the old tyre question!

kwackless

Reaction score
looks like I will be needing a front tyre soon on my 2021 R1250 GSA.. best to change as pair or just the front? on the o.e.m tyres which are the BATTLAXE A41'S rear seems to last very well and is less than half worn.. but the front is just under 3mm my GSA is on 3,600 miles now.. I prefer to change my tyres at 3mm.. been happy with the BATTLAX A41's in wet and dry weather.. ok I'm no racer as I'm a old git now :rob but do like a spirited ride now again and up to now can't fault the o.e.m tyres.. so got 2 choices just replace the front with another BATTALAX A41 or replace both tyres.. although I found the BATTLAXE A41'S tyres to be fine I know there are better tyres out there.. what tyres are you guys fitting? been doing some research I'm I right in thinking the Michelin Road 6 and the Pirelli Angel GT2 tyres are the most popular as replacement over BATTALAX A41'S tyres for best grip/wear/less tyre noise in wet/dry weather or should I consider other makes of tyres.. thought best to ask the guys who ride the the R1250 GSA and there thoughts on tyre choice.

P.S before the R1250 GSA I had the Versys 1000/GTR1400/ZZR1400 always went through 2 rear tyres to one front.. the R1250 GSA seems to be the other way round! I'm not over heavy on the brakes so is this just the nature of the beast:duno

been happy with the BATTLAX A41's in wet and dry weather.. ok I'm no racer as I'm a old git now :rob but do like a spirited ride now again and up to now can't fault the o.e.m tyres..

If you have been happy with the A41s, and you can't fault them... then you may as well stick with them. If you don't find the A41s lacking, then you won't take advantage of tyres that are more performant than them... Confidence is everything when it comes to tyres.

I like Bridgestone Tyres. I've had them on many bikes. My 1250GS came with them on and I had no problems with them. I found them up to the job. I had a long trip coming up but I didn't think the front Bridgestone would make it and I didn't want to be messing about changing tyres on my trip so I swapped them for a pair on Continental Trail Attack 3's.

Wow! - what a tyre. Gives you lots of confidence wet or dry, and after 6000 miles, there are plenty of miles left. I also think that they are a bit quieter than the Bridgestone's.

As I said, I've no problem with the Bridgestone's, but I think the Attack 3's are a better all-round tyre.

No need to change tyres as a pair. No need to even have matching tyres.

I really rate the A41's. An excellent tyre. You can scratch like a sports bike in the wet with them and they provide wonderful feedback.

You'll obviously dig up negative info on any tyre if you read these pages too long. Far too many terrible riders blaming excellent tyres for their substandard riding.

i switched to Conti TA3 which as others have suggested are remarkably quiet in comparison. my front Bridgestone wore out long before the rear whereas the Conti wears at about 2 rears to one front.

i cannot fault the Conti for handling. thats my recommendation

Barry

Confidence is everything when it comes to tyres.

This....

If you have confidence in the tyre you currently use stick with them.
no point in trying something unknown to you and tensing up each time you corner in the wet.

if you read tyre posts on the forum somebody hates every single tyre ever made!!
there isnt a 1 tyre fits all.

4 out of 5 people hate the tyre i use (Anakee 3s), but i love em.... they keep me upright in all weather so i keep using them.

according to BS website, seems a new tyre is 5mm depth. I'd agree 3mm on a rear is pretty worn, but not on a front. I would run both a bit longer and then change the pair

but as said above, if its in your head that its worn.....

Always liked the A40 and A41 on the older bikes (twin cam and back), but my bike came with them and I killed the front tyre in 4000 miles.

Currently on Conti trail attack 3, I’ve had 46 degrees one way and 44 the other whilst fully loaded in the Pyrenees with barely a squirm (some of those road surfaces are really quite slippy).

Very happy with the Conti and they will be my tyre of choice for now.

Wifey has Michelin Pilot 5’s on hers, they are also a very predictable and decent wearing tyre.

I have just taken to plunge and moved from a41 to Michelin pr6 as I want a bit more life in my tyres as the a41were only lasting 4-5k

I changed to Michelin Road 6 and now the front is quiet. It was very noisy with Michelin Anakee that came from factory. Superb in both wet and dry conditions.

I like Bridgestone Tyres. I've had them on many bikes. My 1250GS came with them on and I had no problems with them. I found them up to the job. I had a long trip coming up but I didn't think the front Bridgestone would make it and I didn't want to be messing about changing tyres on my trip so I swapped them for a pair on Continental Trail Attack 3's.

Wow! - what a tyre. Gives you lots of confidence wet or dry, and after 6000 miles, there are plenty of miles left. I also think that they are a bit quieter than the Bridgestone's.

As I said, I've no problem with the Bridgestone's, but I think the Attack 3's are a better all-round tyre.

I totally agree with everything you have said. CTA 3 would be my choice without hesitation after trying them following a similar thread earlier this year.

Always liked the A40 and A41 on the older bikes (twin cam and back), but my bike came with them and I killed the front tyre in 4000 miles.

Currently on Conti trail attack 3, I’ve had 46 degrees one way and 44 the other whilst fully loaded in the Pyrenees with barely a squirm (some of those road surfaces are really quite slippy).

Very happy with the Conti and they will be my tyre of choice for now.

Wifey has Michelin Pilot 5’s on hers, they are also a very predictable and decent wearing tyre.

Plus 1 on the TA3 . The PR5 managed 1400 miles in the Pyrenees one up 30 ltr bag before they gave up , great tyres , just wear way too fast if pushing and cant do a spirted 6day tour .
The CTA3 managed 2000 plus a slow ride back from Plymouth to Worcester , far better tyre set as they can do a 6 day flat out tour and still get you home with no worries . Front this time was fine but was on my MTS V4 , but have done similar on the 1250gs

Another vote here for the Conti TA3 tyres, I've had these on previous GSAs and get on very well with them. My new GSA came with A41 tyres, ok in the dry but not confidence-inspiring in the wet. I've done 6k on them now and will be changing them for TA3 shortly.

Just fitted a pair of Avon Trailriders on the GSA as a replacement for Anakee Adventures. There seems to be issues sourcing a lot of tyres at the moment due to a variety of reasons.
Completed just over 1000 miles in Scotland mainly dry but had a day of serious rain. They performed very well and were much quieter. I would say that in some reviews there are reports of the tyres not being affected by white lines. I would suggest, and my experience now, is that's bollox. No tyre is not going to be affected by a thick wet white line. Not dangerously but it will squirm a little.

Front A41 down to 2mm after 3000 miles, rear hardly worn. Got a new front A41 fitted for a trip. The old front might have made it but thought better of it
The rear had too much tread to swap a pair. I have a pair of Michelin 6's I bought waiting for the next change
I have had no issue whatsoever with the A41's. Had them new on this 1250 and the last 1250. Performed brilliantly in wet and dry conditions, but as mentioned, very noisy front
I put a pic up of the front as it was last week
https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/587085-Thoughts-on-R1200GS-v-R1250GS
Got the new front from Crossans motorcycles - The visor shop. Cheapest price delivered I could find. Tyre had a production date of May 2022

Back
Top Bottom