Fuel tank retaining bolts - Himalayan

Wapping

Reaction score
Something odd happened when I removed the two retaining bolts at the rear of the fuel tank.

The fuel tank was full of fuel, so it’s hard to imagine that it moved very far.

All of the self-help videos on the (very easy) removal of the tank and its reinstallation, show the two bolts being dropped into place easily and simply snugged down. This is much as you’d expect.

I took the two bolts out but didn’t touch anything else. When I went to replace the bolts two minutes later, I expected them to just drop into place. They didn’t…… Somehow, with no outside intervention, the tank had shifted, leaving the bolts out of line with the two simple holes in the frame, into which the bolts bolt into.

Getting the full tank to line up with the holes and the two large penny washers, was a real bitch.

At some point I am going to remove the tank fully to run a power supply up to my Garmin XT and maybe a separate one to run power into my tank bag. For sure:

A. I am going to drain the tank first.

B. I am going to secure the two penny washers in place, gluing then to the bottom of the rubber mounts on the bottom of the tank. This will stop the damned things slipping out of line.

I powered my GPS up from the side light supply inside the headlight .... easy peasy :thumb2

:beerjug:

A cunning plan but:

1. The XT has a complicated power lead (which I am reluctant to tamper with) including a block, which need to be shoved somewhere.

2. I want to run a separate power line up to the front anyway.

Back
Top Bottom