Retrofitting Di2

AndyB_11

Still waiting
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone here retrofitted Di2 components onto a road bike with Ultegra R8000 components?

I’m sitting outside a pub looking at my bike and wondering how difficult it can be to do, the bike has a sticker on it saying it’s Di2 ready so it’s going to be a bit of quality You Tube time as a minimum but if someone has already tried it and found it to be a waste of time and money I’ll say thanks and save my time and money :D

Before I get asked if I’ve tried a bike with electronic shifters then yes I have and thought it was any improvement on mine but if I’ve got to spend a fortune on parts then pay someone to fit it I’ll probably not bother.

I built my wife a Trek Domane SLR from frame only and bought the parts of the spec I wanted.
I would say it is well worth it and she loves it in full syncro mode.
You might be able to try a Di2 spec demo bike?
If you are mechanical and like messing with bikes it will not be a problem.
Hers has Shimano hardwear .
If you need any advice from my experience get in touch.
Den

I have built 2 bikes in the last 3 years using Di2, its actually quite straightforward. Internal cable routing is absolutely essential beyond that the battery inside the seat post, the bluetooth coms device and the external junction box (under the stem) gives most flexibility to add Triathlon bar shifters etc.

I have only ever had issues when the battery runs out after about 2 months, Garmin head units now monitor the battery level so its likely to be less of an issue.

If you regularly but the bike in the back of a car take car if a level is laying against the floor or side of the car. The battery runs down quickly or goes into crash mode that can render the system inoperable.

The really great thing is the ease of upgrading individual components, bolt on, plug in, instruct the system with e tube app what you have added, update firmware and go. The app is also great for adjusting the fine tuning of the gear change when swapping wheels.

Thanks guys.

The bike is Di2 prepared and the existing cables run through the frame plus it’s got an access cover which should mean I don’t need to buy the tools to remove the crank so that’s a major bonus. The bike I had a go on had full synchro changes which was good for me because it removed my tendency to hang onto the biggest chain ring too long which kills me on long slow climbs which is why the idea of changing to electronic has been festering in my mind for a while.

I’ve had a look at a few videos and if I’m honest the part that worries me most is taping the bars because if I do a crap job it’ll be like an itch that can’t be left alone :D

I’ve had a look at a few videos and if I’m honest the part that worries me most is taping the bars because if I do a crap job it’ll be like an itch that can’t be left alone :D

Calvin's yer man.....After (say) three DEAD PATIENT goes you will piss it.....:thumb

I believe fitting into a steel frame is a bit more tricky as magnets are involved, otherwise it’s ok. And wrapping handlebar tape is just watching YouTube and practicing, the main thing is keeping a consistent tension during the wrap.

I can watch any number if videos about taping bars and I still know it won’t be as good as I’d want it. I live in Lancashire, there must be a small cycle shop that’ll do that part for me and make a neat job of it.

I believe fitting into a steel frame is a bit more tricky as magnets are involved, otherwise it’s ok. And wrapping handlebar tape is just watching YouTube and practicing, the main thing is keeping a consistent tension during the wrap.

It’s lucky I’ve got a carbon frame then :D

It’s supposed to rain tomorrow so I might bring the bike indoors and have a look under the access covers. There’s at least one that’s fairly large and another small one under the crank set but if I need to use that one it means I’ll be removing the crankset so tool purchases will be required.

Once I’ve had a look I’ll pop down to Merlin where I purchased the bike and have a chat with one of their spanner monkeys, they’re only 5 minutes from home and are very approachable so I might get a useful insight.

I can watch any number if videos about taping bars and I still know it won’t be as good as I’d want it. I live in Lancashire, there must be a small cycle shop that’ll do that part for me and make a neat job of it.

Bill Nicksons in leyland will sort your Di2 or even just tape the bars. Ultegra works great with Di2

Bill Nicksons in leyland will sort your Di2 or even just tape the bars. Ultegra works great with Di2

That’s the kind of information I need. I rode through Leyland earlier today and if the rain holds off I might do a repeat trip tomorrow :thumb2

The only issue I can see with an upgrade is that I’m using rim brakes which limits the options and if I don’t move soon there won’t be any options. I’d sooner just buy front and rear derailleurs, levers, battery etc and not buy a new cassette, crankset and brakes because mine have only done a couple of hundred miles but that’s not looking too straightforward :blast

If you are buying all the Di2 kit, a crank removal tool is going to seem like a very cheap add on. It's a useful tool to have around, too.

http://https://www.billnicksoncycles.co.uk

or in Walton Le Dale http://https://walliscycles.com both shops very good. Wallis actually have now a "sub Shop" inside Roots Cafe, you will have been there surely. you should not have to change cassette cranks etc , possible new levers/hoods , defo new rear and front derailleurs.

for the issue with bar tape it just takes practice , do it a few times with a 1 inch masking tape ,to get the hang of it. this way you can then pull it off cheaply and not ruin or throw away the more expensive bar tape

I looked at doing this a few years ago, but gave up the notion when I saw the price of all the required parts! Maybe prices have come down since.

Andy I ride with some old and wrinkly leisure riders ( at 16 mph avg!). A number of them have switched to Di2 or Sram Red, all love it and say they would never go back. One lad has been using Di2 for 8 years, only has praise for it.

I looked at doing this a few years ago, but gave up the notion when I saw the price of all the required parts! Maybe prices have come down since.

I didn’t think I’d be the only one who liked the idea :D

If I can get the parts I want and not get my arse kicked by having to buy over £500 worth of parts I don’t want I’ll be doing it but if I have to buy a complete package I’m not so sure.

Shame you’re not anywhere near Norfolk! After about 10 years of competition tennis I’m pretty damn good at putting wrap on racket handles! :D Can’t see push bikes being any more difficult. :nenau

Back
Top Bottom