Cleaning GS spoked wheels.

KMD

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I need to clean up a set of 1150Gs spoked wheels. It’s the usual muck and crud build up you would expect on a bike that has been serviced and used rather than polished and pampered, but it’s been on a while and is reluctant to come off.

I can (and probably will) take the wheels off and spend hours with steel wool and Solvol Autosol but before I do can I ask if anyone is aware of a cleaning product that can be applied to the spokes by brush and rinsed off, that is strong enough to remove the dirt but not stain the rim?

I also need to do the rims and hubs, so again, if anyone has a tried and tested way, I’d be grateful.

I'd start with Muc Off, SDoc100 or probably better - Paraffin. Wheels off.

IIRC, if it's a GS and not a GSA it should have plated spokes that might need replacing if really corroded. GSA will be stainless.

IIRC, if it's a GS and not a GSA it should have plated spokes that might need replacing if really corroded. GSA will be stainless.

You’re right, they do appear to be plated. I am considering having both wheels professionally refurbished at:

https://www.thersbywheelrepair.co.uk/

As they are quite close to me and I have had work done by Roy previously, and I know he is very good. That would of course require new spokes, nipples and grub screws at about £120 per wheel. I’m guessing I’d be looking at £250 per wheel completed. So I’d like to give them the best chance of surviving with just a good clean if it’s possible.

You could try a firm that does vapour blasting or soda blasting. Less agressive than bead blasting and won't damage or peen the surface. Then you'll be able to see where you are at with corrosion and perhaps only replace some spokes

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I used Autosol and new stiff tooth brushes. Only a cheap multi pack though. They eventually come up like mirrors. :thumb2. Lots of time and elbow grease. :thumb2

My 53 plate GS has S/S spokes, slightly magnetic.

This weekend I had both wheels off, main reason for the front, was to paint the fork lowers. As the wheel was off.;)

Of course once that was clean, the back wheel had to come off.

I just used washing up liquid, tooth brush, any other brush that was to hand, and warm water, cleaned the spokes ok. Rims however, I sprayed with WD40, got a lot off stuff off, but not all of it.

mmmm.... I did this to my wheels years ago, seemed good, oohhh shiny afterwards.
turned out that there is an anodising / lacquer type covering / protection layer that I had cleaned away.
Wheels have never been as clean and shiny since
There are some other threads out there about this

Back
Top Bottom