Picos June 2023

Done the Picos twice, on the last trip we stayed in a large Hotel within a former monastery next to a river, an absolutely stunning place and highly recommended. It had underground secure parking with ancient monastery ruins on display under glass within the car park itself, the rooms were huge and the food was excellent. You were free to wander the building and check out the courtyards and massive library, it had a spa in the basement.

I can’t remember the exact location but Diplomatic Danny on the forum will know which it is as he arranged the hotel bookings.

Done the Picos twice, on the last trip we stayed in a large Hotel within a former monastery next to a river, an absolutely stunning place and highly recommended. It had underground secure parking with ancient monastery ruins on display under glass within the car park itself, the rooms were huge and the food was excellent. You were free to wander the building and check out the courtyards and massive library, it had a spa in the basement.

I can’t remember the exact location but Diplomatic Danny on the forum will know which it is as he arranged the hotel bookings.

Great minds think alike.

It’s Parador de Corias.

See my post above yours.

Great minds think alike.

It’s Parador de Corias.

See my post above yours.

That’s the place ! The pictures didn’t load on my tablet (I can see them now) otherwise I wouldn’t have replied.

One of the best hotels I’ve stayed in.

So that's the sailing to do Plymouth to Santader ?

So that's the sailing to do Plymouth to Santader ?

Yes. As it is the shortest crossing to Spain at circa 23h.
Otherwise if you do Portsmouth to Santander/Bilbao, you’re be bobbing at sea for another full day.

Yes. As it is the shortest crossing to Spain at circa 23h.
Otherwise if you do Portsmouth to Santander/Bilbao, you’re be bobbing at sea for another full day.

Thanks pal.

Or you take the tunnel like me and ride there!

I’d say it would be 4 days for you and 3 days or similar for Doc to get down there via the tunnel.
Unless you do motorway/autoroute all the way to Spain. By that time your rear tyre will be square and half worn, as it is a journey of 24h non stop and circa 1500 miles. Not to mention circa £120-150 in fuel and and £70-100 a night for hotels.
Unless you desperately not good at sea, I’d choose ferry crossing.
You could do Scotland to ferry (Plymouth) in one hit via motorway network, if set off really early. Then kip on the ferry and be fresh (bike including) for the holiday.

I will be doing (TBC) a return leg via France, then sail out of Cherbourg or St Malo on a day crossing to Portsmouth. The crossing currently does cost £80ish. Which is far less than a room for the night in the hotel, plus fuel, and nursing now prety much worn out rear tyre.
There is a night time crossing from Cherbourg departing at 11pm, which does arrive to Portsmouth around 8am the following morning. Meaning you can hit motorway all the way to Scotland in one day.

Or book a return crossing to Plymouth and stay a few extra days in Spain. From memory last year we docked at Plymouth around 2pm (on the road realistically by 2:30-2:45pm. You’d have to find a half way house somewhere, if you were to do this crossing, as I doubt you’d be keen to do Plymouth to Scotland in one hit….

All motorways….

69e730647edd48831897caab5077c680.png

I’d say it would be 4 days for you and 3 days or similar for Doc to get down there via the tunnel.
Unless you do motorway/autoroute all the way to Spain. By that time your rear tyre will be square and half worn, as it is a journey of 24h non stop and circa 1500 miles. Not to mention circa £120-150 in fuel and and £70-100 a night for hotels.
You could do Scotland to ferry (Plymouth) in one hit via motorway network, if set off really early. Then kip on the ferry and be fresh (bike including) for the holiday.

I will be doing (TBC) a return leg via France, then sail out of Cherbourg or St Malo on a day crossing to Portsmouth. The crossing currently does cost £80ish. Which is far less than a room for the night in the hotel, plus fuel, and nursing now prety much worn out rear tyre.
There is a night time crossing from Cherbourg departing at 11pm, which does arrive to Portsmouth around 8am the following morning. Meaning you can hit motorway all the way to Scotland in one day.

Or book a return crossing to Plymouth and stay a few extra days in Spain. From memory last year we docked at Plymouth around 2pm (on the road realistically by 2:30-2:45pm. You’d have to find a half way house somewhere, if you were to do this crossing, as I doubt you’d be keen to do Plymouth to Scotland in one hit….

All motorways….

Good info. there.

However, I'm 680 miles from Dover and usually do it in one day (weather permitting)
I'll, probably, ride down RdGA again and then head for the gorge du tarn and on to Spain.
I may do bottom up or just head to Carnfranc to see the huge railway station and then across to the hotel.
After the Picos, etc. I may head west / south / etc.

I don't know about the Multistrada's tyre use yet but I did Bulgaria, and everything inbetween, this summer and covered c.8.5k miles and still have some tread left on the GSA.

Good info. there.

However, I'm 680 miles from Dover and usually do it in one day (weather permitting)
I'll, probably, ride down RdGA again and then head for the gorge du tarn and on to Spain.
I may do bottom up or just head to Carnfranc to see the huge railway station and then across to the hotel.
After the Picos, etc. I may head west / south / etc.

I don't know about the Multistrada's tyre use yet but I did Bulgaria, and everything inbetween, this summer and covered c.8.5k miles and still have some tread left on the GSA.

It seem you going to start your jollies waaaaay before us…. 8.5k out the rear? I’ve done 2270 this last trip and I am half worn on the rear which was brand new on the 3rd of September, now at 3.35-3.5mm remaining to the wear indicator.
Ok I was two up and with full luggage…. I recon I will use this tyre in Spain next year and by the time I get back home, it’ll be done.

It seem you going to start your jollies waaaaay before us…. 8.5k out the rear? I’ve done 2270 this last trip and I am half worn on the rear which was brand new on the 3rd of September, now at 3.35-3.5mm remaining to the wear indicator.
Ok I was two up and with full luggage…. I recon I will use this tyre in Spain next year and by the time I get back home, it’ll be done.

Plus, you're on a KTM 1290 SAS!

Maybe I have a gentler right hand (although not so much on the Multistrada)!

Plus, you're on a KTM 1290 SAS!

Maybe I have a gentler right hand (although not so much on the Multistrada)!

I wasn’t much better on tyre when I had my LC GS & GSA. Once in the twisties, I do enjoy a good cornering session. Takes that squaring out of the tyre…… I famously rode up the Col de Rousset on my 1290 in rain mode, when it was bone dry and hot. Certain Arsey had a bloody good lough at my expense. Mind you, I was new to the bike and it barely done 1000 miles at the time.

I wasn’t much better on tyre when I had my LC GS & GSA. Once in the twisties, I do enjoy a good cornering session. Takes that squaring out of the tyre…… I famously rode up the Col de Rousset on my 1290 in rain mode, when it was bone dry and hot. Certain Arsey had a bloody good lough at my expense. Mind you, I was new to the bike and it barely done 1000 miles at the time.

Your map need to start c. 125 miles further north to where Dallas is!
Westish of Elgin.

All motorways….

Ferry for me then we might ride back up through France to Rotterdam and make a fortnight of it.

Ferry for me then we might ride back up through France to Rotterdam and make a fortnight of it.

So have you stuck two fingers up to your palls and Cochem then? Does this mean you are in?

I am definitely doing Spain-France-UK, on a return leg. If you are into that sort of thing, you can do WWII Normandy beaches on your way up to Rotter….

To be confirmed, but I think we are stopping in San Sebastián for a night, then Bordeaux or La Rochelle for another night.
Martin is waiting for his local ferry company (Condor) to publish a sailing schedule for next year. Apparently it’ll be listed next month. So based on the crossing dates/times, above stops will need to be reviewed at the later date.

San Sebastián is a place to be at. Well known fact. At least once in a lifetime. It’ll be right up your street…. Jayne might have to steer you after while though…. :)

So have you stuck two fingers up to your palls and Cochem then? Does this mean you are in?

I am definitely doing Spain-France-UK, on a return leg. If you are into that sort of thing, you can do WWII Normandy beaches on your way up to Rotter….

To be confirmed, but I think we are stopping in San Sebastián for a night, then Bordeaux or La Rochelle for another night.
Martin is waiting for his local ferry company (Condor) to publish a sailing schedule for next year. Apparently it’ll be listed next month. So based on the crossing dates/times, above stops will need to be reviewed at the later date.

San Sebastián is a place to be at. Well known fact. At least once in a lifetime. It’ll be right up your street…. Jayne might have to steer you after while though…. :)

No chance of me doing that pal. La Rochelle I do want to visit there.

No chance of me doing that pal. La Rochelle I do want to visit there.

Let’s do it! It’ll be a giggle. I’ve been to La Rochelle before. 2017 I think. It is nice.

385dc3199d7fe75c8482a5850b0e20c3.jpg

43c42e034cee9a5562c80cf1b615cd2d.jpg

c42d4ca7d949c10558af11de0a4f9ddf.jpg

883c598d7459240eb5fb1b8ba7bc4179.jpg

374fccf1845dba414d3c7befd49965d4.jpg

ba1c2fafd9bb9ac79af2acb22e69ddba.jpg

Won’t be Bordeaux but possibly La Rochelle or Île de Re.

Both great

f34521e2cdaa7108415ff90ff283f6cb.jpg

890e18ac308b0f3f8f1e64c4b90b3298.jpg

Not been to San Sebastián for about 15 years so time to revisit ,

View from hotel terrace overlooking the bay

4092a7e504fb177dad36aadbcc535a56.jpg

(Not us :)

aaeb4de6925b6f269bcaf54025322f25.jpg

A chap I met on tour to Italy in 2016 might be joining us.
His name is Paul ([mention]astrro [/mention]on here), there were two others too, but……………………….. one slept with a “Rambo” knife under a pillow……………. Enough said……….

Back
Top Bottom