Very happy with XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you like it. I like the big bright screen as I’m a myopic bugger now plus it’s easy to use. I doubt I will use half its potential.

For all the ex-military/Blue Light amongst us, if you were in the market for one you can get a serious discount of 40% off on these plus other Garmin products via the DDS/Blue Light discount app.

It really is a very good device. That it links seamlessly with MyRoute via the Garmin Drive app is just a bonus, too.

Glad you like it. I like the big bright screen as I’m a myopic bugger now plus it’s easy to use. I doubt I will use half its potential.

For all the ex-military/Blue Light amongst us, if you were in the market for one you can get a serious discount of 40% off on these plus other Garmin products via the DDS/Blue Light discount app.

Yes that’s how I bought it, it only cost me £262.

Just looked, and that is a great deal. What mounting options do you get in the box? I want to fit it on the R1250GSA standard nav mount bar, in place of the original BMW nav mount. Dont want to go down the route of the adaptor which sits in the original mount.

Thanks
Mark

When mounted on my Multistrada with a power supply direct to the bikes loom it’s worked perfectly, on a Ram mount with the cable connected to a DIN/USB adapter on an RT, it hasn’t.

At the most inconvenient times it goes so dark as to be unusable. Stopping, rebooting often works, but not always.

I bought the Garmin maps for the US on a micro SD card, that has been faultless and highly recommended.

Overall it’s the best so far.

The device going dark is often associated with the device switching to night time mode. I see the same thing when I enter the quite brightly lit Limehouse Link tunnel or go through some dark shadows of tall buildings in London. It most often coincides with the lights on my 1600, turning on in automatic mode.

I’d need to check but I think (guess) there is a setting within the device that turns off the dark screen function.

Edit….

I think it might be:

Home Screen > Settings > Scroll down to Display > Colour mode > If it is set to Auto, try switching it to Day.

That should, I think, stop the device switching automatically to dark mode. Give it a go; you can’t break it.

Last edited:
The device going dark is often associated with the device switching to night time mode. I see the same thing when I enter the quite brightly lit Limehouse Link tunnel or go through some dark shadows of tall buildings in London. It most often coincides with the lights on my 1600, turning on in automatic mode.

I’d need to check but I think (guess) there is a setting within the device that turns off the dark screen function.

Edit….

I think it might be:

Home Screen > Settings > Scroll down to Display > Colour mode > If it is set to Auto, try switching it to Day.

That should, I think, stop the device switching automatically to dark mode. Give it a go; you can’t break it.

Thanks, but I tried that, sadly it’s not the cause.

Just looked, and that is a great deal. What mounting options do you get in the box? I want to fit it on the R1250GSA standard nav mount bar, in place of the original BMW nav mount. Dont want to go down the route of the adaptor which sits in the original mount.

Thanks
Mark

You get a mounting plate for the bike plus various RAM mounting options and then you also get a suction cup and mounting plate to use in a car.

It’s good for navigating but the standard map sucks as just a scrolling map for general info. My previous Montana 600 which I sold had the OS 1:250,000 uk road atlas which you could zoom right out on to get a good overview of a large area without losing much of the detail. On the XT when you zoom out first all the little roads disappear (and you’ve not zoomed out much at this point) then the B roads and some A roads along with nearly all villages and towns until there’s just a vague schematic map with trunk roads, motorways and big cities. It’s rubbish for an overview of where you are.

You can’t buy the OS mapping for the XT.

I think I still need paper map actually.

It’s good for navigating but the standard map sucks as just a scrolling map for general info. My previous Montana 600 which I sold had the OS 1:250,000 uk road atlas which you could zoom right out on to get a good overview of a large area without losing much of the detail. On the XT when you zoom out first all the little roads disappear (and you’ve not zoomed out much at this point) then the B roads and some A roads along with nearly all villages and towns until there’s just a vague schematic map with trunk roads, motorways and big cities. It’s rubbish for an overview of where you are.

Respectfully I disagree that it is rubbish for an overview of where you are as it has Birdseye which you can use and that is crystal clear.

On the XT when you zoom out first all the little roads disappear (and you’ve not zoomed out much at this point) then the B roads and some A roads along with nearly all villages and towns until there’s just a vague schematic map with trunk roads, motorways and big cities. It’s rubbish for an overview of where you are.

For road riding the Garmin maps are more than enough IMHO. But, yes, they can be a bit sparse.
For other type of riding, you can install other maps.

As I wrote in other threads, I've been using John Thorn's maps with right of way information, both on my GPSmap 64s and the Zumo XT and they are perfect when off the ribbon of asphalt. And they are pretty cheap to purchase.
TT maps as well to go beyond the UK.

You can get Talky Toaster maps for the XT though, not quite the same as OS but pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get Talky Toaster maps for the XT though, not quite the same as OS but pretty good.

See above - process explained

Closed as the thread is turning into a multi-question “How do I do this?” “How do I do that” “Can it do this….” “But it can’t do that but it should” fest.

I have edited out the ones that I can to create bods their own separate threads in the XT section.

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom