Battery swaps for Airhead builds

fok

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'd be interested to know what you guys are using for batteries in your overland and rally airhead builds please.

My GSPD currently has the standard huge lead-acid YTX30L-BS type battery and my first thought is to switch to the lithium equivalent, retaining the same exact dimensions. If I use something of proven quality like a Shido, I should get more cranking amps whilst saving nearly 7kgs. That kind of weight saving really appeals and £ per gram saved is good value for me.

Having seen some of the trick builds on here though, it made me think that some of you builders change to a smaller battery, and if so what types have you used with success.

I'm running a 980cc Siebenrock kit with a little head work which I assume doesn't have a massive hike in compression so extra ccc's isn't essential and I also think that my charging system is stock too.

Any lithium battery equivalent I’ve used have been smaller for the same or more power. For a special build a smaller battery would give more options as to siteing of battery or other components. JJH

Motobatt....ultra reliable !

What Kenny says Motobatt or Odyssey PC680 and a Valeo starter (or as I am using an HC Cargo starter which is valeo type but with clipped magnets )

Lithium is alleged to have Cold start cranking issues when the temps are low if you don;t catch it first or second go It hasn;t the capacity for a 3rd hit

So for the sake of a Trendy lithium battery which are extortionately expensive )and can be a fire risk with charging issues!!!)

Personally my feeling is to Just stick to Good Known options :rob

What Kenny says Motobatt or Odyssey PC680 and a Valeo starter (or as I am using an HC Cargo starter which is valeo type but with clipped magnets )

Lithium is alleged to have Cold start cranking issues when the temps are low if you don;t catch it first or second go It hasn;t the capacity for a 3rd hit

So for the sake of a Trendy lithium battery which are extortionately expensive )and can be a fire risk with charging issues!!!)

Personally my feeling is to Just stick to Good Known options :rob

I agree with Dr F on this topic, I’m unimpressed with lithium bike batteries having tried one on a 990 adventure. My advice is to fit a smaller lead acid battery using the battery cage off a G/S which should fit a paralever (I think)

Lithium, mythium

I've used Shorai and Shido lithium-ion batteries on various motorbikes for well over a decade and, for me, the benefits far outweigh any potential drawbacks and the high cost.
Just do your research, don't rely on hearsay. Laptops, power tools, starter batteries, electric cars - each uses a different type of Lithium ion battery with different chracteristics. New tech needs new working methods.
eg I've had no cold start issues whatsoever - once I learned that they need to be 'woken up' first if left overnight in a freezing cold garage...(turn the headlight on for 30 seconds before pressing the starter, big whoop).
They also need to avoid overcharging so a suitablly large capacity is essential - although most now incorporate a battery management system to negate this issue. And they also don't like voltage spikes so a modern reg rectifier (eg MOSFET) is a good idea. (As is a dedicated Lithium charger if charging via the mains - although it's not essential).
And I've not caught fire either - Lithium starter batteries are Lithium Iron Phosphate) - not the type used in electric cars or airplanes. Used properly they're no more of a fire risk than Ni-Cad batteries - and you don't hear people going on about those any more do you?
BTW a Shido 51913 is a good fit in the battery tray of an r100gs - leaves room for the toolkit alongside - or you can get smaller aftermarket trays that are a perfect fit. And, as you say, it saves nearly 7 kg - a whole stone... Blimey!

Thanks for the input gentlemen......

I am not a lithium luddite though. :)

The question was really what smaller size than OEM can I get away with. I will, for sure, run the Shido lithium equivalent of that size battery.

I just wanted to know what smaller ones you guys have used with success.

Any advance on PC680 please?

I have fitted a PC 535 an 1150 which was still fitted 7 or 8 years later

Its about the same footprint but about an inch shorter

Back
Top Bottom