ManxGP Cold stating problem R80 G/S

sj_4x4

Reaction score
I was at the Manx GP a few weeks ago and during the course of the week my G/S developed a cold start issue, would not fire at all on choke but would fire on right pot with no choke and pop’n’bang on left pot until warm, once warm it ran perfectly and would continue to run, idle and restart until stone cold again.

Getting a spark (twin spark heads) so thinking carb related, we’ve moved to Cornwall on returning home so only now getting a chance to look at it now the garage is unpacked, can anyone offer me a starter for ten please, first time playing with Bing carbs ?

Anyone from Cornwall here who can recommend bike related events and venues ?

Cheers, Geoff.

Was also @ the Manx (or what remains of it!) on my airhead after firstly my 96 VFR750 let me down, as did my 13 plate 1190R, very! spirited ride to make the Liverpool ferry!!!

Well done Steve for getting that straight away.

Please could you add a bit more detail - I could not see why it would fail to start on the choke, but would start without choke, and then ran fine when warm (i.e. Not rich). It still eludes me, please join the dots for me!

Was also @ the Manx (or what remains of it!) on my airhead after firstly my 96 VFR750 let me down, as did my 13 plate 1190R, very! spirited ride to make the Liverpool ferry!!!

I cheated and took the G/S in the back of a van that then doubled as sleeping accommodation, really didn't fancy 250 odd miles of motorways !

Saw loads of airheads and old G/S's got loads of pictures and video I need to sort through.

If you haven't seen it there was a photographer at the Gooseneck, I'm bottom right.

https://www.fantttastic.com/pages/gallery/mgp-2022.php?gall_id=903&page_no=34

Well done Steve for getting that straight away.

Please could you add a bit more detail - I could not see why it would fail to start on the choke, but would start without choke, and then ran fine when warm (i.e. Not rich). It still eludes me, please join the dots for me!

The choke sucks the fuel from the floatbowl , through the jet and then up the tube above the jet to the choke disc where it is mixed with air to provide a rich starting mixture. So i suppose if the jet is blocked and you still open the choke you just suck in air and starve the idle jet circuit .

Back
Top Bottom