RS100RS - snowflakes and headlight advice pls?

UK Jon

Reaction score
Afternoon Folks,

I appear to have slightly different snowflakes on my gold 78 RS?

The rear has seen better days, but appears to have a gold tinge to it. The front has the appearance of possibly being a different wheel, for they do not really fully match in either colour or texture.

First question is, did the snowflakes on the gold coloured models have a gold hue to the? I know the first round of snowflakes were replaced under warranty due to cracks, so am wondering if the front rim is possibly a replacement - but then why not replace both?

I would like to upgrade the H4 headlamp bulb. This is more to do with being seen and not seeing with. Some replacement bulbs claim to offer 150% and 200% improvements in visibility during hours of darkness. I assume the same principle applies during daylight hours - I.e 150 or 200% brighter, or should I be looking at the claimed K value of the bulb which I understand is the comparison with natural sunlight?

Would I need to upgrade the regulator to compensate for a more powerful bulb?

Thank you.

I can't comment on your wheels but as regards uprated bulbs every car spares shop around will offer you uprated bulbs such as https://www.halfords.com/motoring/b...00-brighter-h4-472-headlight-bulb-515326.html They should be the standard 60 watts main beam and 55 watts dipped. DO NOT use "Rally" or offroad-only bulbs which are commonly 100/80 watts. When I fitted bulbs for Halfords I took one of these out of a customer's Fiesta to find the envelope had melted, which I suppose is better than damaging the reflector. Uprated bulbs do make a difference at night but if you want to be seen in daylight I'd suggest finding a pair of 10 watt LED foglights on Amazon or Ebay and wiring them in to turn on with your dipped hedlight. You might also try an LED sidelight: the one I used in my hexhead made the halogen dipped beam look dull.

.. if you want to be seen in daylight I'd suggest finding a pair of 10 watt LED foglights on Amazon or Ebay and wiring them in to turn on with your dipped hedlight. You might also try an LED sidelight: the one I used in my hexhead made the halogen dipped beam look dull.

I agree, I don't think brightening a headlight will help in daylight hours. Creating a broader spread of light units that help another driver to perceive how far away you are, however, might.

Afternoon Folks,

I appear to have slightly different snowflakes on my gold 78 RS?

The rear has seen better days, but appears to have a gold tinge to it. The front has the appearance of possibly being a different wheel, for they do not really fully match in either colour or texture.

First question is, did the snowflakes on the gold coloured models have a gold hue to the? I know the first round of snowflakes were replaced under warranty due to cracks, so am wondering if the front rim is possibly a replacement - but then why not replace both?

I would like to upgrade the H4 headlamp bulb. This is more to do with being seen and not seeing with. Some replacement bulbs claim to offer 150% and 200% improvements in visibility during hours of darkness. I assume the same principle applies during daylight hours - I.e 150 or 200% brighter, or should I be looking at the claimed K value of the bulb which I understand is the comparison with natural sunlight?

Would I need to upgrade the regulator to compensate for a more powerful bulb?

Thank you.

What size wheels do you have? I am betting they are 18" rims, if so, no recall required. From memory of my RS all those years ago (hateful thing, despite the 334,000 miles I put on her!) it was 18 rims and the recall only applied to the larger size.

As for your lighting - I find mine perfectly adequate and a built-in 'slow me down' feature.

What size wheels do you have? I am betting they are 18" rims, if so, no recall required. From memory of my RS all those years ago (hateful thing, despite the 334,000 miles I put on her!) it was 18 rims and the recall only applied to the larger size.

As for your lighting - I find mine perfectly adequate and a built-in 'slow me down' feature.

To my knowledge (and have fallen flat on my face already:blush) my RS is as it was when built in November 78, with exception of heated grips and slightly larger mirrors. So I will have to go with 3.25 19 & 4.00 18’s?

334,000 is not to be sniffed at! Before your post, 239,000 was the best I could come up with. I tip my hat to you.

Thanks

Regards

Back
Top Bottom