Touring tips

I am amazed at how much shite clothing, bods on this forum have available to throw away each day as they progress on their holiday.

I am also wondering how much time they waste each day, going out every morning to find and then buy yet another pair of pants, a T-shirt and socks.

A clothes peg, for attaching your ferry boarding ticket to your screen.

I am amazed at how much shite clothing, bods on this forum have available to throw away each day as they progress on their holiday.

I am also wondering how much time they waste each day, going out every morning to find and then buy yet another pair of pants, a T-shirt and socks.

I take old socks and knickers and dump them as, and when, necessary!
Take 6 - 10 pair of each and only buy new when necessary and you happen to be in a place that sells them - it's not difficult!
I use thin, lightweight t-shirts that wash, and dry, very easily and quickly.

Go in a van with your bike in the back and take as much crap as you like :thumb2

Airbeds and camp beds are bulky and quite frankly unnecessary.

Most of the Hotels beds I sleep in have perfectly good mattresses. :D

I don't 'camp' when touring any more but if I did, I would take my Exped Downmat DLX9 as the one indulgence: its not that big when packed, is super comfy and insulating from the cold floor and has a built-in hand pump to inflate. Its excellent insulation also means you can carry a thinner sleeping bag.

Sadly its now obsolete but similar others are available:

https://www.trailspace.com/gear/exped/downmat-9-dlx/

Rohan do some light boxers that dry in a couple of hours in your room.
Same with technical shirts (other brands are available!).
Craghoppers or Rohan trousers, separate shorts (zip offs are a definite NO!)
Merino T shirts / long sleeved T shirts are great for under riding jacket.
Patagonia gilet is a godsend, smart enough over a shirt on a cool evening, or under bike jacket if it gets chilly. Always looks smart.
A cheap down jacket - Uniqlo do one for under £50, brilliant bit of kit.
Plain waterproof, so it can go over bike jacket or separate in the evening.

Don’t need much, main thing is to keep up with the washing of kit so it doesn’t sit and stink in your bags.

most people don't go away every 3 or 4 weeks

I accumulated quite a few pairs of boxers during the Covid fallow period that had compromised elastic.

But, if it's pissing rain, put in in your clear tank bag navigation top section.

You're just showing off.:D

Or for proper real planning...
Take along a small clear plastic zip top freezer bag. If it pisses down, instert ticket into said bag then clothes peg it to your screen.:thumb

Apart from what you wear on your way to wherever, you don’t need much IMHO.

2 pairs merino boxers
2 technical shirts
2 pairs merino socks
Shorts 1 pair (technical, double as swimmies)
Lightweight hiking trousers 1
Cheap down jacket
Flip flops or crocs
Laundry line

That way you don’t need panniers just an Ortlieb bag on the back seat.

Plus a puncture repair kit and a ‘no commission’ credit card. No cash needed.

Just my £0.02

This, plus a pair of walking shoes.

I'm surprised at how many folk take a load of cheap t-shirts, socks and boxers and throw them out when dirty. It really is a rich western way to travel. I read in another thread someone saying they bought bulk packs of such items from Tesco and threw them away after one days use. No wonder the world is over using resources

I'm surprised at how many folk take a load of cheap t-shirts, socks and boxers and throw them out when dirty. It really is a rich western way to travel. I read in another thread someone saying they bought bulk packs of such items from Tesco and threw them away after one days use. No wonder the world is over using resources

Plus these often end up in landfill (I was shocked to discover recently).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take a photocopy of the front and rear of your credit cards and driving licence….or picture on your phone

When you loose your wallet, or it’s pick pocketed you have all your card details available to phone and cancel.

Two plastic bags for boots when slipping on waterproofs, can double up in keeping socks dry if boots soaked…….wear them inside this time.

Petrol station diesel gloves for inside soaked gloves….

Fit everything in one roll bag on your rear seat, use two roc straps……….soooo easy

Repacked again today. now have 4 pants and 4 socks :D and ready for tomorrow for the ride to Plymouth - hope the weather is kind for the 200 mile plus journey.

I’m too tight to do that….. take it, wash it or bring home dirty

Repacked again today. now have 4 pants and 4 socks :D and ready for tomorrow for the ride to Plymouth - hope the weather is kind for the 200 mile plus journey

You only need three pairs of socks

A clothes peg, for attaching your ferry boarding ticket to your screen.

Even better ...

i-6hXnP32-L.jpg

TouraTechyMickySpecial ...

My later versions were all stainless and rust free :D

:beerjug:

Repacked again today. now have 4 pants and 4 socks :D and ready for tomorrow for the ride to Plymouth - hope the weather is kind for the 200 mile plus journey.

You only need three pairs of socks

I make it that he has two pairs of socks, giving four socks in total. In other words, deficient in the sock department, before he even sets off.

What though is maybe more concerning is that he appears to be American, with four trousers and no underpants.

Back
Top Bottom