It's finally let go!

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Had the GS out for a ride yesterday, the silencer has finally blown through, where it joins the collector box pipe, under the clamp. I think it is too thin to weld, but I can gum it up with some plastic padding or something until I can find a 'new' silencer.

Anyone got a paralever GS silencer lurking in the shed that they would sell? :thumby:

If you get really stuck, Motobins sell new stainless Keihan ones for about £460.

I remember fixing my silencer with some exhaust putty and feeling really proud of myself for a job well done.

I stood back and looked at my work and then noticed that there was an inch gap where the pipe had corroded where it actually joined the silencer. :blast

A good welder might well be able to do it - just had my collector box and balance pipe done.
(Very good guy in Matlock Bath)

Thanks Richard - it is the original chromed one!

I know about keihan... I will have to start saving, maybe by 2025 I will be have enough!

I brazed several holes in mine (and the collector box) but had t give up with the silencer years ago and replaced it with a Sito which is now itself in need of replacement.

Can you cut the pipe and/or silencer back to good metal and insert a piece of suitable tube with a clamp at both ends?

This IS the BMW forum chaps, not the Austin/Morris :D

It's less than £10 a week for a year for the Keihin. You won't have to let any staff go. Also about the same cost as 3KG of natural gas :101

Gary at BAMW had some a while ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Cheers Nin, I shall give him a shout as he is only 20 miles away. James has also got them in stock, but a very large chunk of 1 month's pay, like nearly all of it!

Back
Top Bottom