someone in the states has filed legal papers? So they have decided to take action. if not a problem - why are they doing it?

TBH might not take my bike in, I pull apart the final drive every winter and grease the splines. Ideal opportunity to check/clean the other areas.
Appreciate some on here will not like getting their hands dirty :D

Did the cardon drive job last winter to discover shaft partially seized onto FD
Separated and cleaned up lubed and rebuilt
The issue is trapped condensation leading to seized joints the relief valve should sort this by allowing vapour to escape
Had the check up etc last week no issues

Will continue to do winter check and lube

I guess the bmw fix is cheaper for them the potential hundreds of seized joints requiring replaced shafts and possibly FDs plus law suits in USA if it failed and could be shown to cause crashes and injury

Back
Top Bottom