Picos June 2023

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just mulling over a little trip to the Picos in June 2023.
I’d be probably getting the Plymouth -Santander ferry on 18th June then stay probably four nights at the Hotel Del Oso, before probably riding home via my place in Brittany.

Started a new thread here to save fucking up Mark H’s thread.

I know Evskij may be up for it and possibly Khulu.

Anybody else ?

Don’t think Doc can make it as he’ll be just back from Cochem.

It’ll be a nice trip to give the Wing a run and nice to be based in one place.

I’ve ridden the Picos for five out of the last six years so know the area pretty well, and the Hotel del Oso is fabulous, with a lovely location , great hosts with great food and huge G and T’s.

Plus the St Bernards always on hand to greet you.

Plenty of tracks from Espinama to Sotres etc for those on GSs etc.

Will just potter around and do some old fav routes each day and possibly cable car up to Fuente De then walk down.

e9a536e5cb741c5b684e173dbcecb918.jpg

e261a90c7770b326d8eb74ede11d0fad.jpg

4a7639a81301c56c53045f33d358a2ea.jpg

254e7cc473e9655a6f03e8016e31edc4.jpg

6988b9fba14831d0f575e4eabc98caa9.jpg

b633b9bde8e07e4dde246cdf951d77f8.jpg

a1e94edc71259ef0e005712b233a8d22.jpg

69e4a5e27cfa728ddc9dc3449ac85e95.jpg

edc08589eac858180827e34a05a84643.jpg
256f6298e0dd86d6b358be45618d09a4.jpg

45e9c37752fb72a21401871b8de6e40a.jpg

One of many fabulous routes

db38f58c3119e336690485fe6bfc6ab3.jpg

Ideally no more than 5 of us so probably 3 spare places….

I'm up for that too!
Great food, company, big dogs, routes to ride - what's not to like?
I'd ride 680 miles to the tunnel and then head for northern Spain through France.
I'm excited already-fcuk Aragon!!!!

I will have to visit the Segovia Roman aqueduct though!

I'd ride 680 miles to the tunnel and then head for northern Spain through France.

I will have to visit the Segovia Roman aqueduct though!

It’s a bloody long ride, Arsey and I done St. Malo to Santo Domingo de Silos last year and stopped for the night in the naval college/hospital in Rochefort, and until you get to the Pyrenees, it is a bit dull, certainly doable, but a tad dull. Then over the mountains and into dry, windy and what seem like deserted flat lands of central Spain.

I’d only do it, if I was completely crap sailor, as last year out of Santander, I was throwing up within an hour of leaving port in a 2m swell, so went to bed at 6pm and slept until I was ready so welcome sunrise on top deck.
Ride to Plymouth is a good 4 hours for me. I took a scenic route via Dartmouth last year upon returning home. Then gassed it proper when darkness fell and chances of plod about on the A303 was minimal. Eventually overtaking a very surprised matey whom we were together on the trip with. He thought I was a plod. Not a clue what gave him that idea, as I’ve not seen plod on 1290 Adventure before.

The viaduct thingy, I must look that up…..

I’ve booked the boat for Ev and myself.

Departing Plymouth for Santander on 18th and have filled in a booking request for the Hotel Del Oso for 4 nights from 19 June.

Just received my confirmation from the Del Oso, will ping them an email with payment details tomorrow, as I can’t be bothered right now.

Tempting........had I not been to Picos and Del Oso last October and June this year I'd have jumped at this invitation :drool:duno

Tempting........had I not been to Picos and Del Oso last October and June this year I'd have jumped at this invitation :drool:duno

Well by then it’ll be 12 months since……

What the weather was like in June?

Booking request sent for 19th June for 4 nights!

Do they serve dunkel bier?

If not I'm sure they'll have some decent red wine!

Well by then it’ll be 12 months since……

What the weather was like in June?

A good point well made ;)

Correction I was there late May early June, weather was terrible :augie

i-Rc5QrxN-X2.jpg

The view from my room at Del Oso was equally terrible.

i-k53vWk4-X2.jpg

A good point well made ;)

Correction I was there late May early June, weather was terrible :augie

i-Rc5QrxN-X2.jpg

The view from my room at Del Oso was equally terrible.

i-k53vWk4-X2.jpg

It all looks shite….. including that two wheeled monstrosity

Now get onto the tintinet, and book that hotel….. 4 nights commencing 19th of June…..

See you there….

Booking request sent for 19th June for 4 nights!

Do they serve dunkel bier?

If not I'm sure they'll have some decent red wine!

Purrfect!

I just need to pay for my hotel this morning and figure out the return crossing date out of France…. I don’t think I need to rush…..

Looks a stunning place. If I hadn't booked Cochem I definitely would have come. Looks as though later in the year for me Billy no mates style. ;)

Looks a stunning place. If I hadn't booked Cochem I definitely would have come. Looks as though later in the year for me Billy no mates style. ;)

Stop being comfortably predictable. There are other places in the world to see and visit, besides your fave, Cochem…..

Stop being comfortably predictable. There are other places in the world to see and visit, besides your fave, Cochem…..

True but its organised and I don't let people down.

Back
Top Bottom