Thinking to swapping my Goldwing for a K1600GTL

The 1600 engine is much more exciting to ride than even the new wings, feels and sounds like an F1 car, but the GTL. variant is very top heavy and you may find your pillion doesn’t like sitting exposed above you. IMHO the Grand America makes a better 2 up tourer but it’s not without its flaws including a 100 mph limiter and an unpleasant weave on motorways when solo. Model years to avoid? Fly by wire throttle on early bikes was a bit on off but I don’t think the engine has changed much if at all.
As Steve says, have a ride on a new Wing, it’s a far better overall package for 2 up touring unless you really need an inter continental ballistic missile :D

The 1600 engine is much more exciting to ride than even the new wings, feels and sounds like an F1 car, but the GTL. variant is very top heavy and you may find your pillion doesn’t like sitting exposed above you. IMHO the Grand America makes a better 2 up tourer but it’s not without its flaws including a 100 mph limiter and an unpleasant weave on motorways when solo. Model years to avoid? Fly by wire throttle on early bikes was a bit on off but I don’t think the engine has changed much if at all.
As Steve says, have a ride on a new Wing, it’s a far better overall package for 2 up touring unless you really need an inter continental ballistic missile :D

TBH I find my GW the most unconfortable bike I have ever owned. It's just so cramped. I've been running a 1200RT this summer and with lowered pegs and 'bar risers it is the most comfortable I have ever been since my CX days. The RT just hilights how bad the wing really is.

...also, it would be nice to drop all the luggage and do a bit of hooning now and then.

Point taken on pillion comfort 'tho

Are there any model years to avoid?

Having owned the GT variants since the bike was first released in 2011, I would say “No”. They depreciate pretty fast in the UK, less so on the Continent, where the bike is much more popular.

The first edition had a few issues:

Many pulled to the left; mine did. You only noticed the issue if you took your hands off the bars. It was never resolved and was not life threatening.

Leaks from the radiator cap. This affected not just the 1600 but several bikes with the same cap. Fixed under warranty.

Faulty left hand switch gear. Again, this affected bikes beyond the 1600 alone. Again, fixed under warranty.

The bike can display the so called ‘Egg whisk’ vibrations in some gears and some speeds. Mine did. It’s not life threatening.

The 2019’ish model had a problem with its clutch sprag gear. Mine did. Fixed under warranty.

Some bikes apparently had a problem with the newly introduced reverse gear. Mine never did. The reverse gear is excellent.

ALL models suffer if you don’t keep the very large (and very hot) radiator clean. The bike WILL overheat and can sometimes spit its coolant down the road.

Like most bike models, the bike has improved steadily with time. It is one hell of a lot of bike, all day long comfortable, can ‘scratch’ with the best of them (despite its weight) and goes like the clappers, if you want it to. Just be careful not to get it pointing in the wrong direction too often. The central locking is really good and works well with the keyless ride. The integration with the BMW branded Navigator devices, is seamless. The great thing about the bike is that it doesn’t need any bling added to it, beyond a side stand foot enlarger.

Are there any model years to avoid?

Having owned the GT variants since the bike was first released in 2011, I would say “No”. They depreciate pretty fast in the UK, less so on the Continent, where the bike is much more popular.

The first edition had a few issues:

Many pulled to the left; mine did. You only noticed the issue if you took your hands off the bars. It was never resolved and was not life threatening.

Leaks from the radiator cap. This affected not just the 1600 but several bikes with the same cap. Fixed under warranty.

Faulty left hand switch gear. Again, this affected bikes beyond the 1600 alone. Again, fixed under warranty.

The bike can display the so called ‘Egg whisk’ vibrations in some gears and some speeds. Mine did. It’s not life threatening.

The 2019’ish model had a problem with its clutch sprag gear. Mine did. Fixed under warranty.

Some bikes apparently had a problem with the newly introduced reverse gear. Mine never did. The reverse gear is excellent.

ALL models suffer if you don’t keep the very large (and very hot) radiator clean. The bike WILL overheat and can sometimes spit its coolant down the road.

Like most bike models, the bike has improved steadily with time. It is one hell of a lot of bike, all day long comfortable, can ‘scratch’ with the best of them (despite its weight) and goes like the clappers, if you want it to. Just be careful not to get it pointing in the wrong direction too often. The central locking is really good and works well with the keyless ride. The integration with the BMW branded Navigator devices, is seamless. The great thing about the bike is that it doesn’t need any bling added to it, beyond a side stand foot enlarger.

BMW missed out on a selling tag line.

“The BMW1600GT-guaranteed to go wrong in some small way-but it’s not life threatening “

As always, bods are free to form whatever opinion they like about anything.

I like the bike, what it does and what it offers. Its faults, such as they, are are sometimes common across other bikes in the company’s range and other manufactures too, the radiator cap being an example. It only takes a batch of say 500 caps to be out of specification and that’s 500 bikes with a potential problem and say, 500 bikes (with caps within specification) that do not have a problem and never will have. It is not that a problem happens but how it is dealt with, that holds the key. Your own employer knows plenty about that…… and are sometimes not very good at it. Each problem I had was dealt with quickly by BMW, up to and including the sprag clutch issue. None of them brought my life to a jangling halt, the longest delay being an afternoon on a Alpine mountain top.

I’d have a look at the RT, too.

I am no lover of the water cooled GS bikes but the same engine works really well in the RT. Almost as much bike as the 1600.

As always, bods are free to form whatever opinion they like about anything.

I like the bike, what it does and what it offers. Its faults, such as they, are are sometimes common across other bikes in the company’s range and other manufactures too, the radiator cap being an example. It only takes a batch of say 500 caps to be out of specification and that’s 500 bikes with a potential problem and say, 500 bikes (with caps within specification) that do not have a problem and never will have. It is not that a problem happens but how it is dealt with, that holds the key. Your own employer knows plenty about that…… and are sometimes not very good at it. Each problem I had was dealt with quickly by BMW, up to and including the sprag clutch issue. None of them brought my life to a jangling halt, the longest delay being an afternoon on an Alpine mountain top.
I agree with you. To an extent. It’s not the having of a problem it’s about how it’s resolved. My experience of bmw ownership over a period of 18 years on and off is that there was problems which were resolved quickly without any hassle and a loaner usually better was given. The reason I’m on a nt1100 is money. I had a f850gs sport and the dealer just wasn’t interested in taking it in part exchange. I’m €4000 better off AND have had no issues whatsoever. It’s the bike bmw should be making. JJH

I’d have a look at the RT, too.

I am no lover of the water cooled GS bikes but the same engine works really well in the RT. Almost as much bike as the 1600.

Cheers Wapping

I have a 2013 RT - strangely probably in the top 3 best bike I have owned (>34 at last count)

Have a look at the grand america it depends on your budget I’ve toured loads this year on mine and single rider or pillion with goldwing riders the bmw is a far better touring bike for comfort and luggage and six grand less for new . Good second hand ones on auto trader at present

Have you checked out the marque forum? ........... https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/uk-riders/

Plenty of info on the problem areas. Any Motorrad dealer can give you the lowdown on service & warranty history, as well as OS recalls.

Most issues with the early bikes were addressed by 2014, usually gearbox & handlebar switchgear. Engine corrosion can be an issue, if ridden all year - early on, BMW were generous? when asked to address this; not so these days.
2017 saw reverse appear, useful with a heavy bike, but some have found the system less than robust, so make sure everything works as it should.

What if you were 7 stone 6 and 3 foot 5 inches high

Back
Top Bottom