Touring tips

My motor policy has no exclusion about my bike being stolen (probably by being lifted into a van, by scrotes) when a spare key was hidden by being taped out of sight on the wishbone. Or indeed, any mention of a spare key at all.

My motor policy has no exclusion about my bike being stolen (probably by being lifted into a van, by scrotes) when a spare key was hidden by being taped out of sight on the wishbone. Or indeed, any mention of a spare key at all.

The problem arises when they come to pay out as they are buying the bike off you at that point (if its found it won't be returned to you) and they can ask for the spare key......THEN it can be a problem. Some policies may ask, do you have both keys when you take it out.

The problem arises when they come to pay out as they are buying the bike off you at that point (if its found it won't be returned to you) and they can ask for the spare key......THEN it can be a problem. Some policies may ask, do you have both keys when you take it out.

you have a vivid imagination - never seen such a term in an insurance contract

You mean a part froom the steps to take reasonable conditions to prevent your motorcycle from being stolen. Its actually called 'Reasonable Precaution'.

Those conditions

The words do not have to be specific

It would be considered unreasonable to leave the key on the bike.

This one is taken from the Bennetts Policy T&Cs for Motorcycles

• if care is taken to safeguard the keys from loss and where the keys were not left in, on or within
close proximity to your bike whilst it was unattended

NEXT

Maybe they have vivid imaginations

I managed to show you reality in like 5 minutes with TWO of the major bike insurers

Given that my insurer has no idea whether I have one key, two keys, six or ten keys, I wish them luck establishing which key is missing. Then mix in that there is no requirement on my policy not to secrete a key on my bike, means that I can rely on the pound of butter in my fridge to keep me safe. Others may differ. Others might not even lock their bike up.

I am aware of at least one person who arrived in Barnsley, a small village near Cirencester, rather than the big place in Yorkshire.

I am also aware of a contributor to this thread and his monotreme companion discovering there are multiple Hooks in Holland.

Yep, that was me but we did manage to catch the ferry :D

Given that my insurer has no idea whether I have one key, two keys, six or ten keys, I wish them luck establishing which key is missing. Then mix in that there is no requirement on my policy not to secrete a key on my bike, means that I can rely on the pound of butter in my fridge to keep me safe. Others may differ. Others might not even lock their bike up.

I just quoted two policies that clearly state not to leave your bike unattended with a key in or on the bike. Also use the words reasonable caution in others.

SO I have the feeling your policy probably does in one way or another cover their ass

Do whatever you like. If you prefer not to keep a dumb key secreted about your bike, then don’t.

Both bike’s spare keys lives in a pocket in my jacket all year round.

Another camping touring tip is to have big battery banks and install charging for them inside the top box, so they’re charged when you get to the campsite each night.

I would never leave a key with the bike, "hidden" or not, I am sure that would not be considered "reasonable care" by insurerers.

On tour I would put my spare keys in Mrs Jacket and Vice Versa....

...Obviously a challenge if touring solo, but it meant if one of us lost our keys or dropped them down a drain we would be OK/

Always kept a spare key taped in a secret place on the 'bike.

In your jacket or trousers armour is fine, but if they get nicked ....

Key with the 'bike .... never had a problem :thumby:

:beerjug:

I love threads like this ! We are all so different ! BUT that of course is what makes this place so good. Lots of different ideas. Keep it up chaps.
(ps .. I chuck all my dirties and buy new when I can) :D

Some people poo-poo using Google’s street view function to look at roads along a planned route.

I don’t buy into this at all, believing that it helps the route’s creator get a good feel for what it’ll be like. Here’s just a short sample of screenshots from a ‘scenic’ no motorways route I have created from Ste Menehould (near Verdun) down to Quarre les Tombes (at the top of the Morvan) using MyRoute’s ability to show street view views.

0aa78da257bda9a7b19ab7b65c756911.png

7c14e2008c091365362400e60c553d17.png

a951577f87eda4595a94c448a3e24919.png

d1aa7ebe1c0c7b54e15767131532f778.png

ea0e178d4358c2465c3d2ef6c8dd17d4.png

0244d6ca34f49be63cddf30434636c01.png

a620e4926e0ab2a58679d386ff2b4fff.png

The other useful thing was to act as a reminder. Here’s an easy example. I knew I could remember going through a small half-timbered town in the Morvan, entered via an old gate. I couldn’t though remember what the town was, simply that I had been through it going roughly along a route I intended to take when out for one day.

With a little bit of hunting in Google street view I found it. I was then able to:

A. Mark it for future use, Google having a better memory than me.

B. Include it as a waypoint on my route.

2ce7be034ae9a8cba7205a7100125be0.png

a4a43495a0beb9efe5ef78f80f4a8688.png

i have used the Google street view for route pre planning for some time to find places to ride to and to spot landmarks and turning points to create a visual mental reference. It works very well for me and has for quite some time, don't use google for routes though.

Back
Top Bottom