Navigator V doesn't recognise shorter routes, always suggests a longer route.

Scarfall

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello,
I've got a Nav V and I commute in London. I've got the navigation preference to "shortest time" and no avoidances. It's connected to Garmin smartlink with traffic information.

The Nav V always chooses longer routes. When I disregard the Nav's route and pick a better option, the expected time of arrival immediately updates to a shorter ETA, so it does recognise that route is better. Has anyone got any idea why it never choses the fastest route for me?

I’d suggest dumping or at least turning off the Garmin Smart link / traffic.

Does the device then route you reasonably reliably each time you use it?

It offers the same long routes with Smartlink on or off.

Are you sure about your preference setting?

From memory, the Nav V has:

Faster time

Shorter distance

These are not the same as your description: ‘Shortest time’, which I am not sure is even an option.

For instance, if you have chosen ‘Shorter distance’ it might well, depending on the roads you encounter, take longer than the journey had you chosen ‘Faster time’.

That being said, I really am clutching at straws in an effort to help you.

I find my Nav V chooses some bizarre routes, regardless of route settings, when in bike mode. I find switching to car mode better for normal routes.

I've got it set to Faster Time. It selects the same routes wether I'm on Motorbike or Car mode. It seems to avoid motorways, even though I don't have the 'avoid motorways' option enabled.

Back
Top Bottom