Exhaust Valve

GSADavidZH2

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,

Is there any difference in running the bike with the exhaust valve left in when it is seized in the open position (like wot mine is!) or taking it out completely and replacing it with a bit of straight thro'pipe?. The servo motor has been disconnected at the electrical plug to stop that 'orrible whine.

Cheers.
David.

No, I replaced my headers, cat mnad exhaust valve with a set of straight through Keihan pipes on my previous Twin Cam Hexhead. Stayed with the standard end can, not only dropped some weight but gsve the bike a nice fruity exhaust sound. The ECU just modified itself.

illegally noisy and should lose a bit of bottom end power - if one remembers the Yamaha EXUP valve was never about noise - it was to keep the fuel inside where it can burn and make power rather the floating out the exhaust ruining the planet - its the same on a BMW - a cheap emission bodge up that should give an almost imperceptible increase in power where you want it.

I remember when I test rode the first GS that came with it - nasty childish idle and slower than my bike (had 1100 miles as every one wanted a play so loose enough), when I said why does it have to sound so crap at idle? he said funny everyone is saying that

Ran my Hexhead with the valve stuck in the open position, removed the cables and just left the servo in place. No issue in the 2 years & 16,000 miles it was like that. Couldn’t tell the difference when riding apart not cutting out on a closed throttle when approaching junctions which it had done a few times previously when the valve still worked.

Just take it out and use a straight piece of pop, I did it and it works fine, mine has a slight air leak and pops on the overrun, sounds sweet….

£5 cheaper if you buy the servo eliminator on ebay,direct from the company

£5 cheaper if you buy the servo eliminator on ebay,direct from the company

Why bother with one anyway?
Not having one won't put any Dash Lights on.
What does it matter if it just places an Error Code in the System:nenau

Just seen this (yet another) thread about the flappy valve. About 50k miles ago i found mine stuck so, i opened it right up, removed the servo and cables and left the bloody thing there.
Why the effort to put a poxy bit of pipe in there and bugger about with eliminator thingies i have no idea, yes, it shows a fault present when you scan the ECU with a GS911 but, so what?
It's doing no harm and, please don't come at me with "it'll perform better with an eliminator thingy" as it won't make a scrap of difference. Mine goes like SOASS and, i can get, if so minded,
60mpg out of it and, that's what is currently on the read out.

Ooh i feel better now, next :D :beerjug:

I want to know how you manage to get 60mpg??
I'm seeing Early - Mid 50's, no matter how I ride it...:nenau

By having the engine set up nice, valves, new plugs, carbtune etc and, steady riding. Me and a mate had a really nice, relaxed 175 mile ride round North Wales and that was
the result. I had, since servicing the bike and setting up what can be set up on the engine and installing new plugs seen a rise to mid, high 50's but this was another level.

Attachments

• 20220923_090546.jpg
    20220923_090546.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 135
I've seen it on one of my previous Hexheads, but rarely.
My 2010 TC has only just clicked over 20k now.
When she goes in for some MikeyBoy Magic over the Winter, I'll see if he can help push the numbers up a little :)

they can do incredible economy at low revs and low throttle settings

I can get it to show a steady 72mpg at 50mph after I got the fuelling to settle so it runs correctly it leaped up from 60

As to why use a dongle - because BMW are slippery customers - it would be most unlike them not to introduce a degradation to the vehicles running / performance / reliability if it has a stored fault code

Back
Top Bottom