Using the Drop Off system

What is the point of riding is a group? - no one will be really happy - just give a free way points for sat navs and meet at those stops if you really must. Everyone then goes at their own pace and follows their own nose or sat nav.

hqdefault.jpg

What is the point of riding is a group? - no one will be really happy - just give a free way points for sat navs and meet at those stops if you really must. Everyone then goes at their own pace and follows their own nose or sat nav.
Billy no mates post.....

Some obviously are happy and ride like this frequently.
3 or 4 in a small group is fine by me...providing I know them and we ride similarly. I did a ride back in maybe 2003/4 from Hawes to Whitby with the original bunch off here. That alone made me realise bigger groups weren't for me. Odd camber in the road that most spotted when approaching, but one didn't and his 30" leg didn't fit the 35" gap so he dropped the bike...2 miles into a 150 mile ride. The usual cluster of some filling up prior to set off (as requested), some needing it after 25 miles, some after 50 miles etc...and then there was the riding ability and some obviously riding way beyond their ability. I genuinely thought I'd see someone get badly hurt of killed in an off....not for me thanks. Works for some/many.

Have attended several ABR Ireland rallies over the years where the drop - off method is used. The routes have usually been around 150 - 200 miles with around 20 - 30 participants- has always worked with no issues

I’m taking a group from here around Connemara on Saturday & we’ll be using the drop-off which usually works really well but was a complete shit-show last year so I’ve copied Greg’s post into the thread in the hope it explains it better than I can 🤞

Read Post 33 of this thread - in particular the first and last paragraphs.

‘Herded around like sheep’.

Why be so judgemental and dismissive. Some riders are sociable and enjoy being in a group, perhaps relaxing in the fact that the travel arrangements, bookings etc are taken care of. Doesn’t make them sheep any more than a rider who likes their own company is a curmudgeonly sociopath

I don't see anything there to change my view. Some people like being herded around like sheep, some don't.
The point is that, had we been riding in a group, we could have assisted the guy who boke down.

As it was, nobody knew where he was....

The point is that, had we been riding in a group, we could have assisted the guy who boke down.

As it was, nobody knew where he was....
Yeah, but the group riding downsides outweigh such benefits for me.

A group of 30 is far too big to keep together, if you really must ride in a group split it into much smaller parts of 4 max and make sure those people know each other really well or are very forgiving in nature.

Last 'group' ride I did was 3 old school mates down to Troyes for a long weekend in June - we are old enough to have learnt to remain chilled no matter what happens, too easy for frustration to build in a big group with different mindsets.

The drop off system sucks all enjoyment out of a trip IMHO .
One of the reasons I stopped going with a group of mates on an annual trip .
Haven’t used it for about 7 years and so much better , especially if you ride with people of similar abilities and pace .
The faffers will always faff, regardless

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Thetwatcantalk

The faffers will always faff, regardless

Indeed. My heart always sank when any group I was with stopped for fuel. There'd always be someone who took off their helmet. That single action would guarantee that a 15 minute stop would become the thick end of an hour.

Indeed. My heart always sank when any group I was with stopped for fuel. There'd always be someone who took off their helmet. That single action would guarantee that a 15 minute stop would become the thick end of an hour.

That’ll be the same selfish twat that comes down ten minutes after everybody else in the morning and proceeds to spend another ten minutes adjusting his gloves and cuffs of his jacket.
There’s always one

Haven’t used it for about 7 years and so much better , especially if you ride with people of similar abilities and pace .

One of the qualities of the drop off system, is that it allows a group of riders of very mixed abilities and pace to ride together. All you need is a tail end Charlie, with a degree of patience.

Even with a small group of say five or six bikes, it is easy to sometimes get strung out, with over a mile or more between front and back.

Last edited:
One of the qualities of the drop off system, is that it allows a group of riders of very mixed abilities and pace to ride together. All you need is a tail end Charlie, with a degree of patience.

Even with a small group of say five or six bikes, it is easy to sometimes get strung out, with over a mile or more between front and back.
Having ridden with a fairly large group of mixed abilities in the past on several occasions and watching what's going on in front of you TEC is not a bad place to be

Back
Top Bottom