5G in theory and practice?

ChrisJF

Where does this bit go ?
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Health issues forced me to stop riding recently :comfortbut assuming I can get back to motorcycling in the (?) not too distant future I'm now confusing myself about smartphones particularly 5G, unlimited (?) data plans and roaming charges and so I would appreciate the panel's advice.:thumb

My (Android - I know nothing whatsoever about Apple/iPhones) Samsung Galaxy S10 phone has been reliably trundling along for the last few years via 3G and a Vodafone PAYG simcard. I gather 3G is being phased out, 4G is taking over but 5G is the future (?) so the time has come to replace the S10 no matter what.

Motorrad's divorce from the Garmin/Navigator GPS families and their subsequent introduction of TFT displays on their latest motorcycles implies that a smartphone with roaming data is more or less essential if you want to use their navigation apps and the like with the TFT? What isn't clear to me is how much data is used/needed in the process and what's the best option to have.

Assuming I can get back on two wheels (let's assume a fairly recent BMW with the TFT) with the intention of bimbling around France as often as possible, what (android!) phone/plan is recommended offering the best VFM here?

Thanks in advance!

Contrary to what a lot of people think, using apps like Google maps, or BMW Connected, does not use a massive amount of data. If you have a 10GB a month data plan, that will more than cover map usage, with plenty left for other general use.

For BMW Connected, you have to download maps onto your phone, so it’s data usage is minimal anyway.

Can’t help with recommendations for an Android phone though, as I am an Apple fan. They just work!

Many UK operators now don't have free roaming, ie in France you pay extra, and handsomely for it :-(

I've heard you can get virtual SIM cards to make it cheaper on the data, luckily, my Tesco's plan included European roaming this year so I didn't have to investigate this further.

Luckily for me, I bought a sim only deal before the Brexit data change. So My all inclusive, Calls, Texts and Data are all unlimited in UK & Europe. £18.60 a month ! (Three)
Search around for a Sim only deal. O2 still don't charge for roaming. EE do, However, you get 25GB of data for use abroad. Like has been said. Whatever you'll be doing on your bike will be minimal, All my music is stored on my phone, 1 Terabyte, Galaxy S22 Ultra. This means I can stream music through my TFT without using data. If you use a streaming platform , Spotify for example it will be using data, which can add up over a couple of weeks.
So, Purchase a sim only card. And look at the EU roaming limits. EE is one of the best. And put all your music either on an SDHC card or in the phones memory.
Ride safe.

I know very little about Android phones but if your S10 is working then you could consider using that for the BMW Connected app as a dedicated bike phone - you don't need a SIM at all to use the app, the only things you'd miss would be "live traffic", which is of questionable utility anyway, and the ability to make and receive phone calls via the TFT.

And Live weather, Live radar, which is very handy, and live POI and Parking. Although I could live without that.

most of the operators are including data roaming abroad if you have certain packages, but there are the 3rd party companies, I have an ID mobile sim in my laptop which is more data that I will ever need and calls and roaming for about 10 a month, obviously dont use the calls on the laptop but it works, its on three and its a 5g card.
If your getting a new phone get a 5g one its not worth not getting one although you only get full use of it in certain locations, more important if you are going to use it as a satnav make sure that your preferred brand of holder does a case for your mobile and choose accordingly, nothing worse than to find that your new phone does not have a case and that you cant clip it to the bars etc.

IIRC, we established in another thread that BMW's system uses circa 1 gB per 17 hours of Nav usage - So, say 2 days/gB when touring.

Gives you an idea of the data plan you need, particularly roaming restrictions which, even when free supposedly, often carry some form of limitation.

Useful info' - many thanks

Thanks all - very helpful indeed:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom