Vario top box.

crawfordjohn

Reaction score
Hello, I've just bought a brand new vario top box for my 1250 GS and it has come locked. Am I right in thinking this is the norm and when I match the new barrel with my key the box will then open?. I must say the instructions are both sparse and useless at the same time.Thanks for helping a mechanical dunce.

If you put the key into the bare naked lock barrel (with no wafers or springs) and then slot it into the housing you will be able to operate the mechanism and get the box open.

Top tip:- when you have the lock coded to your key and are ready to fit it into the box it’s a good idea to leave the end locking wafer out and then slot the lock into place and make sure it operates smoothly and that the key can be removed easily. Hold it in place with your left thumb, operate the key and try to remove the key with the lock in both positions.

Sometimes the key will slot in and out while the lock is out of the box….. but once it’s slotted into place it snags for whatever reason. Usually it’s the wafer nearest the key that is the issue. Remove this one and try again.
Once you’re happy with it pop it out again and fit the locking wafer.

Hi Steve, have fitted lock and box locking. However unable to move either red levers to mount box onto bike. Any ideas?. Thanks

Hi Steve, have fitted lock and box locking. However unable to move either red levers to mount box onto bike. Any ideas?. Thanks

That’s unusual. Generally the top one moves outwards to 80 or 90 degrees which releases the bottom one. Bottom one then needs moving another inch to release the box from the rack.
The two red ones need to be moved in unison to fasten it on again.

Is the mechanism on the bottom of the box fouling on the mounting plate and preventing the levers moving, rather than the levers themselves sticking?

Do the red levers move when the box is off the bike?

If YES, have a look at what moves underneath the box and make sure you align everything before trying to lock the box onto the cradle.

If NO and the red levers do not move with the box off the bike, then as above, the mechanism must be snagging on something.

Maybe even take the barrel out so it's all unlocked and try the the red levers first and then mount, before fitting the locking barrel?

I also had a nightmare on mine, the barrel would work without being fitted but when in the cyliner, I could put the key in but when locked I couldn't remove the key. Took it to the dealer in the end, who advised that the last wafer should not be used.

HTH

Do the red levers move when the box is off the bike?

If YES, have a look at what moves underneath the box and make sure you align everything before trying to lock the box onto the cradle.

If NO and the red levers do not move with the box off the bike, then as above, the mechanism must be snagging on something.

Maybe even take the barrel out so it's all unlocked and try the the red levers first and then mount, before fitting the locking barrel?

I also had a nightmare on mine, the barrel would work without being fitted but when in the cyliner, I could put the key in but when locked I couldn't remove the key. Took it to the dealer in the end, who advised that the last wafer should not be used.

HTH

Worth a try with the levers although I think the levers are totally independent of the lock. The box is only locked onto the rack because the locked handle prevents access to the red lever.

Worth a try with the levers although I think the levers are totally independent of the lock. The box is only locked onto the rack because the locked handle prevents access to the red lever.

Your prob right, thinking about it. I'd still recommend getting it working without a locking cylinder in place, one less thing to consider in making sure the box seats correctly.

Back
Top Bottom