Daytime Running Light (DRL) Enabling

bosnjo

Reaction score
My bike is 2021 R1250GS (non ADV). In the main beam, it has those LED stripes in "X" shape but they are very dim and the low beam is always on. Here in Europe majority os GS bikes has "X" shape or "C" shape LED stripes on full brigtness and low beam is off during a daylight. It is controlled by light sensor on TFT screen that dimms the LED stripe when it gets darker and turns the low beam on. It also has an extra button on the left handlebars switch that overrides the light sensor and turns the low beam on.

Now, my bike doesn´t have that option as it was very expensive on purchasing the bike because it would only come with adaptive main beam so I had to give it up.
Been today at the dealer's shop to change left tensioner to updated one and talked to mechanic. I told him about my wish to have the option to only use DRL in the main beam during a daylight. I told him I read that it can be enabled by their system and that only the left handlears switch has to be replaced. He said no problems, he'd recode it if I purchase the switch. He said I could even bring second-hand switch, he wouldn't mind. Then he told me to purchase the switch with cruise control as he can also enable the cruise control. Now, that left me wondering.
Is it true? That simple? My bike doesn't have Cruise Control.
Has anybody done anything similar? Doesn't Cruise Control need more parts besides the switch?

As a side note, I'm sure my TFT has light sensor (they all do) as it controls my AUX lights through Hex Ez-Can and dimms them at night. Also, my bike is very visible during a day because of powerful AUX lights.

Any advice?

The WC bikes use a ride-by-wire throttle instead of a throttle cable, so I can't see why fitting a cruise switch and updating the coding wouldn't give you cruise control, its what we do on Volkswagen vans and cars. The ECU runs the show anyway when you twist the throttle grip, I guess using the cruise switches just hands over responsibility to the ECU to maintain what you set/adjust.

Can't help on the light issue, my 2019 has the C shaped DRL which as you say does its own thing automatically, I had no idea it used a sensor in the TFT.

Sounds like your mechanic is a good guy.

Thank you for your response.
Yes, the mechanic is great guy. He bought write-off 2020 GSA and rebuilt it but couldn't solve the left cylinder ticking problem that was very loud. As I knew (from this forum) that it can be solved by new chain tensioner and I decided to purchase one for myself (I have just a little ticking), I offered him to install it first on his bike. When the part arrived I gave it to him and he installed it on his bike. The problem was solved 100%. He then installed it on my bike and got one for his. He was very thankful.
To find out about the light sensor, during a day, cover lower left part of the TFT by your hand and you will see the headlight switching slowly to night mode.

So, job done and I'm more then satisfied with outcome:
Ordered the part at the dealer first. It is a new left side switch with DRL and Cruise buttons. I didn't order new switch with DRL button only (and no Cruise Control) because that one was much more expensive (I don't know why). However, the mechanic at the dealer said he can try to enable the Cruise Control without new throttle grip. The microswitch is already on the bike, he said.
Well, after mounting the new switch, when he was choosing the option DRL to install, he said, just out of fun, he will choose the Cruise Control option as well, just to see what happens. However, BMW requires new throttle grip and new clutch switch. We listened to the clutch switch and it had audible two clicks. He said the clutch switch with cruise control has two clicks. Anyway, he's chosen the cruise control option as well and I went to have a lunch as the bike, to perform the installation of new options, automatically performs software upgrade. They've closed the shop for their lunch break and we all went away. Hour and a half later I came back and the bike was disconnected from the computer already as the upgrade has been concluded. I asked the mechanic how it went and he said DRL is working and he tested Cruise Control and it's working perfectly as well. Well, I own him a lunch one of these days...
So, the new handlebars switch, the work and the programming with software upgrade was 247 euros (VAT included). Not expensive at all and I'm happy with DRL working and free Cruise Control option.
The only thing I don't have is the option to turn off the Cruise Control on the throttle grip but I don't need it. As for the rest, everything is working fine and all the functions on TFT are correctly displayed.

That's a great result, my guess is the difference with the throttle grips is a zero position switch to kill the cruise in emergency if you slam the throttle to fully shut.

So, job done and I'm more then satisfied with outcome:.
The only thing I don't have is the option to turn off the Cruise Control on the throttle grip but I don't need it. As for the rest, everything is working fine and all the functions on TFT are correctly displayed.

Good result.:thumb2. Cruise control is great if you use motorways

I think a lot of folks don’t even know you can shut it off by rolling the throttle forward, you won’t miss it much

bosnjo, sounds like you have a great mechanic there.... really helpful.

worth their weight in gold.

bosnjo, sounds like you have a great mechanic there.... really helpful.

worth their weight in gold.

Yes, the mechanic at BMW dealer is really special, great guy. The knowledge taken from here is also something important:
So, if anyone needs upgrade to DRL or Cruise Control or both, it's just a question of buying the left handlebar switch and programming it at BMW.
It's just like a story about one Mecedes car model. If you buy it with cruise control, it's arround 1000 euros more expensive. If you buy it without you just purchase a new stalk for 120 euros and change it yourself. There is even no programming needed.
(Taken from Mercedes forum)

That's a great result, my guess is the difference with the throttle grips is a zero position switch to kill the cruise in emergency if you slam the throttle to fully shut.

To disengage the cruise using the throttle you have to forcibly roll it slightly past the closed position. The clutch lever disengages it with a light pull on it, not enough to disengage the clutch.

Presumably the OP's brake disengages the cruise?

It is amazing what can be done at a price or if there is a will, when I ordered my 2018 GSA Basic it was specced up to include Computer Assist Pro and Sat Nav prep.

When it turned up even though the options were paid for and ticked off on the build sheet the factory forgot to fit them, Sat Nav prep was an easy retrofit by dealer at the price of all the bits inc a new left hand grip and an ecu update but BMW UK said retrofit of the Computer Assist Pro was not possible and authorised the dealer to offer me a new TE model off the showroom floor at their cost.

Out of sheer bloody mindedness and because I did not want an ESA model I refused saying they either did a retrofit or ordered me a new bike in the spec I actually paid for .

BMW UK insist it is not possible, BMW factory say the bike has all of the sensors needed for the option I wanted plus hill start etc already fitted so all it needs is a programme put into the ecu .

This was carried out at the first service

Back
Top Bottom