Moving to Glossop area: advice please

Repoman

Reaction score
I will be starting a new job in Manchester in the new year and need to get the family sorted pronto - house, schools etc.

We reckon that Glossop / Chapel-en-le-Frith area is about right and nicely on the edge of the peak district which is the attraction. Does anyone have any advice regarding the following:

Good estate agent for house purchase
letting agent for short term rental
Good secondary schools for the junior repos (M15 and F12)

We need to get the kids into school for the start of next term (early jan) and we dont leave Ireland until Dec 16th, so no pressure there then...

And btw Mrs. repo is a primary teacher so any heads reading -gizzer a job!

Thanks!

I know the Glossop area extremely well (I have family living there). I live about three miles away. If you need any advice pm or call me 07976 - 814187 :thumb

Isn't Glossop area where men are men and sheep are scared!! :eek:

:D :D

Glossop is a nice place

I used to go through Glossop alot when I lived in Stockport and it is a nice place. It can be a fair trek into the centrre of MAnchester but it depends where your place of work is. Only suggestion is to be aware of Hattersly - not sure what its like now but had a very poor reputation in the 80's and 90's.

The Peak District is a gem of a place so you can't go wrong - some great Green Lanes the other side of the snake pass as well ;)

AndyT

Went to college (A-levels) in Marple, grew up in Stockport - Glossop's OK I think, not sure about schools, although a lot of the kids from Glossop used to come to do their A-levels in Marple (I don't think the 6th form provision over there was too good) Hattersley was and is rough, Stalybridge (Staly-vegas) not much better, Gee Cross / Hyde are all a bit rough in places. I think the closer to the peak district you are, the better. Marple and Mellor are quite nice, and there are reasonably good schools / connections by train to Manchester / shopping, etc from that side of the hill. Had a friend who lived in Tintwistle which was fairly good. Nice walks around the reservoirs, hills, etc.

I believe there's a certain Viscount of Derbyshire who posts on these boards quite regularly who knows the Chapel / New Mills side of town fairly well. Chapel en le Frith also has the direct trains to Manchester if required (although the station is nearer the railway than the town) - driving to Manchester from Chapel via the A6 is not a pleasant experience on 2 or 4 wheels. New Mills has the benefit of TWO stations - both of which are very small, Hazel Grove has good(ish) trains- more frequent than New Mills. Glossop is also on the train line, and has slightly nicer electric trains if I recall correctly - because it was linked to the main Manchester - Sheffield line before the Woodhead fire which closed the line.

Personally I'd be inclined to live somewhere which gives you the option of a train or tram into the city centre, because driving can be a nightmare: like any big city, the roads are very congested, with the A6 probably among the worst of all. That said, Glossop might be better for bike commuting, as the A57 route through Gorton, etc is a fairly wide road, so filtering shouldn't be too bad.

My Dad was a teacher in Duckinfield (hard work I think!), then various primary schools in and around Stockport over a period of around 30 years - also seemed to be hard work, but he retired a few years ago now. Some nice-ish primary schools around those parts, particularly in the more south / south-central Manchester / Stockport areas - depends what you want though.

Hope that's of some interest / help! Feel free to reply / PM / email me if you want any more info.

Stuart.

EDIT - I've just thought - the friend I had in Tintwistle was a property developer (or the daughter of a property developer) - and she's now helping to run the family business - they used to quite often have the odd empty house which had either just been renovated or was available for let - I'll drop her an email and see if they've got anything.

650EssexBoy said:
My Dad was a teacher in Duckinfield (hard work I think!), then various primary schools in and around Stockport over a period of around 30 years - also seemed to be hard work, but he retired a few years ago now. Some nice-ish primary schools around those parts, particularly in the more south / south-central Manchester / Stockport areas - depends what you want though.
...QUOTE]Did he ever teach at Great Moor school or Davenport School in Stockport??? I was raised there and consider it home although its teaming with crime now... :-(

AndyT :)

I personaly wouldnt move to Glossop - but that's just me. It seems like a bit of a rat run between Manchester and Sheffield IMO. Although the A57 and joined on motorway is a good route into Manchester.

So,

Maybe a bit south would be better. New Mills (where I live) Hayfield (a tough pricey) Chapel-en-le-Frith and Chinley (a touch pricey) would be the pick, and any small hamlets in between.

Chapel High School and New Mills High School both have good reputations.

The estate agents to contact are Rowcliffes, Chandlers, and Crank & Peach, all have local knowledge.

Other than that, all rail connections are OK, New Mills has two staions serving different parts of Manchester, and Chapel's station is a nice walk from the town proper - yet there is plenty of parking should you take the car.

Other than that, Buy some wellies and good raincoats, because it does rain a fair bit

HTH

Jamie

EDIT:!!!! As previously suggested, avoid anything that leaves you relying on the A6 to get into manchester.

650EssexBoy said:
(I don't think the 6th form provision over there was too good) Hattersley was and is rough, Stalybridge (Staly-vegas) not much better, QUOTE]

You cheeky f*cker! - Stalybridge was never "rough" and if your father was a teacher in "Duckinfield" he should have taught you how to spell it - its DUKINFIELD!
May I suggest you take an accompanied tour around the areas you are looking at with someone who knows what they are talking about and has lived around these parts for a considerable time.

Saddleworth

There's always the villages of Saddleworth to consider.
Direct train into Manchester from Greenfield. Good primary and secondary schools.

grandtrousers said:
You cheeky f*cker! - Stalybridge was never "rough"

I suspected that might annoy someone!

Didn't actually say it was rough though - just that it wasn't much better than Hattersley, which in retrospect is probably a little harsh! ;) I suspect I placed the words 'hattersley' 'rough' and 'stalybridge' slightly too close together!!

Apologies for that slight misconception - the Hattersley estate - 60's concrete type place, is quite different from Staly - a rustic old industrial town type place - like Glossop but with a bit more mill town heritage. However, I wouldn't live there myself, and would say it was certainly a tad on the rough side when my girlfriend went into a pub with her ex and was told to "f##k off back to where you come from" by one of the regulars - perhaps they came from Hattersley :nenau

Of course, in its favour, Stalybridge was the original home of Brass Bands, and LS Lowry found much of his inspiration for paintings of mills and workers from his trips to the town. It is also the home of the pub with the longest name in the UK.

Stalyvegas looked a bit tired every time I went there, and my mate who worked there as a policeman wasn't keen - it was the volume of boarded up and pound shops in the town centre which really put me off - maybe we were wrong - I admit openly I didn't live there, everywhere has its nice bits and its bad bits! :D

Apology accepted - Stalybridge certainly has seen something of a renaiassance since the reopening of the canal with numerous large investments in the town centre and funding from both European, British waterways and National heritage. Its quite difficult to find any properties for less than £100k now. The night life is second to none and there are now quite a few very good restaurants and cafe bars in the area.
In the whole of Greater Manchester the borough of Tameside has the lowest crime rate (within that borough Stalybridge has the lowest crime rate).
Having a Cheshire post code also helps with cheaper insurance.

Irlam, on the opposite side of the city is up and coming, new housing available at reasonable prices, great access to the motorway and the two main airports in the NW. Access direct into the city centre is second to none, crime rate is the lowest in Manchester (son works for GMPolice) and best of all it's 5 degrees warmer than Glossop and much less rain.

All depends where you are going to work, but if you have total freedom of choice the cold, rain, poor road access to the city would put me off. They don't build stone houses there for no reason, it's to keep the elements out.

And that's another point, if you are going there regardless, buy a stone built house.

:thumb

grandtrousers said:
Apology accepted - Stalybridge certainly has seen something of a renaiassance since the reopening of the canal with numerous large investments in the town centre and funding from both European, British waterways and National heritage. Its quite difficult to find any properties for less than £100k now. The night life is second to none and there are now quite a few very good restaurants and cafe bars in the area.
In the whole of Greater Manchester the borough of Tameside has the lowest crime rate (within that borough Stalybridge has the lowest crime rate).
Having a Cheshire post code also helps with cheaper insurance.
I used to go drinking in the Commercial in Staylybridge many moons ago as they had some great bands on. :clap :clap

Just checked back in again - thanks again for all the replies.

Am going to Glossop area with Mrs Repo for a recce but will check all around - Chapel sounds promising vis transport etc.

I just rang Glossopdale Community College to arrange to have a look round. The school secretary was very helpfu and her name is Mrs. Manifold. That sold it to me really, so the kids are going there.

Mouse said:
For some reason, I moved from New Mills to Merseyside a few years ago. Someone remind me why?

To be near me,perhaps ?? :p :p

John at High Peak Motorcycles in New Mills told me recently that thirty or forty years ago New Mills reputedly had the highest crime rate in England. Its much improved now though: mouse and I had no trouble in three or four years of living there.

Now we live on the Wirral, hmph :(

If you need to be near to Glossop, you could look in Chisworth and Mottram and Broadbottom: they're all pretty nice, although possibly a bit expensive and mostly cottages so you might struggle to find somewhere with a garage.

One other thing: the rail link from Glossop to Manchester is not very reliable: I often get from Merseyside to work in Central Manchester in less time than it takes a colleague who lives in Glossop. It might be ok if you're driving though.

Back
Top Bottom