1200gs wheels on 1250gs….TPMS not working

David64

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I swapped the wheels from my 1200gs (2017) onto my newer 1250gs (2021).
Ultimately the 1250 will not recognise/read the older wheels TPMS (which were working pre swap). Tried deflating both tyres fully and then inflating back to 36/42 but after a few rides inc a 4 day 800 odd mile short local tour they are still not being read
Will the dealer be able to recode the bike to allow it to read these TPMS sensors at the next service?
Does anyone know of any way to ‘force’ the 1250 to see these TPMS sensors?

I swapped the wheels from my 1200gs (2017) onto my newer 1250gs (2021).
Ultimately the 1250 will not recognise/read the older wheels TPMS (which were working pre swap). Tried deflating both tyres fully and then inflating back to 36/42 but after a few rides inc a 4 day 800 odd mile short local tour they are still not being read
Will the dealer be able to recode the bike to allow it to read these TPMS sensors at the next service?
Does anyone know of any way to ‘force’ the 1250 to see these TPMS sensors?

The usual drill is to swop one wheel at a time then go for a ride - when I swopped my front wheel it only took a few yards to recognise the new TPMS. I think its something like " Help! info overload" or similar if both are changed at the same time - albeit that I understand there is capacity for 4 TPS in the bikes memory.

Swap one at a time and go for a short ride or get them programmed by a dealer or someone with a GS911

So swap the rear for the original and go for a ride. Bike reads the original rear and that ‘forces’ it to also read the new front?
Then, as the new front would now be paired, swap the rear for the new one again and go for a ride. The new front is paired so this then forces the new rear to be read also?

So swap the rear for the original and go for a ride. Bike reads the original rear and that ‘forces’ it to also read the new front?
Then, as the new front would now be paired, swap the rear for the new one again and go for a ride. The new front is paired so this then forces the new rear to be read also?

Correct, it will program the one it doesn't know about

It’s possible to use a cheap sensor wake up tool and a GS911 to learn the new sensor codes, or use a GS911 to get the codes off Bike No1 ECU and then use it to manually enter them into Bike No2’s ECU.

I have swapped one wheel at a time, with mixed results, sometimes it has worked and other time not.
You can also delete the stored sensor id with moto scan. Rather than going to the dealer, you'd be better spending the money on either Motoscan or a GS911.

Stu

I have two sets on a LC and use a first gen GS911 the GS 911 doesn't wake them up or reads them, you have to manually input the numbers. You can get the numbers easy enough by going to a kwik fit and asking them to use their code reader fro a Vauxhall Astra 2008 or 2010. Then just write the numbers down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have swapped one wheel at a time, with mixed results, sometimes it has worked and other time not.
You can also delete the stored sensor id with moto scan. Rather than going to the dealer, you'd be better spending the money on either Motoscan or a GS911.

Stu

One at a time has never failed me. I have multiple options to program the sensors but one at a time 100% works

There's a great write up on ADVRider about the process of replacing sensors with the GS-911 and a suggested wake-up tool:
https://www.advrider.com/aftermarket-r1200gs-tpms-rdc-sensor-replacement/

Note that with the newest LC bikes, the XRDC controller needs to get the identifying information from the sensor, as opposed to the older models who simply needed the sensor to be awake. What this means is that the older wake-up tools that do just that, won't allow the ECU to learn a new sensor, you'll need a tool that can do a test or transmit option as well.

For a quick summary, you'll navigate to the XRDC controller on the GS-911 app, select service functions and start the "Learn new sensor" function. Once it has started, use the wake up tool to test/transmit the sensor and your service function will complete successfully.

What this means is that the older wake-up tools that do just that, won't allow the ECU to learn a new sensor, you'll need a tool that can do a test or transmit option as well.

For a quick summary, you'll navigate to the XRDC controller on the GS-911 app, select service functions and start the "Learn new sensor" function. Once it has started, use the wake up tool to test/transmit the sensor and your service function will complete successfully.

Since changing from a Hexhead to a 1250 I have purchased a new GS911 Wi-Fi but I still have the old basic wake-up tool (for GM cars).

If I am understanding your post above, you mean the wake up tool I have will no longer work and I need one that both wakes the sensor and then also tells it to transmit its code ? ....more expense ??

I will most likely just replace the batteries in my TPMS in future if they fail as I have a micro spot-welder for nickel battery strips (soldering doesn't work in my experience and heat buggers the cells) and I can repot them after using 'stixall' or similar.

There's a great write up on ADVRider about the process of replacing sensors with the GS-911 and a suggested wake-up tool:

Note that with the newest LC bikes, the XRDC controller needs to get the identifying information from the sensor, as opposed to the older models who simply needed the sensor to be awake. What this means is that the older wake-up tools that do just that, won't allow the ECU to learn a new sensor, you'll need a tool that can do a test or transmit option as well.

I have a GS911, Texa IDC5 and BMW ISTA+ but the GS911 is by far the easiest to change the sensor ID's on the bike.

So are you saying that the new 1250 models will need the expensive ‘wake up and transmit’ Autel device for £150 rather than the wake up only device for £10.?

Back
Top Bottom