Continental GT

Wapping

Reaction score
I had an eight hour ride on a courtesy bike, provided by Bacon’s in Newbury Park.

Good things:

It’s a small, light bike.

It is relatively cheap; good value, in fact.

It is nicely put together and looks the part.

It goes OK for a 45 bhp bike. Like any low bhp bike, you have to tune your head to the thing, That being said it will cruise OK at around 75 mph and I saw an indicated 100 and a bit along a stretch of the A12. The low down torque is where it’s all at, really. Overtakes are fine; not sports bike quick but certainly quick enough.

The frame and handling are really very good, meaning you can hop down the smaller country roads in Essex and Suffolk with no problems.

The two basic instrument clocks are fine and clear to read.

The brakes are OK.

The suspension is OK to good’ ish but, I if owned the bike, I’d probably get it tweaked.

The CEAT ‘Zoom Cruz F’ tyres will probably last a while…. The jury is still out on these; they are probably OK.

The not so good things:

The engine kicks out a fair degree of heat. There is a guard to stop the rider’s knee (in my case, the left) coming into contact with the cylinder head. I ride on the balls of my toes, which maybe shoves my knees more forward, perhaps?

When I had both feet on the floor, the clutch actuator arm, sometimes prodded into my right calf.

The mirrors vibrate, though to be fair I might have been able to twiddle them a bit to help to cure that. I think the bar end mirrors option might look better anyway.

I was not convinced by the angle of the clip-on style handlebars. Some aftermarket bars might well sort that out.

The fuel cap comes right off, lifting as one piece It really should be hinged.

As with my Himalayan, I find it too easy when getting off (or maybe it’s when I get on) to knock the kill switch. It needs stiffening up a bit.

I don’t have particularly large hands but I found the handlebar grips quite a narrow diameter.

It’s a bit like my old 400-4. In fact looking at the stat’s it really is very similar. Because you want to rag the thing, the fuel economy suffers a bit.

It’s definitely not an outright sports bike. My HP4, FireBlade and CBR 600RR were both more comfortable ergonomically, the HP4 and ‘Blade possibly because they were physically much bigger. I think I could still load some luggage on a FireBlade or an HP4 and ride it to the Alps; I’m not convinced I could do it quite so comfortably on the GT.

Conclusion

It’s a fun enough bike for the money.

It’s not as relaxing to ride as my Himalayan, for exactly the same reasons as I preferred the Himalayan over the Scram. You want to rag the Scram and the Continental GT, which I guess is the purpose of them. To this, the limited power and the very good handling makes them both easy to rag around on. I find it much easier to just accept the Himalayan for what it is and enjoy it.

If I wanted a bike to ride for 50 miles on Sunday and be back in time for lunch, it would be fine. For anything more, I’m not sold on the thing; which rather puts me at odds with the bulk of the reviews I have watched and read.

I will though try its sister bike, the Interceptor, on a similar eight hour ride down the same roads.

392071a001e93b1f16f345f99b2fdda5.jpg

e69b91aa91d5d642287bc45a7ab4e488.jpg

Good stuff Wapping

The GT riding position is not for me, much prefer the Interceptor. Agree on the grips, I fitted grip puppies almost immediately, great now. Bar end mirrors are a good choice, mines are solid and clear. I fitted up and back risers and it's very comfortable now for me, sort of roadster riding position like the 60's Triumphs popular in california with wide bars etc (TR6)

Everything on the stock bikes is acceptable or better, a few little tweaks make a huge difference, none are expensive really.

Look forward to your Interceptor review

Thank you.

I was glad that the chap at Bacon’s told me that the fuel cap lifts off in one piece at a refuel. If you weren’t ready for it, it would be very easy to have it slip through your fingers (particularly on cold or wet day) and put a dent in the tank.

Those handlebars are indeed a bit strange. They look like they've been designed to sit in a fairly neutral position, whilst having the look of racy clip-ons.

I'm sure Hitchcocks will be working on an adaptor to allow traditional bars to be fitted.

I wait with baited breath Richard ... you seem to be getting in to a Royal Enfield fan :D:thumb2

:beerjug:

I wait with baited breath Richard ... you seem to be getting in to a Royal Enfield fan :D:thumb2

:beerjug:

Thanks, Micky.

I think they are interesting bikes, different to the run of the mill offerings from the mainstream manufacturers. A few years ago, bods would have ridiculed anything made in India as total junk; Royal Enfield have turned that perception on its head. OK, the bikes are not perfect, lacking the outright horsepower, top speed and bells and whistles (ie the pub boasting elements) of a modern bike but they make up for it in simplicity of ownership and for going about just doing nothing more than ‘riding a motorcycle’.

I am lucky enough to own a brand new 1600 GT. It is a fantastic motorcycle, not perfect but really very good (excellent even) in all sorts of departments. In parallel, I owned an 850 GSA, not least as I wanted something different to the 1600 and I liked the engine from my time owning the very good F800R.

The trouble with the 850 was that it really was too good, In a sense it was almost antiseptic and, in a strange way, sucking the joy out of motorcycling. I wanted to find something that was not perfect, but that could just chug along all day every day. Something that couldn’t accelerate with no effort past something doing 80 mph with just the twist of the throttle, indeed something that was not even capable of doing very much beyond 80 mph at all. I wanted something that, in one way, didn’t require me to think too much beyond just enjoying the day out but would require me to think a bit if I did want to overtake something or just to accept, that (for now at least) I won’t be overtaking and did it really matter that much?

The Himalayan offered me all that, coupled to an easy to service and maintain motorcycle, at a pretty competitive price tag. I don’t do “I’ll just nip out for an hour on Sunday” type rides (I never have) nor do I commute across or through London any more, as I have no need to. If I need to see my mother in the Midlands or to do a load of shopping I’ll go by car or hire a van. If I want to go to watch a sports event, I’ll take the train or some other public transport. If I want to go in total, hyper power, comfort to the Alps or Belgium, I’ll take the 1600 or I can just trundle there on the Himalayan. If I want to tow a bike behind my motorhome, the Himalayan will be it, as do I really want or need 360 plus kg and Lord knows what brake horsepower and torque, just to go to see some castle or beach that is only 15 miles away from my motorhome’s pitch?

Back
Top Bottom