Puncture repaired in Santander

the woodster

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Chaps, I am due to catch the 1945 ferry back to Plymouth and have been nursing a repair for five days but it's slowly getting worse. It would be weary to get on the ferry and it deflate completely. Has anyone used a repair place in Santander that they can recommend please?

You could try the Dealer in Santander; they are about 5 miles west of the Ferry Terminal ............ https://www.facebook.com/GrunblauMotorrad/

If they can't help, they can probably direct you accordingly.

However, it's probably easier to ship back to the UK - talk to the loading crew & tell them the problem; I'm sure you won't be the first.

There is a thread on recommended tyre fitters in Spain - but you may have to look through the archives as it was a few years ago

Wouldn’t try the BMW dealer myself, had some dealings with them in May, not impressed, they are mainly a car dealer.

Thanks you to you all for your suggestions. I am now leaving Santander with bike in the bowels of the ship and putting my trust in Brittany Ferries that it can be sorted. I tried the BMW dealer but no one answered the phone and two tyre places could do it but not in the time I had. Ironically, the ferry left 50 minutes late and I could have got it fixed and made it. Cest le vie. I have an offer of a fellow traveller to try and use his tyre inflator connected to my battery when we get off. At least it will get me off the ferry and in the hands of BMW recovery.

Thanks you to you all for your suggestions. I am now leaving Santander with bike in the bowels of the ship and putting my trust in Brittany Ferries that it can be sorted. I tried the BMW dealer but no one answered the phone and two tyre places could do it but not in the time I had. Ironically, the ferry left 50 minutes late and I could have got it fixed and made it. Cest le vie. I have an offer of a fellow traveller to try and use his tyre inflator connected to my battery when we get off. At least it will get me off the ferry and in the hands of BMW recovery.

Make sure your engine's running when you use his compressor, or you'll be pushing it off the ferry:beerjug:

Glad you made it on to the ferry, it's never good having bike troubles especially when over in another country,
Hope you get off the ferry OK.
Ian.

Is it a puncture? Where exactly.
Is your plug that is leaking?

In most cases, literally any mechanic, tyre place, recovery van can fix that – if you don't want to do it yourself with the tyre repair kit.
Just trundle to the closest open place you can find on the map?

Next time, remember to take an inflator and a plug kit with you:

https://rockycreekdesigns.co.uk/products/motopressor-pocket-pump

https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/stop-and-go-pocket-tyre-plugger-tubeless-standard-561467

Lots of peace of mind for not a lot of dough.

Next time, remember to take an inflator and a plug kit with you:

https://rockycreekdesigns.co.uk/products/motopressor-pocket-pump

https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/stop-and-go-pocket-tyre-plugger-tubeless-standard-561467

Lots of peace of mind for not a lot of dough.

FWIW.
Lots of riders bring such gear with them. If ever in need, and there are other riders around, it may well be worth asking other riders if they are able to help.
I have yet to meet a rider that would decline such a request if he/she has the needed tools available...

FWIW.
Lots of riders bring such gear with them. If ever in need, and there are other riders around, it may well be worth asking other riders if they are able to help.
I have yet to meet a rider that would decline such a request if he/she has the needed tools available...

Absolutely right. I have repaired punctures at the side of the road for several people over the years. It's a pleasure to help people out.

It's funny actually, when I am on group rides and we have somebody with a flat tyre or a dead battery it seems that quite a high proportion of people say "Here, I've got a booster pack you can use", or "I've got a plug kit and compressor". But it's always better to have the kit yourself just in case...

I couldn't agree more with all the above comments and always carry a good quality roadside repair kit and ensure that one of the group has the means to inflate a tyre, outside the CO2 cannisters in the kits. In our case it was a inflator that needed to be connected to the battery.

I made a roadside plug repair in the pissing rain at the garage in Riano, of which I have a lot of experience, unfortunately! This repair held solid for 5 days but then started leaking when not riding, as the heat of the tyre in use kept it sealed. I think you can guess the rest: I should have sacrificed a few hours riding to get it done but the blast down to Aragon for the MotoGP put paid to that. We stopped at various places that looked promising but no joy.

Leaving it overnight was fine as I just rode to the nearest garage and inflated it but the 24 hours on the ferry with no access to it meant that it would be flat and it was. I was just about to connect the admittedly untried inflator to my battery and hope for the best when a very kind guy behind me dug into the depths of his luggage and offered what looked like a Kyobi power drill to me which turned out to be the mother of all inflators. Boom: problem solved. I didn't even have to take my luggage off to inflate the tyre.

Lesson learned. :beerjug:

Stop ‘n Go plug kit and an Airman tyre inflator are the items to have. Glue and sticky string for any odd shaped incisions too big for a plug. Got the kit on both my bikes.

Happily helped a few riders with roadside punctures over the years, only one ungrateful twat so far on a Yamaha Tracer 900 just outside Fareham M27 who was bound for Exeter with his mate…….I couldn’t believe his attitude or lack of trust in my temporary repair. Next time, fix your own fucking puncture you ungrateful miserable Cnut whoever you are, I hope Karma gets you.

Stop ‘n Go plug kit and an Airman tyre inflator are the items to have. Glue and sticky string for any odd shaped incisions too big for a plug. Got the kit on both my bikes.

Happily helped a few riders with roadside punctures over the years, only one ungrateful twat so far on a Yamaha Tracer 900 just outside Fareham M27 who was bound for Exeter with his mate…….I couldn’t believe his attitude or lack of trust in my temporary repair. Next time, fix your own fucking puncture you ungrateful miserable Cnut whoever you are, I hope Karma gets you.

This made me chuckle!! You are obviously a nice person. I would have just packed up and chugged off!!

This made me chuckle!! You are obviously a nice person. I would have just packed up and chugged off!!

After stopping to help the two bikers, one of whom had a flat front tyre, the rider then suggested it wouldn’t be fit to ride on and that it needed a good half an hours wait to test before riding. I told him where to visit locally to get a proper tyre repair mushroom fitted at short notice on a Saturday afternoon and he was still adamant no repair would be worth doing….A proper aloof twat who knew better, even though he had just been helped out. At that point I stopped wasting my time and as you say, I “packed up and chugged off”.

No idea what he did after that but I’d wager my ‘temporary’ repair could have worked for the remaining life of the tyre.

For future reference my brother got a puncture 1 mile from the ferry in Portsmouth
The other end there is a Guzzi Aprillia dealer we phoned ahead from the boat to book it in
Managed to inflate it enough to get from the ferry to the dealer 1/4 mile on the road out of town by the station
All sorted in about 3 hours and back on the road

Back
Top Bottom