Touring tips

Mark H

Formerly known as Easyrider5258 (Mark)
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Aimed at our older forumites with heavy bikes, plan to arrive at destinations like ferry ports low on fuel, ... pushing a packed heavy bike around on greasy ferry decks is harder with a full tank, usually easy to find fuel around the destination port :thumb2

Leave Helmet and jacket on bike on ferry, it won't go anywhere, for peace of mind I run the bikes lock chain though it

Have a pre packed bag somewhere accessible on bike to take up to your cabin on overnight crossings just a lightweight trousers, personal care ect minimal stuff

Pack light, If i saw an empty space in my pannies I used to find something to put in it, going to Spain for a fortnight this weekend so packing now, just 4 tops 6 pants 2 pair socks, a fleece some washing liquid for a few washes, a amazon travel clothes line, usual meds and personal care stuff, footwear

Avoid Jeans, too heavy

Have mainstream Credit Card for Tolls and Fuel (I have a Lloyds mastercard) as reported elsewhere the pre loaded cards seem to be experiencing fraud and not easy to get your money back

Sort out your Travel insurance and recovery insurance

Have you got stuff to fix a puncture on side of road and inflate tyre?

Take a paper map

Don't forget continental mains plug adapter

Before setting off, place all the stuff you intend to pack for your trip on your bed.

Then place all the currency you intend to spend on your trip on your bed.

Next step is to halve the amount of stuff you want to pack.

Then double the amount of currencyyou have budgeted for.

Bon Voyage ! :)

Avoid Jeans, too heavy

Also avoid cotton t-shirts. Bulky and stay wet if they get wet with sweat or rain. Take synthetic wicking base layer tops instead. The "Isocool" ones from Mountain Warehouse are plenty good enough and can be had for a tenner or so normally. They can also be washed in your hotel sink or shower and will dry out completely overnight.

In a similar vein, don't pack bulky jumpers or fleeces. Take a lightweight down jacket instead. Warmer and can be compressed really small. Rukka and Klim sell good ones, but other options available from Cotswold or similar.

Have mainstream Credit Card for Tolls and Fuel (I have a Lloyds mastercard) as reported elsewhere the pre loaded cards seem to be experiencing fraud and not easy to get your money back

Get toll tags for where you are going to instead of paying by card. No need to take off gloves and look for cards at toll booths. Just sail right through. As all your tolls are viewable online, it's also much easier to contest if you are charged as the incorrect vehicle class. No need to keep receipts. eMovis can you sort you out for France, Spain and Portugal.

Just repacked for the 3rd time - removing clothes. Good advice.

Going for 2 weeks

So 6 pairs of socks, 1 trouser, 4 shirts plus 3 bike shirts. 6 pairs of boxers. 1 pair of footwear, thin EZ fleece which will also go under bike jacket if needed.
Pair of shorts and toiletries bag which includes small travel wash. :D

Probably to many shirts as apart from 2 all quick drying non cotton type.

Roll on Wednesday!

Plus, drone, jetboil, waterproofs puncture kit, spare set of gloves and go pro... :D

one final tip, cut the grass for the last time this year and have 3 litres of fuel left for the lawn mower. Just poured in to the bike.

Every little helps

have plenty of layers if travelling in Sept/Oct. On my recent trip I encountered a temperature range from 7C one morning to 28C when in the French Pyrenees. On one circuit, I arrived in Potes where it was 26C but just 11C at the top of the pass with the Deer Mirador.

I also use the Isocool shirts from Mountain Warehouse and a thin sweater if needed. I also carry a light fleece that can add another layer if really cold. The fleece is also handy to wear in the evenings after the sun goes down.

Just repacked for the 3rd time - removing clothes. Good advice.

Going for 2 weeks

So 6 pairs of socks, 1 trouser, 4 shirts plus 3 bike shirts. 6 pairs of boxers. 1 pair of footwear, thin EZ fleece which will also go under bike jacket if needed.
Pair of shorts and toiletries bag which includes small travel wash. :D

6 pairs of socks ? 6 pairs of boxers ?

do you not wash stuff ?

Aimed at our older forumites with heavy bikes, plan to arrive at destinations like ferry ports low on fuel, ... pushing a packed heavy bike around on greasy ferry decks is harder with a full tank, usually easy to find fuel around the destination port :thumb2

Leave Helmet and jacket on bike on ferry, it won't go anywhere, for peace of mind I run the bikes lock chain though it

Have a pre packed bag somewhere accessible on bike to take up to your cabin on overnight crossings just a lightweight trousers, personal care ect minimal stuff

Pack light, If i saw an empty space in my pannies I used to find something to put in it, going to Spain for a fortnight this weekend so packing now, just 4 tops 6 pants 2 pair socks, a fleece some washing liquid for a few washes, a amazon travel clothes line, usual meds and personal care stuff, footwear

Avoid Jeans, too heavy

Sort out your Travel insurance and recovery insurance

Have you got stuff to fix a puncture on side of road and inflate tyre?

Take a paper map

Don't forget continental mains plug adapter

Bike is filled up every day before stopping, that includes ferries. Ready for a day’s ride. Never had to push a bike on a ferry. Ride on. Stop. Tie down - not strap over seat, rear wards through frame, forward through crash bars.

RH pannier carries an orange marker so I lift the overnight bag for ferry that contains essentials. If I take the wrong bag I’d have an emabarassing evening prowling the ferry in bike boots and wet weather gear.

Could consider leaving helmet in empty pannier, but I like to give it an overnight wash. And long ago ruined a small helmet by carrying it in a top box where it rattled around, so wouldn’t want an expensive helmet ruined during an overnight North Sea ferry ride.

Wallet in one jacket pocket, phone in other pocket. Leave watch and Fitbit at home. Bike key clipped in to jacket pocket. Ever watched a friend hunting for his bike key in a hotel room? Take a lanyard.

Yes, puncture repair kit lives in “sandwich box” on pillion seat now. Got me home again last month.

Attachments

• AE92D9BE-B5B9-439E-AEB6-46901E7DC7A9.jpg
    AE92D9BE-B5B9-439E-AEB6-46901E7DC7A9.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 816
  • D33D9996-C4E2-4A46-964D-0365C28AF3B0.jpg
    D33D9996-C4E2-4A46-964D-0365C28AF3B0.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 877
6 pairs of socks ? 6 pairs of boxers ?

do you not wash stuff ?

I took 8 pairs of boxers on my recent trip. Only 2 came home, the rest were left as presents for hotel or ferry owners as they had impaired elastic

There are some proper skeffers on here.
Take 1 pair of socks, 1 pair of shreddies & 1 t-shirt for every day you're away you dirty beggars - have you no standards?
No wonder motorcyclists have a bad name.
Tut.

To add to the light weight slacks (probably with zip offs to make them shorts), might I suggest a pair of crocs as they have holes in them to keep the weight down and this will complete the look when you charge into the restaurant and bellow an order for steack et FRITZ…

Apart from what you wear on your way to wherever, you don’t need much IMHO.

2 pairs merino boxers
2 technical shirts
2 pairs merino socks
Shorts 1 pair (technical, double as swimmies)
Lightweight hiking trousers 1
Cheap down jacket
Flip flops or crocs
Laundry line

That way you don’t need panniers just an Ortlieb bag on the back seat.

Plus a puncture repair kit and a ‘no commission’ credit card. No cash needed.

Just my £0.02

Apart from what you wear on your way to wherever, you don’t need much IMHO.

Flip flops or crocs

Just my £0.02

Have you no shame? At least take a pair of lightweight hiking sandals (Merrell/Keen etc...). Because then you can at least do a proper walk in them, and with toe protection because it's never any fun ripping your big toenail off.

Hyleton travel adapter. Charge everything at once at night (phone, helmet Comms, etc). Proved so useful my mates also used it on recent trips. Especially on ferry where only one power socket...can charge 3 or 4 things at once ..

Attachments

• bnib_hyleton_worldwide_travel__1642493221_2f92aaae.jpg
    bnib_hyleton_worldwide_travel__1642493221_2f92aaae.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 397
Hyleton travel adapter. Charge everything at once at night (phone, helmet Comms, etc). Proved so useful my mates also used it on recent trips. Especially on ferry where only one power socket...can charge 3 or 4 things at once ..

I have something similar but with a long lead as I use a CPAP and the power socket on a ferry and often in hotel rooms is not always in a convenient place for the device.

Back
Top Bottom