G1300GT Screen Noise

SimOv

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Very recently purchased a fine 2010 K1300GT EE from a great member on this forum.
Loved the 420 mile ride home to Aberdeenshire, except for the constant wind roar noise. It currently has the larger Ztechnik screen, plus winglets.
There was some difference in noise level depending upon how high the screen was raised/lowered, wind direction and my speed, but generally it was so noisy that I couldn't clearly hear music in my Schuberth c3 Pro at full volume. I have also ridden wearing a C4 Pro and there is very little difference.
I also have a 1250GSA which is quiet by comparison.
I am 6'4'', so need the seat on the high setting.
Any ideas or recommendations...other than stay below 60mph everywhere? I'm willing to give a very good condition standard screen a go if someone has a spare for sale at a reasonable price?
Thanks, Simon

Try a lower screen to move the turbulence down from your helmet to your torso.

After trying a taller screen than OEM - as everyone does - I chopped my screen down and found my Nirvana.

Not kidding.

Start with no screen and move upwards to find the optimum position to suit your build and riding position.
No 2 people the same.

And yes I know I don’t ride a K.

And yes I’ve survived a few heavy rain showers.

And I don’t have to hang on like a chimp in a hurricane except at autobahn speeds.

Attachments

• A8D63843-6BF3-4683-B472-26C7C2BF8FC6.jpg
    A8D63843-6BF3-4683-B472-26C7C2BF8FC6.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 162
  • ABCE3A48-AB5B-4904-8E67-47948A655434.jpg
    ABCE3A48-AB5B-4904-8E67-47948A655434.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 163
Thanks Boxerboy55. I understand the principal which is why I am on the lookout for a standard screen.
I also have an XT1200Z Super Tenere (that I will soon be putting up for sale) and although that screen is only about a third of the size of that currently on the GT, it is more effective and quiet.
Biggest isn't always best!

I fitted a small puig clamp on deflector to my K1200GT standard screen, made it way quieter at all speeds, also stopped the wind blowing my visor shut until well above motorway speeds.
I have also used this on 2 other bikes to good effect and for the cost well worth a punt!

Thanks Kenny.
I have a similar MRA flip screen that I will try.
Looking on Fleabay I see there are several genuine standard BMW K1200GT screens for sale. Does anyone know if they are the same fit for the 1300?
Thanks, Simon

Simon,

Be careful as the there are K1200GTs and K1200GTs!

Pre 2005 was the old brick motor, totally different bike to post 2005 slant 4 like yours. Easy to buy accessories for the earlier one if not fully described. DAMHIK!

Later K1200GT screens will fit K1300GT. I’ve heard that a K1600 screen can fit too but never seen it done.

FWIW, I’m 6’ 6” and had a standard ZTecnic which was OK. I now have a factory tall screen with a Laminar Lip. Not perfect but better. Apparently the USA does the best, Aeroscreen IIRC. I think Calsci and Cee Bailey are good too.

My understanding is that the winglets help, I haven’t got any though.

Like anything, it's a personal thing.

HTH

A

Thanks A, that all really helpful.
The screens I am looking at are from 2006-2008 K1200GTs.
I'm willing to try a screen that isn't in brilliant condition, if that helps to steer me in the right direction and hopefully avoid an expensive mistake.
Thanks again, Simon

Hi I have the K1300GT, with standard screen. I live over Inverness way, I'd be happy to swap bikes for an hour or so or swap screens. Message me later.
Andrew

Andrew, I thought I had already replied to you here. Apologies, and many thanks for the kind offer to meet up.
I managed to pick up a very good BMW tall screen from Ebay and it seems to work quite well for me at the highest setting.
Curiously, my friend who is about 5'10'' took the bike out with the Ztechnik screen and he thought it was wonderful, so perhaps I am just too tall for it.
I'll run the bike for a few weeks with the BMW screen and see how we go. If I'm content with that, I'll be advertising the Ztechnik screen and you would be most welcome to try it out for yourself.
Simon

Back
Top Bottom