Haarlem - Is it worth a visit for long weekend?

peter56

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Moved and title changed, as it's more about a destination than having a ticket / credit note

Richard

So I have a credit note from P&O and planning on using the Hull to Rotterdam route. Only planning a long weekend early November ish. I have been to Amsterdam / Gent / Bruges / Ypres. Had a look on trip adviser and Haarlem looks a possibility. Has anyone been ?. Is it worth a visit ?. Suggestions would be welcome

Do you actually have a note or an agreement with them to use a previous booking number?

Yep me to. However when tried to rebook (Stranraer to Larne) they wanted £79 to alter the booking BOTH WAYS !! Robbing B..stards

Haarlem is so much nicer than Amsterdam. At the end of a day in Haarlem, head to one of the many restaurants on the beach at Zandvoort and watch the sun go down ....

I came back via Haarlem a few weeks ago, nice place, not a lot going on like Amsterdam. I would have thought a dat there would have you seeing most if not all of it. The Hauge was interesting and as mentioned Zandvoort. this is were the Dutch F1 track is, that's was great to see.... Have you been over to Arnhem and the war areas ? they are around an hours drive off the boat

I would agree, with the above - it was lovely, quite quiet, but felt like we'd 'done' most of it in the day. It was a nice place to eat out and spend an evening. If (like us), you're happy to just wander, soak up the atmosphere and peoplewatch from the cafes, as well as the museums/architecture etc, you'll be fine for a relaxed weekend.

I'm allways wondered why foreigners stay in the western part of the Netherlands.
If you want a city trip there are some much exiting cities, exept the Hague, Rotterdam or Amsterdam.
What about Zwolle, Zutphen Kampen or Deventer. All four historic Hanze cities along the IJssel river.
Or drive north and visit TT city Assen or Groningen.Or do the lake tour in Friesland.
In the south Maastricht or Valkenburg in the Limburgs hills might be interesting as well.

Leiden is is a nice city to visit, an old university city with canals and a good choice of cafes, restaurants etc, only 30-40 min from Ampsterdam/schipol airport, got a nice feel to it and has a beach.

Al.

I’ll be exploring the western part of the Netherlands early next year when I take up temporary residence in Maasbracht though I doubt if I’ll take a motorbike over unless my stop extends into May or beyond. I’ve only ever ripped through the area on my way east but there must be something to do though a couple of the guys I’ll be working with reckon last time they were there they spent most Saturday nights in Cologne or Düsseldorf drinking more beer than was really sensible.

I’ll be over there for at least 10 weeks with every Sunday off and free use of a company car so I’ll do my best to get around a bit and really the only visit that’s a certainty is to Reichswald where an uncle who died when they dropped airborne troops in for the Rhine crossing is buried. Anything else is probably going to be entirely random though there’s nothing to stop me going anywhere I fancy which suggests a Saturday night in Antwerp might be another good idea :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom