Potentially daft question

Disaster Area

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 2004 1150 RT that is new to me.

Is there anyway of telling if the brake hoses have been replaced at any time?

It appears to have the black rubberised ones fitted that don't looked like braided ones, but I don't want to start swapping them over if there's no need.

Braided ones (shrink wrapped black or you wouldn't be asking) will feel hard like plastic and be smaller diameter - maybe 8mm? Original lines will have manufacturers makings printed along their length somewhere and feel more 'rubbery'. Braided lines most likely to have stainless fittings, o/e will probably be rusty.

If in doubt, swap 'em out! Old rubber hoses can split, or swell internally blocking the flow of brake fluid, causing the caliper to bind.

Want to risk brake failure? :blast

If in doubt, swap 'em out! Old rubber hoses can split, or swell internally blocking the flow of brake fluid, causing the caliper to bind.

Want to risk brake failure? :blast

This is the approach I took with my 'new to me' 1100GS. The brake lines looked OEM, but could have been changed at some point in its 25 year life..... or not. They looked fine, but nothing in the history suggested that they had, so on went a set of braided hoses. I know you don't want to spend money if you don't have to and I'm broadly in agreement with that philosophy, but safety related items are non-negotiable for me. The replacement of brakelines has delayed things like getting the seat recovered or upgraded....

My rear brake was binding slightly [even flagged up on previous owners MOT] cleaned calliper & still binding, changed original black rubber hoses for braided all round, now perfect.
At your bikes age, would seem the sensible thing to do.

NEVER take chances / cut corners when it comes to brakes or tyres. Fit the best every time because your life depends on them.

I had an interesting conversation with the parts guy at the local main dealer.

When I spoke to him yesterday he sounded completely bewildered that I would consider fitting braided hoses. He said that he didn't know if there were parts available and he'd have to do some checking.
He rang me today and basically said the only option, other than having a set custom made, would be to order from overseas. His comment was pretty much that he had never heard of anyone swapping hoses and that he'd only consider it if the existing rubber hoses were visibly perished. He said the only time he'd personally swapped hoses was on a track bike when he was racing.

So go figure!

You local parts guy needs slapping.
only consider it if the existing rubber hoses were visibly perished
This comment from him alone suggests he has no idea what he was talking about.

The hoses can deteriorate internally with no visible external damage. As Cook1e says above the internal swelling will cause the callipers to bind, the hoses will totally fail at some point with no warning.

As your RT is approaching 20 years old I would swap them out if you have no idea if they have not already been replaced.

Motorworks do replacement braided hoses, not sure if they ship to your part of the world though.
Front
Rear you will need to check compatibility for your model.

You local parts guy needs slapping.

This comment from him alone suggests he has no idea what he was talking about.

The hoses can deteriorate internally with no visible external damage. As Cook1e says above the internal swelling will cause the callipers to bind, the hoses will totally fail at some point with no warning.

As your RT is approaching 20 years old I would swap them out if you have no idea if they have not already been replaced.

Motorworks do replacement braided hoses, not sure if they ship to your part of the world though.
Front
Rear you will need to check compatibility for your model.

I wouldn’t to employ that parts guy, thank you very much.
You can also try these guys for braided hoses, meant to be up there with the best.

https://www.helperformance.com/

Back
Top Bottom