I'm unsure where to post this but...

RD.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I fancy something old / retro and have my eye on a 1974 R906... Any problems and things to search for when viewing the bike?

Also, I suspect I know the answer already however, what is the availablity of parts like and repairing these old bikes? My mechanical skills are rudimentary at best!

I fancy something old / retro and have my eye on a 1974 R906... Any problems and things to search for when viewing the bike?

Also, I suspect I know the answer already however, what is the availablity of parts like and repairing these old bikes? My mechanical skills are rudimentary at best!

Drop Mikeyboy a PM he has recently done a full restoration on a classic BMW and it was absolutely stunning. It may still be for sale

It's an airhead so bound to have some issues. Apply common sense, ride it and check the history as much as possible - if it’s in France there will be no MOT history so it’s down to you tto judge what sort of careful owner/bodger the current owner is.

It's an airhead so bound to have some issues. Apply common sense, ride it and check the history as much as possible - if it’s in France there will be no MOT history so it’s down to you tto judge what sort of careful owner/bodger the current owner is.

I think you've missed something. The bike Mad Hatter and I have mentioned has just been rebuilt by Mikeyboy, who, last time I checked when I popped round, was still in Leicestershire.

I think you've missed something. The bike Mad Hatter and I have mentioned has just been rebuilt by Mikeyboy, who, last time I checked when I popped round, was still in Leicestershire.

As he stated a year I took it to be a specific bike he was looking at and given his location..... May be wrong, of course, he may just want a 74 one for all sorts of other reasons

As he stated a year I took it to be a specific bike he was looking at and given his location..... May be wrong, of course, he may just want a 74 one for all sorts of other reasons

Good point, well made. My mistake. Sorry. :hide

R90/6

I’ve just finished a repaint on mine, great bikes mines a 74 ,originally from Canada, coincidentally bought from Mikeyboy around five years ago,

Attachments

• 6EB4AA86-7F25-43C2-BF05-B8CD6BE31D0A.jpg
    6EB4AA86-7F25-43C2-BF05-B8CD6BE31D0A.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 219
  • DACF8571-1441-42AA-B3AF-E48F73CA53FB.jpg
    DACF8571-1441-42AA-B3AF-E48F73CA53FB.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 218
Buy a bike with twin discs if you can, similar to the lovely (at least in black...:augie) bike above.
The /6 bikes have the heavy flywheel - great for coasting along in top but makes hauling them up harder than it needs to be. You can do a conversion from single disc to twin using either period correct or slightly later components (as per the black bike) but the parts required are increasingly rare and priced accordingly.
Or you could upgrade to modern braking standards by fitting a single radial caliper & 320mm disc - but you'd lose the period looks.

Just to be controversial and different, I dislike black bikes, I always have. they are the most difficult colour to photograph properly. That primrose yellow though, I like it. But the white seat? For Gawd's sake man, do sommat about that! :D

Just to be controversial and different, I dislike black bikes, I always have. they are the most difficult colour to photograph properly. That primrose yellow though, I like it. But the white seat? For Gawd's sake man, do sommat about that! :D

I already have done something about it,the covers in the bin,recovered with black cover as seen in the photo above.

You are correct, it is in France and is indeed a specific bike (74) non standard however pretty cool looking bike, although I’m not entirely enthusiastic about the straight through wrapped pipes scrambler stylie!

I’m not sure about a lot of this hipsterising that goes on in France especially as there is no Controle Technique at the moment. If you are looking at something that has been modified you need to make sure it’s safe to ride.

My son bought an F650 (standard condition) privately which had new tyres fitted. Both tyres went flat on the ride home and it turned out the tyre fitter hadn’t fitted any valves just relying on the dust caps!

Back
Top Bottom