Which model revision is best

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The LC is back at the dealers for another round of wallet emptying

So I'm considering going back to a Hexhead,

I had an 06 hexhead, which was once fettled a capable unit.

The consensus is that the Twin cam is the better bike, but i don't know what year it started and what year to go for

any advice would be welcome

The Twin Cam was first available in 2010 until the LC was introduced in 2013.

As ever, age, mileage and condition would be the buying criteria.

I had 2004, 2007, 2009 and 2011 Hexheads and I always felt the the Twin Cam was the nicest to ride.

I sold the twin cam adventure to get an LC adventure but after a year and 9000 miles I missed the twin cam so bought it back and traded the LC for an Urban GS. The twin cam motor seems to suit my riding style and how I like the engine to feel so no regrets about letting the LC go. To be fair to the LC, it never let me down or had any warranty issues other than a battery.

Other than the engine there improvements in the twin cam bikes, for example the rear drive is more reliable and the fuel sensor strip was replaced by a float in most, the specifics of which are all well documented on this forum.

2013 GSA or 2012 GS are the last years of TC, as with most end of line models they had all the extras added to make them a good buy new.

A few years back when I sold my 1150, wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing (I had a very nice, well sorted 1150).

Fast forward. I'm still thinking it's the best bike I've ever had. I seem to only do 1000+ mile journeys on it these days. It's been doggedly reliable. Bought it with 15k on it. Will soon be 50k. It cleans up so well too.

Guess a lot depends on what you want from it, but it seems to cope so well with the miles, being a hooligan and lots in between.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

My first BMW twin was a 2005 R1200RT, I now have a 2013 GSA and I would say that I enjoy the overall perceived performance of the last of the pre wet heads GSA more than that of the RT.

Twin Cam with a float level sensor in the tank. Late 2010> I think :thumb2

ridden a TC for more toys - rides like a GS
own a 57 plate GS - its good once you get the fueling sorted
had a 1200LC - got my money back
rode a shift cam 1250 the other day - better than a 1200LC - but as I rode it 30 miles to give it back 5 hrs after last trying I thought - if I had it free maybe - then got real - and decided OK I'd give 5k for it then remembered changing up gives me a sore foot

got back on my GS and thought with after-market shocks and a decent screen its much better bike than any that came after it

Go for 2012 model year (reg from sept 2011 I think) as there were upgrades to the gearbox and final drive. Excellent bike but some are more vibes than others so be sure to test ride.

TC gets my vote, too. I've test ridden the LC's, including the 1250 and earlier models, and I really wanted to like them - but I don't. Compared to my 2012 they all feel really heavy in the front when initiating slow speed turns, and they feel like they want to just flop over once you get them into the turn. Sure, they have gobs of power, especially the Shifty. But really, do I need more power? Def don't need more weight - and the porky pigs are even porkier in the LC versions.

My TC has 70k miles on it and it mostly asks for nothing from me other than oil changes every 5k miles. The only issue I've had with it was a leaking main shaft seal, which I'm pretty sure was due to operator error - overfilled the oil on an oil top up. From what I found in researching it, this is very rare in the TCs. I fixed it myself - split the bike in half and pulled the tranny. In checking the clutch with 50k miles on it at the time, it still had 2/3 life remaining according to the wear specs, so I didn't even bother changing it, although everyone said I should've (I hope I didn't get that wrong...).

Other than that, I upgraded the stock ESA suspension at around 40k miles - replaced with TFX non-ESA units recommended and built by Ted Porter. Felt like a new bike. Love those shocks.

Recently upgraded the HID which original owner installed when bike was new and finally gave up the ghost a couple weeks ago. Put in a $20 LED off of ebay (see other thread on that - posted a link).

These bikes are bullet proof from what I can tell. Nimble, great on the highway, great in the dirt. They crash well. Easy to work on. Sound great with stock pipe. Tons of aftermarket farkles. Drive shaft issues finally sorted out on this model - no more spline lubing required (read the manual - it's true). Fuel gauge sorted out after mid-2010 or so.

As/when this one finally expires - bit of a race right now between me and it - I'd buy another one.

Attachments

• 11944730-90CF-4071-BE8D-EE18A77E129C.jpg
    11944730-90CF-4071-BE8D-EE18A77E129C.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 467
The LC is back at the dealers for another round of wallet emptying

So I'm considering going back to a Hexhead,

I had an 06 hexhead, which was once fettled a capable unit.

The consensus is that the Twin cam is the better bike, but i don't know what year it started and what year to go for

any advice would be welcome

Nice one owner 20K miles 2012 triple black twin cam R1200GS here.

The advert says 2 owners but that is because it was a pre-reg bike.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-d...omSavedAds=true&advertising-location=at_bikes

Not mine by the way.

In my experience as a BMW owner and a BMW tech, id have to say the TC is the best compromise between all 1200's.

The very early 1200s were a bit dogged. I don't like them. The 2006+ Hex is probably the best in terms of being a 'Proper' BMW boxer motor with enough refinements to keep it feeling like a modern bike. You can still easily service it etc.

The TC is a much smoother motor. And more powerful. Although by then, BMW had changed manufacturer of gearbox and final drive. Many parts are not backward compatible. But if you're fed up with the plastic throwaway 'designed by marketing and accountants' LC's then it's the way to go.

However, after riding an LC, going backwards to a Hexhead will feel SLOW. Say what you like about the LC. It may be designed to fall apart after five years, but it's by far the best to ride. And so much lighter.

had a 2012 TC , part exchanged it last sept for a new 1250 gsa,,, i love the new 1250 but i now do wish i had kept the TC aswell, would have been nice to have both in an ideal world,, would maybe get another TC one day,, but i say that about a lot of bikes i have let go,,lol

Another vote here for the TC.

Bought in 2014 mine's a 2011 80k mile bike of which i have put on 60k and it's megga! It's taken me to Alaska, USA, Morocco, Nordkapp and many more places and never missed a beat.
Had the final drive rebuilt at 60k by mikeyboy as i could feel some slight play in the FD pinion bearing, other than that, had both shocks re-built at different times and tyres of course then,
just servicing which i have always done myself.

As a comparison, i have done a fair few thousand miles on a 1250 RT (Blood Bike) and, while it's a good bike, i would not swap my TC for it. I have also ridden the GSA 1250 version and the same applies.

Just completed a final drive oil change and spline grease on a 2011 R1200GSA TC. Splines were like new and not a drop of moisture was evident, no surface rust whatsoever. Compare this to the 6 month old R1250GSA I checked and the splines showed evidence of surface rust and there was water inside the gaiter.

I like my new(ish) 1250GSA, but I do miss my old Hexhead and if buying another it would be a TC from around 2011-12 with the float fuel sensor.

Back
Top Bottom