The new (2023) Navigation Next app is undergoing a lot of beta testing….

I've been reading about it, but can't see what makes it better than Waze? In the car where i use my phone for navigation it has all the features i want.

If i want to take my own route, i can plug in my Bike Sat Nav and create a route on MRA

I've been reading about it, but can't see what makes it better than Waze? In the car where i use my phone for navigation it has all the features i want.

If i want to take my own route, i can plug in my Bike Sat Nav and create a route on MRA

Any route you've saved on MRA is instantly available on the Nav App, which is handy and saves a load of faffery. Also you are more likely to have your phone than your sat nav generally perhaps? Backup device for when the sat nav has a problem?

Having said that, I find the Nav App to be far from perfect. Is there a new version out? The link above just takes me to a new looking Route Planner.

iOS 16 maps are better than those in IOS 15. And cost me nothing.

Having said that, I find the Nav App to be far from perfect. Is there a new version out? The link above just takes me to a new looking Route Planner.

The new ‘Navigation Next’ app seems to be in a sort of preliminary Beta testing stage, ahead of a launch in 2023:

01c662e6b01163e80e5b480a42c39bfc.jpg

There appears to be a problem with MyRoutes various websites at the moment, as I kept getting routed back to the main (and quite separate) MyRoute web based route creation site. That being said, they do seem to have mended it.

Any route you've saved on MRA is instantly available on the Nav App, which is handy and saves a load of faffery. Also you are more likely to have your phone than your sat nav generally perhaps? Backup device for when the sat nav has a problem?

I think it's handy for those who use a phone instead of the dedicated Nav systems. I hear the current one is not great from MRA, hence the new one.

I OS maps on my phone and Garmin Explore too (both of which can read .gpx files) & have full maps.

There's no new version out of the current routing planner/sat nav for the mobile phone. They're launching a brand new, ground up app to be launched.

I think it's handy for those who use a phone instead of the dedicated Nav systems…...

As a lifelong fan of Garmin’s MapSource and then BaseCamp, I was reluctant to embrace MyRoute, all be it I had signed up for a lifetime membership years ago, when it was first launched, for peanuts.

I don’t use my phone as a GPS device, though I could. I do though use a Garmin XT, Garmin BMW branded Navigator V, both of which would normally require rotes to be created in Garmin’s BaseCamp or MapSource softwares. I also use BMW’s Connect app to utilise the large TFT screen on my 2600. However, the quality of BaseCamp (at least on my Mac) has become so poor, that I have all but given up with it. That leaves me with MyRoute, which is now very good.

Why?

Being web / cloud based it is available 24/7 from just about anywhere with WiFi. I can therefore use my iPhone or iPad to access it, a luxury that is not available to me using Garmin’s software, which requires that I use my Mac at home or take a MacBook with me,

It is very stable.

It is easy to use; just as easy as BaseCamp or MapSource.

It links seamlessly, via either Garmin Drive to my XT (from where I can BlueTooth it to my Nav V) and / or via BMW’s Connect app to my 1600’s own TFT screen; again, a clear advantage over a pure Garmin based system.

In short, MyRoute has beaten Garmin at their own game, rather in the same way that the Bluetooth communications people beat Autocom at theirs. That being said, unlike Garmin (and Autocom) MyRoute do not produce any hardware. They rely on the users of their software to provide their own.

Mix in that MyRoute has an excellent help forum and lots of in-house ‘How to do it’ videos, I think they do a great job.

Back
Top Bottom