How to display What3words points

Cheney Triumph

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This is my 4th Garmin unit & it is easily the best by far. I have had it for over 2 years now & it has never missed a beat. I love the way it works faultlessly in conjunction with 'what 3 words'. Great value for money also.

This is my 4th Garmin unit & it is easily the best by far. I have had it for over 2 years now & it has never missed a beat. I love the way it works faultlessly in conjunction with 'what 3 words'. Great value for money also.

The what3words feature is excellent, but I think it’s less to do with Garmin than the phone software.

I presume you open w3w, find your destination, then when you select “navigate” choose Garmin Drive as the option?

Wish that could be done on the Montana 700.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t know that you can transfer a What Three Words location into an XT.

Can you give me / us a simple explanation as to how it is done, please. Similarly, can you tell us please whether you are using an iPhone or an Android phone.

Thank you.

PS Whilst I await your words, I’ll have a play around, not least as you can’t break it.

On an Android phone, in the w3w app once the destination is selected, choosing “navigation” brings up a list of navigation apps on your phone. On Android this includes Garmin Drive but on an iPhone it doesn’t.

Actually, I’ve just checked and this only works on Android, not iPhone.

On an Android phone, in the w3w app once the destination is selected, choosing “navigation” brings up a list of navigation apps on your phone. On Android this includes Garmin Drive but on an iPhone it doesn’t.

There is a work around for iphone. Follow the process above, and select select Google maps as the Navigation option.

When Google maps opens, click the dropped pin that denotes the location W3W sent.

Copy the lat/long, paste that into Garmin Drive. Voilà.

Thank you, Berin. That explains why I cannot seem to find any way to get a What3Words location into my XT, using my iPhone. I do have a reserve Android phone, to use on my 1600, so I’ll give it a go with that.

Thank you as well for the workaround for the iPhone.

When I get a moment, I’ll cut the What3words posts from this thread, to create a fresh thread in the dedicated XT section.

Very happy with XT

There is a work around for iphone. Follow the process above, and select select Google maps as the Navigation option.

When Google maps opens, click the dropped pin that denotes the location W3W sent.

Copy the lat/long, paste that into Garmin Drive. Voilà.

Or do this on iPhone :

0ffb13445ba57e25e978d45a3fcc62ed.jpg

Select your destination then click ‘Navigate’, then select Apple Maps on the pop up

1739504ed646b5ef796430eb531476b2.jpg

Then click the 3 dots

775b751280ec0556e4cc510439b0f5be.jpg

Then ‘Share’ to Garmin Drive

40f0be60c3d2e0b938cf7576f6b28cbc.jpg

Or do this on iPhone…..

Select your destination then click ‘Navigate’, then select Apple Maps on the pop up

Then click the 3 dots

Then ‘Share’ to Garmin Drive

Thank you for the clear explanation and screenshots.

It works!

Sorry Wapping I missed your post, I am using a Huawei android phone, the steps are as 'Berin' states.

Too easy, thanks Martin and Richard.

Once again somebody on the forum knows the answer. :thumb2

@Arsey, I see your doing that on an Ipad???

i’m using iphone IOS 16 & when you click navigate in W3W it brings up the navigation app choices, you click google maps & it just loads the route but no other options in the 3 dots to send to garmin drive

@Arsey, I see your doing that on an Ipad???

i’m using iphone IOS 16 & when you click navigate in W3W it brings up the navigation app choices, you click google maps & it just loads the route but no other options in the 3 dots to send to garmin drive

You need to use Apple Maps, not Google !

Back
Top Bottom